PDA

View Full Version : Methods of Meditation?

Aum namah Śivāya
13 February 2011, 08:06 PM
Namaste,

I was wondering about methods of meditation?

I just got a mālā, and have of course been using that for japa. Is it possible to pray this during meditation as well? I'm usually saying a mantra, anyway, and I find that the physical sensation of the beads going through my fingers keeps me from focusing on other bodily sensations to distract me from meditation, so that it becomes a lot easier for me. Is it not possible to go deep in meditation with this method, though? I'm having trouble focusing still, so just want to do anything I can to try to make that better.

What other methods do you suggest? I used to meditate a lot when I was younger, but am just now trying to get back into it to do it more.

How long would you suggest starting with? I want to do long enough that there is some visible effect, but not too long that it becomes a burden for me. Sometimes I find that the time I've allotted is too short, and I'm disappointed that it is over, and sometimes I can't wait until it is over. That is usually because I'm having some bodily discomfort.

Ramakrishna
13 February 2011, 08:37 PM
Namaste Aum,

You can definitely use a mala during meditation. I do and a lot of others do as well, especially if it helps you keep your focus and concentration.

Another method I would highly recommend, if you aren't doing it already, is pranayama. It is very effective for meditation and the overall well-being of the body. There is information on here about it and lots on the internet.

Really just go for as long as you feel comfortable with. It can be 5 minutes, 20 minutes, a couple of hours. It's really up to you and just go with what you are comfortable with. If you're having bodily discomfort and want to go for a longer time then try different positions. Best wishes.

Jai Sri Ram

Aum namah Śivāya
13 February 2011, 11:22 PM
Namaste Aum,

You can definitely use a mala during meditation. I do and a lot of others do as well, especially if it helps you keep your focus and concentration.

Another method I would highly recommend, if you aren't doing it already, is pranayama. It is very effective for meditation and the overall well-being of the body. There is information on here about it and lots on the internet.

Really just go for as long as you feel comfortable with. It can be 5 minutes, 20 minutes, a couple of hours. It's really up to you and just go with what you are comfortable with. If you're having bodily discomfort and want to go for a longer time then try different positions. Best wishes.

Jai Sri Ram

Thank you for those suggestions. I am very interested in pranayama, but I'm not sure what count to do it for. Something I had read once had suggested 9 in, 1 hold, 9 out, 1 hold, etc, but I found that I was out of breathe doing it that way. I'm not sure if the count matters initially. I will have to search around here for more information.

I'm glad to hear that I can use a mālā. It definitely really helps me, so I guess that's all that matters.

Eastern Mind
14 February 2011, 08:38 AM
Vannakkam Aum: From what I've read about pranayama is that it is key to breathe in for the same time time period as breathing out, so a count of 6-6 or 7-7 is ine but not 6-9 etc. It should be a deep breath but not a forced deep breath. To check if you are breathing diaphragmaticly, place your hand on your belly. It should rise gently on the in breath. Once this steady breath is established, you can move on to shifting awareness to something else. Bit it is the first step, and not necessarily that easy, as many of us breathe more shallowly than we should. After consistent practise, it becomes natural, just like any other muscle would.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
14 February 2011, 07:44 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Meditation is like swimming. If you stay on the surface level of the water you go here and there and there is no depth, going within. By being attached to the body sensations even with a mālā keeps one on the surface engaged in thoughts, action lists, emotions, etc. . If the mālā is used for japa and prayer, this is fine and good yet do not expect the ride to the bottom on the back of the mālā.

What are we looking for in meditation? As svāmī lakṣman-jū says, unminding the mind. When we have the mind involved counting the rounds, touching, etc. we are engaging the mind. This keeps us on the surface of the mind and we do not go within ( transcend). We wish not to be cluttered with the mind engaged. We use it as a tool to go beyond it.

re: time. It is wise to start with 1/2 muhūrta , or ~ 20 min~ to start.
If this is too much back off to 15 min. If not enough then go to 25 min; if it grows from there youur body will tell you (with time) what is right.

Last, it is wise to have some instruction so you are not pulled this way or that by opinions.

praṇām

words

mālā - string of beads , necklace , rosary
muhūrta , equaling 48 minutes and there are 30 muhurta in a 24 hr. period.

Ramakrishna
14 February 2011, 11:56 PM
After consistent practise, it becomes natural, just like any other muscle would.

