PDA

View Full Version : 2nd march night - Shiva Raatri

giridhar
20 January 2011, 02:43 AM
The night of 2nd march is Shivaraatri, right ??

Looking for guidelines from one & all for spending the night in worshipful ways...

Shiva Puraana mentions simple pujas throughout the night every 3 hrs...

All sadhaks, please contribute regarding anything about japa, puja.. regarding how to keep the mind engaged for long hours..

Also, Mother Kundalini is awakened to greater extent on this night, they say !! True ??

Happy Worshipping , Happy Shiva raatri !!

Best wishes for all sadhaks
Jai Kaali

sunyata07
30 January 2011, 02:40 PM
Namaste,

I have checked elsewhere online and most of the calendars seem to indicate that Shivaratri this year falls on March 3rd. Of course, seeing as the vigil is kept all through the night, would this mean that actual worship and fasting falls from evening time of March 2nd (before 12am) to later into the early morning hours of the 3rd, or is worship conducted at night on the 3rd? It would be great if someone could clear this up so I don't get those dates wrong.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
30 January 2011, 03:16 PM
Vannakkam Sunyata: I think this is a question that keeps getting repeated. Firstly, panchangs vary. Asrologers vary. Of course 'Mine is right and yours is wrong" is the norm. :)

In other cases, a panchang is used without adjusting the dates or times to reflect the time zone change. Obviously, a panchang created and made for Kanchipuram, India isn't relevant time wise for Ireland.

Then there is the internatinal date line. Simultaneously when you are on the 5th at 1 AM, I am still on the 4th, at 7 PM or so. On the extreme, right where the date line is, one can step across into 'yesterday' or 'tomorrow'.

Here at the temple I attend we are celebrating it on the 2nd. But my 11 PM on the second is your 5AM on the third.

So for me, I just don't care that much and celebrate with the temple time, even if I had a difference of opinion. For one thing, I don't think the temple would stay open all night just for me. :)

Hopefully I didn't confuse you.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
30 January 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, EM.

I can't believe I had forgotten about time zone differences! Does my face feel red! :o

Incidentally, I had no idea that astrologers can and do vary on festival dates. I suppose that's good to know. It'll make me less uptight in the future.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
30 January 2011, 06:37 PM
Vannakkam: Yes, I checked here with other temples in town, and of the 2 that had a calendar posted besides the one I go to, one was for the 2nd, and the other was for the third. I remember also using nakshatra calculators from on-line, and getting different results for the same date and time and place. So go figure! Like everything else in Hinduism, there are variations.

Interestingly enough, on this city time zone site, you and are truly neighbours, my city coming right before yours on the chart, but 7 hours difference.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
30 January 2011, 07:31 PM
Namaste all,

Day this year :

Maha Shiva Ratri is falling on 2nd of March, 2011 (starting at 09:35 IST of 1st March) as per Panchanga published by the Astrologers of Kashi (Varanasi) which is considered an authority. The festival is celebrated in the daytime of 14th of Phalguna month of Hindi calendar.

What to do ? :

The Shiva devotees celebrate this festival with great enthusiasm. It consists of fasting, worshipping Shivalinga and chanting bhajans/Mantras of Shiva. The day starts with fasting. No food or water is taken during the fast. Normally people get ready by 10:00 or 11:00 hrs taking bath and wearing new/well cleaned clothes etc. & go to a Shiva temple with fresh water taken from a river (or pure water taken from some good source) flowers, bael leaves, fruit and sweets (for prasadam), incense sticks/dhoop, a little of bhaang (cannabis leaves) etc. The pooja starts with chanting of Shiva name with sounding the bells hanging in the temple. Till you reach the Shivalinga, chant any mantra or Shiva-bhajan repeatedly. When you reach Shivalinga on your turn, pour water (mixed with a little bhaang & milk if you so wish) over the Shiva linga slowly from above while chanting "Om Namah Shivaaya" mantra. Light incense sticks & wave in front of the Shivalinga. Apply sandal paste on Shivalinga and offer flower petals, Bael leaves and prasadam (fruit and sweets) on the shivalinga. You may take a little of the remaining sandal paste and apply on your forehead between your eyebrows making a simple dot.

Prostrate to the Shivalinga in reverence asking for His grace. Take your prasadam for eating yourself and distributing to your friends and family members. Before coming out of the temple, you should do parikramaa (pradikshNa) i.e. going round the Shivalinga 3-5 or 11 times chanting "Om Namah Shivaaya". Sound the bells (hanging in the temple) again while going out of the temple. While coming out bow to Lord Shiva again.

