PDA

View Full Version : Something Profound (Help Understanding it)

Eric11235
04 February 2011, 08:24 PM
Vannakam,

Perhaps someone can help me. Today I visited my Mandir for the first time in a while. After Arati was some meditation. I brought my mala and has this day already done 7 circumambulations of it. So I started meditating, and something strange happened. I felt as if I had eaten a meal, and felt happy, upon the second go around, I felt more sublime, then literally like a tidal wave, I crashed during the third circumambulation (10th overall) upon leaving I felt an indescribable anger at nothing in particular. Does anyone have any insight into this? It was a profound experience but I'm not sure what it was.

yajvan
05 February 2011, 07:21 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté Eric

Vanakkam,

I felt an indescribable anger at nothing in particular. Does anyone have any insight into this? It was a profound experience but I'm not sure what it was.

Let me offer one point of view that may help you understand this. During spiritual practices (upāya, or one's sādhana) it is not unusual to have stress being released. This stress can be in the body, nervous system, or in the mind, or both. Yet there is always a corresponding result.
The release can be negative thoughts, it could be twitching of the muscles, it can be variety of experiences. So , one should not worry. The thoughts come and we just move on in our practice. What one needs to know is something good has occurred, a release of stress.

Let me give offer this for your consideration. The mind and body are tightly connected. Something happens in the body there is a corresponding event in the mind; something in the mind and the body reacts.
Lets take an example - you are walking down a dark street and something crosses your path. You are frightened ( via the mind). What occurs in the body? The heart rate increases, perhaps you jump back, you are startled. You then see it was a cat that ran across your feet in the dark. You calm down, yet the body still responded.

It does not have to be a negitive experience... let's say you see an old friend. Upon the encounter you are filled with joy, your face blushes, you may even cry. The mind and body are at work.

Like that , in various practices one can do something in the mind that affects the body ( like calming it down from meditation). Yet within that process some stress is encountered and released - the release can be an emotion, a stream of thoughts, a flinch. Good things occuring.

praṇām

Sahasranama
06 February 2011, 04:18 AM
Good explanation from yajvan.

I think the anger may have come, because you neglected your hunger.

Eastern Mind
06 February 2011, 08:07 AM
Vannakkam Eric: There could be many reasons for this. Mood changes, arising doubts on faith, even astral attack because you're in a temple, especially if the temple isn't functioning properly according to Agamic or some other established tradition. But regardless of cause, I'm with Yajvan that it shouldn't be seen too seriously. Consider it as you would a 'big wave' in the ocean, a larger than normal disturbance to your consciousness, and just let it go.

Hopefully all is well by now.

Aum Namasivaya

Eric11235
10 February 2011, 06:55 PM
Actually all is well now everybody, thanks for the words. In fact today, I felt a divine love of everything (literally) it was interesting performing japa with two seeds (Music and Mantra)

Adhvagat
10 February 2011, 08:03 PM
Isn't meditation the number one method to regaining prana?

A devotee and yoga teacher I know once told me that. He said it's even better than breathing, however I'd think that would be directly related to how much practice the person meditating has.

Vannakkam Eric: There could be many reasons for this. Mood changes, arising doubts on faith, even astral attack because you're in a temple, especially if the temple isn't functioning properly according to Agamic or some other established tradition. But regardless of cause, I'm with Yajvan that it shouldn't be seen too seriously. Consider it as you would a 'big wave' in the ocean, a larger than normal disturbance to your consciousness, and just let it go.

Hopefully all is well by now.

Aum Namasivaya

EM, isn't astral attack something a little extreme and dark to happen at a temple? I've seen you commenting about before and was a little skeptical about this.

Could you talk more about this?

Eastern Mind
10 February 2011, 08:30 PM
Isn't meditation the number one method to regaining prana?

A devotee and yoga teacher I know once told me that. He said it's even better than breathing, however I'd think that would be directly related to how much practice the person meditating has.

EM, isn't astral attack something a little extreme and dark to happen at a temple? I've seen you commenting about before and was a little skeptical about this.

Could you talk more about this?

Vannakkam Pietro: This is one of the reasons some temples have purity rules. Lower (asuric) forces follow blood, meat, anger, etc. just as they like to follow follow alcoholics. It gives them temporal places to hang out or inhabit. Like attracts like. Now most people either don't believe this, or the particular temple wasn't set up with psychic boundaries etc. It is also one of the reason non-Hindus are banned from some Indian temples: because the management feels non-Hindus may not be following the right customs. Whether you believe in it or not is up to you of course.

I believe in it because of direct experiential knowledge, but I won't go there. Suffice it to say, I've gotten up and left right in the middle of a puja. Really, its not a huge issue, more like just a big wave (maybe a muddy wave) splashing over the whole physical place, but in the ethers.

These agamicly designed temples also have their cleansings every 12 years called kumbabhishekams where these forces are cleared out.

Hope this helps a bit.

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
10 February 2011, 08:55 PM
How can I believe in something I know nothing about? Thank you for providing me the info.