Namaste Eastern Mindji,

Yes, I have heard that after a while it should become natural. After all, breathing diaphragmatically is the natural way to breathe, and that is how babies breath. I have been practicing pranayama consistently for a couple of years now during meditation and just at random times throughout the day, but I still feel like I am naturally breathing the wrong way when I'm not paying attention to it. I suppose it can take many years before it actually becomes natural again. Are you at that point?

Jai Sri Ram

sm78
15 February 2011, 01:55 AM
Namaste,

I just got a mālā, and have of course been using that for japa. Is it possible to pray this during meditation as well? I'm usually saying a mantra, anyway, and I find that the physical sensation of the beads going through my fingers keeps me from focusing on other bodily sensations to distract me from meditation, so that it becomes a lot easier for me. Is it not possible to go deep in meditation with this method, though? I'm having trouble focusing still, so just want to do anything I can to try to make that better.

What other methods do you suggest? I used to meditate a lot when I was younger, but am just now trying to get back into it to do it more.

How long would you suggest starting with? I want to do long enough that there is some visible effect, but not too long that it becomes a burden for me. Sometimes I find that the time I've allotted is too short, and I'm disappointed that it is over, and sometimes I can't wait until it is over. That is usually because I'm having some bodily discomfort.

one should start from the basic, concentrating on the sound of the mantra you are doing japa of. If you cannot focus on the object of your whole exercise, whats would be the point of doing japa of it? Synchronizing the mantra japa with in breath and out breath helps to keep the concentration. Let mind fly away after 2 rounds, just bring it back and dwell in the moment - on the sound and the rythm. Liberation is hidden in the moment, so what happens before or after (viz your mind running away or you thinking about food) will not matter if you can bring your concentraion back on the moment and dwell in it. When bliss starts to flow from the sound of the mantra, the rythim of your japa and you observing the same - you will automatically be less worried about mind running away. This is the basic.

Mantra is the verbal form of the truth. The deity's form is the physical form of the truth. Guru is the ultimate form of truth. Hence advanced practioners will meditate on the form of the deity or guru or unity of them (guru-devata-mantra) when doing japa. But don't strain yourself - I find focussing on the sound of the mantra (with the understanding that it is the verbal form of truth, which will automatically lead you to other subtle forms) is helpful enough.

I am neither an expert nor an experienced meditator. I offer these small suggestions humbly based on what little I have come to understand.

sm78
15 February 2011, 02:03 AM
I don't think praying goes with practice of japa and meditation. If you can't get over praying, do that after your meditation, puja etc as is the common practice.

Kapila in Mahabharata, Shanti Parva: Those who perform sacrifices and other rituals without expecting anything, just because it is Dharma to perform them, are freed from all passions, egoism and sins, obtain certain knowledge and hold fast to it, and work for the good of all beings. They are always content, happy, peaceful, sincere and honest, and conduct themselves according to the Vedas.

One cannot pray without expecting something, so I think it is not the best form of worship.

Eastern Mind
15 February 2011, 07:49 AM
Namaste Eastern Mindji,

Yes, I have heard that after a while it should become natural. After all, breathing diaphragmatically is the natural way to breathe, and that is how babies breath. I have been practicing pranayama consistently for a couple of years now during meditation and just at random times throughout the day, but I still feel like I am naturally breathing the wrong way when I'm not paying attention to it. I suppose it can take many years before it actually becomes natural again. Are you at that point?

Jai Sri Ram

Vannakkam RK: No.:) A few months back I was sitting in the dentist's chair and realised I was hardly breathing at all. I said to my dentist, "I'm not breathing," meaning 'properly' was to be understood. He replied dryly, "Well, I hope you start soon."

Aum Namasivaya

Aum namah Śivāya
15 February 2011, 10:38 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Meditation is like swimming. If you stay on the surface level of the water you go here and there and there is no depth, going within. By being attached to the body sensations even with a mālā keeps one on the surface engaged in thoughts, action lists, emotions, etc. . If the mālā is used for japa and prayer, this is fine and good yet do not expect the ride to the bottom on the back of the mālā.

What are we looking for in meditation? As svāmī lakṣman-jū says, unminding the mind. When we have the mind involved counting the rounds, touching, etc. we are engaging the mind. This keeps us on the surface of the mind and we do not go within ( transcend). We wish not to be cluttered with the mind engaged. We use it as a tool to go beyond it.

Thank you for your response. Is there a particular method of meditation that you would suggest? What is the best thing to focus on, to meet your definition, saying "unminding the mind"?

yajvan
15 February 2011, 12:09 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté,

Thank you for your response. Is there a particular method of meditation that you would suggest? What is the best thing to focus on, to meet your definition, saying "unminding the mind"?