After worshipping Lord Shiva like this, people normally take prasadam and the fast is broken. However, some people keep fast for the whole day and night too.

OM

satay
30 January 2011, 07:54 PM
Namaste,
Thanks for the nice post devotee.

When you reach Shivalinga on your turn, pour water (mixed with a little bhaang & milk if you so wish) over the Shiva linga slowly from above while chanting "Om Namah Shivaaya" mantra. OM

I would like to point out that in punjab it is a custom that women do not pour water/milk over the shiva linga. They pour it gently at the base. I don't know where this custom came from and even if it is consistent in the rest of the country when it comes to women. Do you know about this custom and its origins?

That said, last year at the shivratri I saw only one woman following this custom the rest were pouring milk right over top.

Eastern Mind
30 January 2011, 08:12 PM
Vannakkam: Here it is definitely not a daytime festival. At our temple we have pujas (Homa for the first one, abhishekhams for the rest) at 6PM, 9PM, 12 midnight, 3AM and then 6AM. In Sri Lanka, one tradition that is difficult is to stay up the whole next day as well, something i have never been able to do. I think it has something to do with how tired I feel. Some people even go to work. :)

Usually less that 10 devotees actually remain through the whole night, with many going home after the 9 PM Puja, and maybe 30 staying for the midnight one, then many more head home. Then a few return just for the 6 AM puja. The only time I actually stayed the whole night was back when I was the volunteer priest, and somehow felt obligated to the hard core devotees.

Of course here only the priest does the abhishekham. At one temple they used to have an ice lingam carved for the occasion, and let it melt through the night. Not sure if they still do that, but it was an interesting adaptation.

Last year I went home after midnight. Will play it by ear this year.

Regardless of any regional differences etc., I pray anyone who participates has a grand ol' time going inward.

Satay: Interesting, that.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
30 January 2011, 10:12 PM
Namaste satay,

I would like to point out that in punjab it is a custom that women do not pour water/milk over the shiva linga. They pour it gently at the base. I don't know where this custom came from and even if it is consistent in the rest of the country when it comes to women. Do you know about this custom and its origins?

That said, last year at the shivratri I saw only one woman following this custom the rest were pouring milk right over top.

It is diificult to say if it has any scriptural support as women do the way they are taught by their mothers/mother-in-laws (and it may or may not have any scriptural support) & it is carried from generation to generation. I have seen women in other parts of India pouring water/milk directly over the Shivalinga ... failed to notice if ladies from Punjab/Haryana/Himachal do it differently.

There may be one reason behind doing like this, as heard from someone. Shivalinga's base is considered the place of Mother Paarvati. Women perform Shivaratri vrat for wishes linked with their conjugal life i.e. long life of their husbands or if unmarried, for getting a good husband. Now, mother Paarvati doesn't like other women approaching her husband directly due to her possessiveness towards Lord Shiva. So, some women offer water at the base which is the meeting point of Shakti and Shiva ... and that pleases mother Paarvati.

OM

PARAM
31 January 2011, 11:08 AM

There is no such custom, Men Women follow the Shiv ling worship tradition equally. I don't know where this custom came from, and where it goes

giridhar
01 February 2011, 09:53 AM
nice post by satay, devotee & all others & v good reading..

I think some one is correct when he says Shiva Raatri falls on 1st night as the calendar shows it on 2nd..

THanks one & all,

I am waiting for it eagerly..

Jai Kaali

NayaSurya
07 February 2011, 04:23 PM
I am fasting from here to Shivaratri this year, perhaps beyond depending on my handling. I wanted to miss the holiday known as Valentines Day this year as it is always a special time for me with many treats and special things. I wanted Shiva to have even this special time...so I hope you all will keep me some company counting the precious days.<3

Eastern Mind
07 February 2011, 06:07 PM
Valentines Day

Vannakkam: You mean the Capitalist Swine's Let's Double the Price of Flower's Day! I'm with you in the refusal. Besides, every day is Valentine's Day. Best wishes with the fast.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
07 February 2011, 07:52 PM
Namaste,

I am fasting from here to Shivaratri this year, perhaps beyond depending on my handling.

Wow! that's some dedication!

