PDA

View Full Version : Who is "King" in your eyes ?

jasdir
24 January 2011, 07:44 AM
There is an chinese Quote: "An inch of time is an inch of gold, But an inch of gold cannot buy an inch of time."

We realise the value of time when the last moment arrives.

When the conqueror of the "World", King Alexander was laying on his death bed, he asked, "Is there anyone who can give me a breath of his life? In exchange I will give him my whole empire."

There was no answer and then alexander said, I wasted millions of my breaths in carving out an empire in exchange of which i cannot get a single breath!, so what is the use of this what i have conquered.

So now question on the board is:

Who is really a KING in your eyes ?

_/\_ "Namaste"
Jasdir

Eastern Mind
24 January 2011, 07:58 AM
Vannakkam: Personally, it is Siva who is king. But that's because I'm a Saiva soul. Others may view Krishna, Venkateshwara, etc. as kings. In the temples, we treat the Gods as if they were kings. We crown them, we bedeck them with jewels. We prostrate ourselves to them. We put them 'higher ' than us. We address them as 'Lord'. However, in the advaitic non-dual perspective, the true Self within would be King.

In the external world of people, there is no difference between king and pauper. It reminds me of Death being called "The Great Equaliser".

Aum Namasivaya

TheOne
24 January 2011, 02:42 PM
Who is King? I believe the realized soul is the only one worthy of such a title even though he will reject it. Shiva, Krishna, Ganesha, Brahma, etc. They are all the noble of the noble.

Also, in response to Eastern Mind in regards to death being the great equalizer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Bernt_Notke_Danse_Macabre.jpg

Adhvagat
24 January 2011, 04:02 PM
Please let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

In the external world of people, there is no difference between king and pauper. It reminds me of Death being called "The Great Equaliser".

Aum Namasivaya

EM... Don't you believe in Varnashram Dharma?

Eastern Mind
24 January 2011, 04:51 PM
Please let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

EM... Don't you believe in Varnashram Dharma?

Vannakkam Pietro: I am not sure what you mean. In the various discussions we've had on here, there is debate, and differences. So before I enter the door of the Devil here, I'd like to know how you personally define it.

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
24 January 2011, 07:35 PM
You said that "in the external world of people, there is no difference between king and pauper", however, we know that people's Varnas and Ashrams determine their place in society. Otherwise, we'd be forced to conclude that a man only qualified to do manual labor would also be qualified to rule a whole country.

So what is your take on this?

Eastern Mind
24 January 2011, 08:42 PM
You said that "in the external world of people, there is no difference between king and pauper", however, we know that people's Varnas and Ashrams determine their place in society. Otherwise, we'd be forced to conclude that a man only qualified to do manual labor would also be qualified to rule a whole country.

So what is your take on this?

Vannakkam Pietro: Corrupt politicians are qualified? Not in my eyes. A pauper who is wise would do a better job. Varnas and ashrams were earned by merit, not by birth back in the time. Now the whole system is distorted. There have been many instances of kings being mentally unbalanced,and not deserving of ruling a pig sty, let alone a country. So too have there been many instances of those born to a lower strata being able to rise out and become our leaders in religion and social reforms. That is my take. I can go back to the example I gave in the other thread: the woman selling garlands, and the 10 year old girl. Even many of our own religious leaders have disowned the concept of caste, as have I.

http://www.hafsite.org/media/pr/statements-caste-hindu-leaders

It is maintained by regular not always religious people because they fear a loss of control in society. Take the 'old money' in America as an example. Are they any more moral than some simple farmer eking out a livelihood. I try not to judge at all, but when push comes to shove, it would be on behavioral merit, not some supposed 'standing' in society. Even ashrams of life are distorted when you see 12 year olds who can act more appropriately and maturely than a 'supposed' elder.

Of course, you and I are not even at any varna at all by some peoples' definitions. So we wouldn't be able to discuss it, let alone hold an opinion.

Aum Namasivaya

jasdir
25 January 2011, 12:57 AM
@ Who is "King" in your eyes ?
As i want to share this with all of you here, so telling you firstly that i have pasted this from here: http://www.experiencefestival.com/wp/article/benefits-of-contentment

I hope you all will like this :)

One day one King approached Buddha and asked a question, when I look at your disciples I can see serenity, cheerfulness and a very radiant complexion on them. I have also heard that they take only one meal a day, but I really cannot understand how they maintain this lifestyle.
The Buddha gave a beautiful answer that was; my disciples do not regret what they might have done in the past but continue to do more and more meritorious deeds, It is not by repenting, praying and worshipping but by doing some service to others that people can overcome the mistakes that they might have done in the past, My disciples never worry about their future. They are satisfied with whatever they receive, and thereby maintain contentment; they would never say that this or that is not enough for them. That is their way of life. Therefore they are able to maintain a state of serenity, cheerfulness, and a good complexion as a result of that contentment.

Anyone can also try to maintain this cheerfulness by being contented. Should anybody ask why we cannot be satisfied in our lives although we have more than enough things, what would be the correct answer?
The correct answer to give is: "We have no contentment."

If there is indeed contentment, we would never say that we are not satisfied with this or that, We cannot satisfy ourselves due to conflict between our insatiable selfish desire and the law of impermanence, One of the best advices given by the Buddha for us to practice as a principle is, Contentment is the highest wealth.

A wealthy man is not necessarily to be a king. A wealthy man is in perpetual fear of his life; He is always in a state of suspicion and fear, thinking people are waiting to kidnap him, a king cannot go out without a security guard and in spite of the many iron gates and locks in his house, and he cannot sleep without fear and worry.

In comparison, a contented man is indeed a very lucky man because his mind is free from all those disturbances, He indeed is king. What then is contentment?

When a person thinks, this much is enough for me and for my family and I do not want anything beyond that, then that is contentment, if everybody could think in this way, then there cannot be any problems.

When we maintain this contentment, jealousy can never cloud our mind and thereby we allow others also to enjoy their lives, if there is no jealousy, anger also cannot arise, If there is no anger, there will be no violence and bloodshed and everybody can then live peacefully.

A contented life always gives one hope and confidence, an average man has only four requisites: food, shelter, clothing and medicine. No one really needs anything else for survival, It is surprising, how little we really need to be contented. Think about it.

_/\_ "Namaste"
Jasdir

PARAM
25 January 2011, 10:34 AM
You read Upnishads, they are great historic events