PDA

View Full Version : Title "Swami"

TheOne
09 February 2011, 04:27 PM
I know its an honorific title but then again I don't know what conditions and who can be called a Swami. Please enlighten me

NAMASTE

devotee
09 February 2011, 11:49 PM
Namaste TheOne,

I know its an honorific title but then again I don't know what conditions and who can be called a Swami. Please enlighten me

"Swami" literally means Master. The one who has got control over his senses/desires and has become free of worldly bondage is called a Swami. This title is conferred on a disciple by his Guru when the disciple is admitted into Sannyaas (Monkhood) Ashram ( in any of the ten orders of Shankaracharya). He is given a title of Swami and also a new name by the Guru. The event of entering into Sannyaas is the occasion when the person breaks all his worldly relations & leaves everything of his past behind. It is a new birth for him ... he is going to be free from the vicious cycles births and deaths ... he no longer belongs to the family to which he was born, he disconnects his relationship with everything by which he was known before taking Sannyaas ... so it is a time of celebrations. He gets new clothes given by his Guru, a new name, and the title of Swami.

OM

Ramakrishna
09 February 2011, 11:59 PM
Namaste TheOne,

As far as I know, there aren't any specific or "set in stone" conditions or qualifications one has to have to be called a swami. But generally they are very knowledgeable in dharma, yoga, rituals, etc. I also believed they are first called that by their followers, and nobody would first refer to himself as a Swami.

ETA: What Devoteeji said is correct. I opened this thread a while ago and his response appeared as I was responding. Although I believe one can also be called a swami without being admitted into an ashram or monkhood.

Jai Sri Ram

PARAM
10 February 2011, 10:08 AM
I believe one can also be called a swami without being admitted into an ashram or monkhood.

Just like many people call themselves as Doctor, without any doctorate either.

Sahasranama
10 February 2011, 11:09 AM
I was given this name at birth by my father which is a little unconventional I guess, but whatever.

PARAM
10 February 2011, 11:15 AM
I was given this name at birth by my father which is a little unconventional I guess, but whatever.

He is talking about title and not name, now even grand Titles like Maharishi is available.

Sahasranama
10 February 2011, 11:32 AM
True, but it can be confusing for some people.

Eastern Mind
10 February 2011, 11:43 AM
Vannakkam TheOne: In the traditional sense, Devotee is correct. It is a transitional term given at the point of renunciation in a monk's path. But in reality, it has occasionally been self given. But I am wondering why you asked?

Aum Namasivaya