Ramakrishna
08 February 2011, 06:59 PM
You mean the Capitalist Swine's Let's Double the Price of Flower's Day! I'm with you in the refusal. Besides, every day is Valentine's Day.

:laugh: It was a fun "holiday" to celebrate back in elementary school, when we all would make cute little cards for everybody in the class. But as the years have gone by I see the complete irrelevance of it.

I am fasting from here to Shivaratri this year, perhaps beyond depending on my handling. I wanted to miss the holiday known as Valentines Day this year as it is always a special time for me with many treats and special things. I wanted Shiva to have even this special time...so I hope you all will keep me some company counting the precious days.<3

Best of luck with your fast NayaSurya. You are showing a lot of dedication to Lord Shiva, and of course we all will keep you company. I myself will be doing my first real fast this year for Shivaratri, although not quite as intense as yours :)

Jai Sri Ram

NayaSurya
08 February 2011, 07:21 PM
I love hearts and everything about Valentines that is devoted to the sentiment of love. Love is always wonderful and it's never a bad thing to celebrate happiness, devotion and love.

Though, I will admit that society has taken this simple earnest desire to celebrate these things and blown them up to a ridiculous level.

Still every year since we found each other again, Beloved Ron and I have went to a special hotel suite for a couple days with very wonderful concerts and events each day with a wonderful 1940's canteen with a live, 1940's Glen Miller style big band. It is such a special time...one cherished by these two busy parents for the whole year. See we decided not to have a celebration for our anniversary but combine it into one big Valentines thing....because I hate to have Ron waste money on me for trinkets...and do not need fancy gifts.

This precious time is being given to Beloved this year as he is our Supreme Valentine<3

sunyata07
09 February 2011, 02:50 PM
I am in awe of your devotion to Lord Shiva, NayaSurya! You continue to inspire me with your simple acts of love to Him.

Besides, every day is Valentine's Day.

Agreed. :D

Om namah Shivaya

James
28 February 2011, 02:02 PM
Some questions

I'm a Sri Lankan, and not many people around here (in my area) worship the Gods, and I've asked them and they're like, "Sorry, don't know" so naturally I dashed for the internet, leaving me with a few doubts I'd like cleared up. This is my first time celebrating Shiva Raatri, and here are some ridiculously simple questions on its traditions I'd appreciate if clarified:

1. On some sites it says you ought to boil black sesame seeds in water and wash yourself in that at sunrise, yet some say the evening. I'm also supposing you're supposed to wash your hair as well for the purification process.

2. I'm not sure what bhasm (holy ashes) is, but they'd probably be offering it in the temples, so I would I still need to do it in the morning?

3. Offering prayers to the Sun God, Vishnu and Shiva in the morning as purification - when you say prayers, it means chanting their respective mantras? Eg: 'Om Namah Shiva' , 'Om Namoh Narayana' , etc? And what mantra is associated with Lord Surya(Sun God)?

4. I'm planning on taking a fast eating nothing at all; but is it allowed to drink water at the least?

5. What are keertans or jaagrans?

6. Since prayers have to be done every 3 hours, when am I to start? I don't have a Shiva statue or lingam at home, so would meditation and chanting prayers and also reading the Shiva purana inbetween would be fine? My music teacher recommends I practice my music in between too -- (although I'm thinking it's because she knows I'm not regularly practising lol.)

7. If you know what usual bhajans, hymns and songs devotees sing, would you mind listing their names please? (or some links to them, I'm good with memorizing by ear) I hate it when everyone else knows what to sing, and I'm the only one with my mouth shut (unusual for a talkative guy like me, lol)

8. I'm on my menstruation cycle, so would it be appropriate to pray at home if I ought not to go inside the temple?

Lastly, in mahashivratri.org I've read somewhere:

"When a devotee spends an entire day in the Feet of Lord and worships with sincerity, his motion is controlled and evils like lust, anger and jealousy, born of Rajas are ignored and subdued."