Since I do not know you I cannot say what is the ~best~ approach for you. Why so? People are at different stages of their practice.

There are 3 types of practice one can take on , and you can see those stages here on this HDF Post :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18339&postcount=4 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18339&postcount=4)

The overall string IMHO will also assist you : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18339#post18339 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18339#post18339)

Yet that said, it is my opinion the the breath is the best place to start. This is where bhairava ( śiva ) begins with pārvatī. For this reason it is well grounded in wisdom and effectiveness. It is very simple but effective and profound.
You will find this technique in the HDF stings aforementioned.

Yet having a teacher/advisor/guru is always preferred.

praṇām

AmIHindu
15 August 2011, 09:10 PM
Namaste,

One cannot pray without expecting something, so I think it is not the best form of worship.

I don't understand here....
One can not even pray to take one's Sadhna level to next level ?

Example : 1 - GOD please culminate my mind into your Consciousness and Knowledge.
GOD please ceases my mind and bring me Chaitnya and jnana.

I always ask His help to give me success in my Sadhna.

Or are you referring to pray to any physical facility, like more money, good house

yajvan
15 August 2011, 10:58 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté,

Originally Posted by sm78 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=58429#post58429)

AmIhindu repsonds,

I don't understand here... One can not even pray to take one's Sadhna level to next level ?
Example : 1 - GOD please culminate my mind into your Consciousness and Knowledge. GOD please ceases my mind and bring me Chaitnya and jnana

As I see it, the expectation you are requesting to " please culminate my mind into your Consciousness" - is a request , an ~expectation~.

Yet that said, I am of the opinion a prayer can be said without asking. It is simply praise to the Supreme. of his/her grace, greatness, purity and infinite Being. Many a śloka in the ved are of praise - the 1st words of the rig ved is agni I adore...

If we look to the lalitā sahasranāma or 1,000 ( sahasra ) names (nāma ) of lalitā , śiva sahasranāma - 1000 names of śiva or viṣṇu sahasranāma - 1000 names of viṣṇu there is praise - by their names.

praṇām

Jainarayan
16 August 2011, 09:29 AM
Namaste EM.

Vannakkam RK: No.:) A few months back I was sitting in the dentist's chair and realised I was hardly breathing at all. I said to my dentist, "I'm not breathing," meaning 'properly' was to be understood. He replied dryly, "Well, I hope you start soon."

Aum Namasivaya

If you are in good cardio shape, which can come from learning to breathe properly, you will breathe like that. You'll take very short intermittent breaths most of the time, but every once in a while you take such a deep breath you virtually suck in all oxygen around you. That's keeps you supplied with oxygen for a while. That's your body using oxygen, and breathing properly and efficiently.

There was a time, as a runner and cyclist, and weight lifter, I breathed like that. Not anymore. :(

Jainarayan
16 August 2011, 09:46 AM
Namaste yajvan

hariḥ oṁ
I am of the opinion a prayer can be said without asking. It is simply praise to the Supreme. of his/her grace, greatness, purity and infinite Being. Many a śloka in the ved are of praise - the 1st words of the rig ved is agni I adore...

I've been scouring the internet (OK, maybe not the best source) for what I think are prayers of forgiveness, thanks and appreciation for help God has given me, and so on. But I cannot find a one, except the "O Lord kindly forgive my wrong doings, knowingly or unknowingly... " prayer.

What I do find are slokas, most of which are praise and adoration. I'm beginning to realize that those are the "prayers" I am looking for. Such that I carry some of them on laminated cards in my wallet, and recite them periodically. I call the collection my "wallet prayers".

I think "prayers" like the following:

Fair as a jasmine flower, the moon or a
flake of snow, dressed in white, her hands
adorned by the graceful veena staff, adorned
by Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, and the other
deities, protect me, O Goddess Saraswati,
remover of ignorance inert.

and

O Lord, protector of cattle, sea of compassion,
consort of Mahalakshmi, the daughter of the
ocean of milk, slayer of Kamsa, bestower of
endless mercy upon the elephant chief in his
distress, Madhava known through contemplation,
younger brother of Balarama, Lord of the three
worlds, lotus eyed one, protector of the gopis,

protect me, for I know not anyone but you.

are an example of combined praise and thanks, and supplication.

yajvan
16 August 2011, 08:28 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté,
For me , much inspiration comes from the 9th & 10th mandala of the rig ved.

