PDA

View Full Version : On multiculturalism

mohanty
12 February 2011, 06:33 AM
I have noticed that several countries in and around Europe have been declaring multiculturalism a failure. I compiled a list of state heads saying so here:

http://www.vmohanty.com/2011/the-death-of-multiculturalism/

I am interested to hear what people here think of this phenomenon. Is this a good direction for India to go in? Will it help get rid of some of our problems? Or will it be something un-Indian, seeing as how India's very nature is plural?

sanjaya
14 February 2011, 01:56 PM
Well India's pluralism only goes so far. After all, how do you tolerate someone who doesn't tolerate you back? With Indian Muslims, pluralism has worked all right. Given the large number of Muslims living in India, it's surprising how few problems we've had. Their religious beliefs state that we're a bunch of kaffirs, but at least they're not always trying to kill us (well, most of them aren't). Same is true of the indigenous Indian Christian population. I'm not so sure we can allow equal treatment of Western influences, though. Christian missionaries, for example, shouldn't be allowed into India under any circumstances.

Ultimately I don't think we'll face the same problems as Europe. Let's face it, not that many people want to emigrate to India, so we don't need to worry about assimilating new cultures into our country. In that respect, I suppose the only analogous problem we have (that I can think of off hand) is the Christian missionaries.

Eastern Mind
14 February 2011, 02:44 PM
Vannakkam: In Canada, we are quite split on it. Some traditional Christian conservatives are quite against it. Most of us aren't. I love it. You can see the whole world in a few days in Toronto with all the 'Little_____s. But here it is different because all the European cultures such as Spanish, Greek, Irish, Romanian, Italian, Jewish, are all included as part and parcel of the whole, right alongside all the Asian, African, and South American countries. Somehow in Europe, I can't see a 'Little Italy' in Paris, or a 'French Quarter' in Rome. I could be wrong though as I'm really not that familiar with Europe. Here we have a midsummer festival called Heritage Days that usually has about 70 pavilions celebrating that many cultures from around the planet, including South American, Asian, and European. The really off thing, though, which I noticed last time was that instead of appreciating the diversity like I do, most people buy the food and watch the dances only at their own pavilion. That seemed rather off. Step out of the box a bit. Of course here there is no culture. Igloos, maple syrup, ice hockey, great beer, and saying 'Eh' isn't really a fantastic culture.

I rate it here as a huge success.

Aum Namasivaya

mohanty
15 February 2011, 12:21 AM
As Sanjaya said, tolerance must end when it is expected to tolerate intolerance. That sort of defeats the purpose of tolerance.

In the name of tolerance, Hindus have been expected to put up with THE most adharmic of behaviour. In reaction, even the respectful nature of Hindus has suffered and they have become somewhat hateful and untrusting.

The point about multiculturalism is that within one nation, is it possible for the tolerant and the intolerant to co-exist?

Much of the European nations' fear of multiculturalism roots from the fact that in recent years, their own ways (of mutual respect and tolerance and co-existence) have been threatened by the segregation-obsessed nature of some communities. They seem to think they are under threat. I am not sure they are completely wrong.

sm78
15 February 2011, 01:24 AM
I have noticed that several countries in and around Europe have been declaring multiculturalism a failure. I compiled a list of state heads saying so here:

http://www.vmohanty.com/2011/the-death-of-multiculturalism/

I am interested to hear what people here think of this phenomenon. Is this a good direction for India to go in? Will it help get rid of some of our problems? Or will it be something un-Indian, seeing as how India's very nature is plural?

For me pluralism and multiculturalism are life and breath of being a Hindu. With undeveloped philosophical and sociological thought it is natural that Europe will swing from one extreme to another.

Eurpean secular pluralism was not based on any deep understanding of humanity, but merely a left wing liberalism. Now Islam as anywhere else has taken advantage of this liberalism and tolerange, and have exposed their violent fangs by means of death threats, street violence etc. So the knee jurk reaction is to attack pluralism. Yet, there are many other non-christian, non-muslim immigrants in Europe (aliebit in small numbers). Do they have raised any issues?

It will be pity, if in order to defend against Islamic fundamentalism, Europe falls back on the Christain fundamentalism and returns to its dark days of blood lust.

Islam and for that matter any fundamentalism is a problem. Root out fundamentalism, be intolarant to fundamentalism , but by all means do not start attacking people for wearing a different dress or for not going to church!

Ramakrishna
15 February 2011, 02:34 AM
Namaste,

I remember hearing when Merkel spoke out against multiculturalism, but I didn't know that several other prominent leaders have done so as well. I'm not too familiar with the situation in India, but as Sanjaya said, Christian missionaries should be banned outright.

I actually have a friend who is against the multiculturalism in Europe and he talks about how soon the Muslims will "take over" his ancestral land, Ireland.

Of course the United States is a completely different case, as it is a nation founded by immigrants and driven by multiculturalism. There can never be too many cultures in the US!

Jai Sri Ram