PDA

View Full Version : No doors/locks for homes/shops

Believer
05 February 2011, 04:42 PM
Even in this day and age......

Ahmednagar (Maharashtra), Feb 5

Known for its homes and shops with no doors or locks, the temple village of Shani-Shingnapur in this Maharashtra's district Saturday reported yet another theft early Saturday, police said. Four thefts were reported in the village last year

Saturday's theft took place at the house of Dagdu Sheth, one of the members of the trust which looks after the main temple to Lord Shani (Saturn) in the village. Villagers believe that they are protected by Lord Shani, the presiding deity of the village and don't need doors/locks on their homes/shops; just curtains are used to protect the privacy of the occupants.

Ramakrishna
08 February 2011, 09:12 PM
Namaste,

I read in the news a couple of weeks ago about a bank that opened in India without any locks. The villagers believed it is protected by Lord Shani and anybody who steals from the bank will have to face His wrath. It shouldn't be too long before we hear of a robbery at that bank.

Jai Sri Ram

Eastern Mind
08 February 2011, 09:25 PM
Vannakkam: I grew up in a house where there were no locks. In my rural community no one had locks. It was beyond imagination. When we went to town and discovered my aunt had a lock on her door, it was a surprise. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Our high school had lockers, but no one put locks on them.

Someone has to have faith in a village, in people. India is a great place to try it out, I'd say. Beats in New York City. I remember visiting friends there some 20 years ago. Their apartment didn't just have a lock, but had 4 or 5, a couple of deadbolts, etc. It took my friend what seemed like 20 minutes just to open the door.

At some point, we just have to trust people, whether its giving up our passports momentarily to an Indian hotel, or making a donation to our favorite charity.

I drove through a village on the way to Palani. At the entrance to the place, there was a big sign that said, "The people of this village have decided to keep it clean. Please don't litter." Imagine no plastic, no burning refuse, etc. It was a small thing, but I sure noticed. That place was by far the cleanest of any we went through. It shows that where there's a will, there's a way.
I've also heard of restaurants (can't remember where) that operate on a donation basis. In other words, compare this place to those around it, and give us the equivalent amount of money that you think is appropriate for the food and the service. Last time I heard, it was doing a booming business.

I would hate to live in a world that had no trust at all.

Aum Namasivaya