Well, I'm hoping no one will be offended since I'm being genuine here, and am baring my soul here(although no one asks, yes, I know) but I'm saying this here only because I'm desperate, and I'd feel like killing myself later if I don't do the celebrations right...So well, ever since I was 5 or even younger (I still remember sitting on the library floor) I'd flip through or read many Amar Chitra comics, but I always continuously read only about Lord Shiva, and so I supposed I developed a small crush for him, you know like how a student develops a crush for the teacher, and now as a teenager...you can guess I suppose. I do worship the Lord sincerely, but whenever I begin a meditation centered on Shiva, or start chanting, uncomfortable at first, but as I go in deeper, very soon I do forget those worldly things (I don't mean full on pervy stuff ppl, just slight innocent crush stuff). Please excuse me here, I am trying to get a hold of myself and I don't mean to offend. Since I'm still a dumb kid and I'd be chanting/meditating in a holy place(the temple) is why I'm asking (for reassurance)

*Phew* Thanks a lot if you've made it this far. *Deep bow*

Arjuni
01 March 2011, 06:45 PM
Namast&#233;, James,

This is only my first year as a Hindu, but I will try to answer your questions.

There are two articles that I have bookmarked as very helpful for understanding Śivaratri, its significance, practices, and stories. One is here (http://www.yoga-teacher-training.org/tag/om-namah-shivaya/) and the other here (http://www.hindu-blog.com/2007/02/what-to-do-on-shivaratri-day.html). I think those articles should answer most of your questions, but here are a few particular responses as well:

Bhasma (http://www.hindu-blog.com/2010/11/importance-of-bhasma-or-vibhuti.html) or vibhuti is indeed holy ash from sacred fires, and while it's available at Indian markets and such, yes, it should be there at temple as well.

Mantras are one way to honour the Devas, but any words offered from your heart with focus and concentration are good prayers. Regarding Sūrya, one of his mantras is "oṁ sūryāya namaḥ". Another good purification practice/mantra is the great Gāyatrī mantra.

Yes, water is allowed when fasting, and drinking plenty of water (and herbal teas like ginger and peppermint, if you have them) helps.

I'm speaking only from my own experience, but when on my menses I stay home and pray privately, but stay away from my shrine and do not touch anything on the altars.

Please do remember, most of all, that beloved Lord Śiva is Ashutosh, Bholenath - our easily-pleased, kind-hearted Lord. In so many of the stories associated with him - including some of the Śivaratri stories - he most wants true devotion, faith, and love. The forms are not as important as the feeling; do what you are able, and please do not worry so much about "getting everything right." There is no "right" except in your heart. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

yajvan
01 March 2011, 07:29 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

ॐमहेश्वराय नमः
oṁ maheśvarāya namaḥ

http://projectconversion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Shiva_lingam.jpg

I thought to share a few ideas regarding liṅgaṃ from a past post...

Liṅgaṃ लिङ्गं- means 'mark' or 'sign'. It is my POV that śiva-liṅgaṃ is a 'mark' or stambha स्तम्भ( some write stamba स्तम्ब). Stambha is a post , pillar , column , beam. But what kind of pillar? A yūpa यूप stambha स्तम्भ, or sacrificial piller. This stambha some say, is a cosmic column; that is, it connects heaven or svar with earth or pṛithvī ( pṛithvī = the material level of creation)
Another view of liṅgaṃ लिङ्गंsuggests its connection to the following: likh लिख्- to paint, engrave, write; to make smooth, polish. The notion here is Śiva liṅgaṃ as the 'mark' or 'symbol' suggests He is the Supreme Creator, the Supreme Sculptor of the universe ( from ' to make smooth, polish' suggesting the sculptor).
Another view: ling+gam : ling लिण्ग्- is to go to; gam गम्is to go towards or approach; Śiva liṅgaṃ is the 'mark' or 'symbol' which makes one go towards or approach Śiva. It is suggested that this liṅgaṃ is a natural object for meditation and the mind finds its ease with its shape.
oṁ liṅgaya namaḥ

I looked to svāmī Lakṣman-jū on this matter ( of liṅgaṃ) and he suggests it’s a mistake to consider the liṅgaṃ a representation of a phallus. I then remembered what svāmī Śivānanda said on this matter:

"The popular belief is that the Siva Lingam represents the phallus or the virile organ, the emblem of the generative power or principle in nature. This is not only a serious mistake, but also a grave blunder. In the post-Vedic period, the Linga became symbolical of the generative power of the Lord Siva. Linga is the differentiating mark. It is certainly not the sex-mark. You will find in the Linga Purana: Pradhanam prakritir yadahur-lingamuttamam; Gandhavarnarasairhinam sabda-sparsadi-varjitam—The foremost Linga which is primary and is devoid of smell, colour, taste, hearing, touch, etc., is spoken of as Prakriti (Nature) ."

praṇām