PDA

View Full Version : iti or thus...

yajvan
13 February 2011, 07:43 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

The word iti इति refers to something that has been said or thought. It can lay stress on what precedes . In the brāhmaṇa-s it is often equivalent to 'as you know'. It also has another use to mean 'thus'. It can be said like this íty uktvā , having so said or íti kṛtvā , having so considered , having so decided.

If we look to the 20th śloka of the 15th chaper of the bhāgavad gītā, it says iti guhyatamaṃ śāstram idam uktaṃ

thus (iti) the most (tama¹) hidden (guhya¹) scriptures (śāstra) known (idam) has been uttered, revealed (uktaṃ).

This is very interesting to me. Why so? Because iti infers completion. That is the highest knowledge has been revealed to arjun ( some write arjuna) within the 15 chapters offered by kṛṣṇa-jī ( some write kṛṣṇ).
Who see's this ? Abhinavagupta-ji's commentary on the bhāgavad gītā called gitārtha saṁgraha suggests this notion.

As I see it then the 1st 15 chapters rids arjun of his delema; the remaining chapters are ~extra credit~ for comprehension purposes.
This also passes my common sense test . How so? Kṛṣṇa-jī reveals to arjun the notion of skill in action, right action, the notion of brahman
and how to pursue it. This allows arjun to do his alloted duty as a kṣatriya¹ .

For one that is quite comfortable with the bhāgavad gītā we can see a change in gears as we go to the 16th, 17th and 18th chapters
yet the flow of knowledge is perfect.

praṇām

words

tama - in a high degree
guhya - to be covered or concealed or hidden or kept secret
kṣatriya from kṣatra - a member ofthe second order or caste , warrior; derived from kṣatāt+tra which bring us to trai 'a preserver from injury'