Thou are wise, the art the seer, thou bestowest the sweet beverage ( from the soma plant - that is, the delight of existence); Thou art the giver of all things to those that praise thee.

Thou are He who provides both heaven and earth with viands; Thou art the giver of all things to those that praise thee.

Yet if one takes the time to study and review the śiva aṣṭottaraśata nāmāvali we can see it as 108 prayers. It can be viewed here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=%26%23347%3Bambhu (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=%26%23347%3Bambhu)

There is so much more regarding this idea. Yet the highest prayer is that of perfect silence, of perfect transcendence.

praṇām

heather.s
18 September 2011, 08:39 AM
is it "wrong" to just repeat an mantra or speak to a certain god as though you're speaking to a friend?

i would assume not...as i've achieved inner peace with some issues through praying to Ganesh and Shiva.

charitra
18 September 2011, 10:48 PM
is it "wrong" to just repeat an mantra or speak to a certain god as though you're speaking to a friend?

i would assume not...as i've achieved inner peace with some issues through praying to Ganesh and Shiva.

lots of hindus do that.;)

Eastern Mind
19 September 2011, 07:12 AM

Vannakkam: Ganesha is your friend, maybe your best friend, once you have a relationship established, so yes, that's how you would communicate. More like a really respected friend. I 'talk' to him all the time. The inner belief mystically in a properly consecrated temple is that during darshan he can see you 10 times clearer than you can see him.

(This is the view held by the natha sampradaya, and not by all versions of Hinduism.)

Aum Namasivaya

kannada
21 September 2011, 07:46 AM
Namaste,

Hi Brandon,

It's good that you want to learn to meditate but a budding practitioner really needs to know what meditation is before they start - believe it or not there are many who just blunder through with a method picked up from here or there. Meditation is a name for a toolbox that contains many tools, each for a different purpose. Do you just want to relax? Are you interested in out of body experiences? Is transcendence your goal? Or are you interested in Siddhis? Or perhaps working with kundalini? As one Buddhist monk says that one should work with the right method lest they achieve a high rung on the wrong ladder.

The tried and true way of Sanatana Dharma is that one should hear, reflect (on what has been heard), practice then realize (Sravana, Manana, Dhyana, Nididhyasana,)

All the best
k

internationalhindu
07 October 2011, 02:28 PM
I think the meditation technique mentioned in the following link would seem most appropriate for you. Meditation for Everyone (http://onlyhinduism.hubpages.com/hub/Meditation-For-Everyone)

The use of a japa mala will mostly be a distraction always since you will need to allot some of your mind's activity to maintain the continuous movement of the mala. Moreover, since japa malas are used to keep track of the number of times that you chant mantras, it would also be a distraction since you would be more concerned with the quantity than quality.

The most important outcome of meditation is inner peace, and that can only be achieved through proper control of your mind and it's senses. Though chanting of mantras is a very good practice, it may be advisable to start with simple mantras like 'Om' since it will help you gain mantra siddhi faster. You may find the info given on the blog mentioned in my signature useful, to understand better about 'mantra siddhi' and different mantras. May God Bless you

heather.s
17 October 2011, 09:55 PM
thanks for that! :) I have a necklace i wear all the time with a Ganesh charm on it...so i often stop during my day and say short prayers to him.

c.smith
21 November 2011, 03:18 PM
Hari Om!

Was excited to have found this series of videos. I've only watched the first of 4 but have already gained some insight and am looking forward to viewing the other 3 that remain. They can be found at www.sanatansociety.org/free_yoga_video/free_yoga_video_pm_how_to_meditate.htm (http://www.sanatansociety.org/free_yoga_video/free_yoga_video_pm_how_to_meditate.htm) - The segments run about 25 minutes each so it's a bit of a time commitment, but anything I can do to improve my meditation is worth it IMHO.

Please comment on the videos or the author if you watch any of them. I'd like you feedback, tips that have worked, or any other feedback.

Om Namah Sivaya!
Jai Hanuman!

Friend from the West
21 November 2011, 05:24 PM
Hari Om,

Thanks C.Smith for this gift. Spent 20 minutes on site upon discovering

your post and bookmarked. What a good resource. For the IT challenged

like this member is, liked the easy to download wall paper as well.

Thanks.

Jai Hanuman!

FFTW

c.smith
22 November 2011, 10:07 AM
Hari Om!

Perhaps a better link to the series because you can advance through the episodes. My apologies that I didn't post it earlier.

http://www.sanatansociety.org/free_yoga_video/teacher_peter_marchand_yoga_video_gayatri_mantra_meditation.htm