PDA

View Full Version : What in the wild world of Samosas is going on?

TatTvamAsi
14 February 2011, 02:48 AM
Namaste friends,

I've been missing out on all the action on HDF for the past couple of months as I was really busy with work (yes, that darned thing!).

Looks like we have quite a few nutcases (other than me) on HDF recently! ;)

Anyway, here's another nutjob that I came across on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CufVuxUWYJM

The title of that video is "Hinduism and Buddhism are Absurd!"

LOL.. this troll thinks he has understood it all and attempts to discredit both Hinduism and Buddhism.

I personally feel this is what most westerners who study Hinduism are capable of understanding. They have shown time and again that they read some abridged version of the Gita or worse, some translation by a westerner, and come up with absurd conclusions. I suppose they could claim the same thing of us with regard to christianity except many Hindus, like myself, have studied at a christian school, read parts of that garbage bible, and mingled with christians enough to understand them quite well. The reverse is definitely not true.

This is why these snakes in the grass must be nipped in the bud. There is no guarantee they could won't turn around and spew hate on Hindus and India while faking their "interest" in Hinduism presently; some already have done so brazenly on this forum!

Anyway, been out of the loop for a while so I thought I should log in and say hi.

sm78
14 February 2011, 03:11 AM
This is why these snakes in the grass must be nipped in the bud. There is no guarantee they could won't turn around and spew hate on Hindus and India while faking their "interest" in Hinduism presently; some already have done so brazenly on this forum!

This would imply our own lack of confidence and understanding of our religion when somebody attacks it with some inside information. Truth is truth, and it is fairly easy to defend, because the attack must be based on lies. BryonMorrigan demonstrated how easy it was to take apart a hindu impersonator with a secret agenda and expose the fangs.

Those who do an U-turn are the persons who have either have entered study of Hinduism with hidden agenda (mostly academics like wendy donniger etc fall in this category). With our own knowledge they can be taken apart, because in guise of academics they are telling lies.

Other set of people have hardly studied Hinduism in depth and with right motivation. They are most likely to be misinformed people who are easy to dismantle.

In any case, western people taking on Hinduism is a thing to rejoice. Discouraging it doesn't seem sensible just because few will turn back and attack with some extra information - unless we are utterly inconfindent about our own ability to defend.

mohanty
14 February 2011, 03:28 AM
Namaste friends,

I've been missing out on all the action on HDF for the past couple of months as I was really busy with work (yes, that darned thing!).

Looks like we have quite a few nutcases (other than me) on HDF recently! ;)

The title of that video is "Hinduism and Buddhism are Absurd!"

LOL.. this troll thinks he has understood it all and attempts to discredit both Hinduism and Buddhism.

I personally feel this is what most westerners who study Hinduism are capable of understanding. They have shown time and again that they read some abridged version of the Gita or worse, some translation by a westerner, and come up with absurd conclusions. I suppose they could claim the same thing of us with regard to christianity except many Hindus, like myself, have studied at a christian school, read parts of that garbage bible, and mingled with christians enough to understand them quite well. The reverse is definitely not true.

Anyway, been out of the loop for a while so I thought I should log in and say hi.

Youtube is full of such gems. I came across one where a kid (he couldn't have been more than fifteen) was saying horrible things about Lord Shiva. Then I found that he was using a "she" for Shiva. I laughed out loud and closed the window. It's just not worth it.

There are two types of doubters. Those who are sincere and really want to know. These people ask questions and listen to answers.

The other sort is the ideological doubter. Thes folks "doubt" because of already present agendas and do not want to know. Their work is marked by sarcasm, gross misunderstanding, and ignorance.

On a forum like HDF, these people can be argued with and the fallacious views exposed. On Youtube, not so much. If a guy has his whole account devoted to bashing a certain religion, there really isn't much arguing with him, is there? He has already "decided" that Hinduism and Buddhism are absurd.

mohanty
14 February 2011, 03:56 AM
Just watched the video. All I can say is, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." :)

It's always amusing to see Bible-peddlers speak of rationality and evidence, but even apart from that, this man was preaching to an off-screen choir. Let him have his day.

The scorn in his voice was obvious, but he is no threat to SD at all.

BryonMorrigan
14 February 2011, 06:57 AM

Oh, you would have had a lot of fun with "DarkForest." I can just see him now...foolishly Googling, trying to figure out the definition of "mleccha."

Ah, the streetcorner evangelists... A peculiar species on invertebrate. It's funny, in Ybor City, Florida (a part of Tampa), there's a "war" of streetcorner evangelists that occurs every weekend. Many years ago, I worked there, and would watch the fireworks. One group is a bunch of rabid "Westboro Baptist Church"-style Christians, with their signs claiming that everyone is going to "Hell," and the other side are a bunch of Atheists with signs mocking the Christian ones. While I share nothing with Atheists besides a disdain for Christianity...I can't but help cheer them on! (Notice that the guy in front's sign says, "Jesus Isn't Coming!" LOL.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JjsUQEwHYpk/SNgB-WD1LAI/AAAAAAAAAUw/EgESPYLdAh0/s320-R/IMG_1646.jpg

Sahasranama
14 February 2011, 07:37 AM
You gotta love that tittle, what in the wild world of samosas is going on. :D

It would have been entertaining if you didn't miss it. We should have a TTA alert button next to the moderator alert button for next time. ;)

sanjaya
14 February 2011, 09:37 AM
Oh, you would have had a lot of fun with "DarkForest." I can just see him now...foolishly Googling, trying to figure out the definition of "mleccha."

Haha, did someone throw the "M-word" at him? I thought I was here for the whole drama, but I seem to have missed that post.

Eastern Mind
14 February 2011, 09:55 AM
Vannakkam: Certainly I had to look it up about three years ago when I came on. Not exactly familiar with the derogatory terms between cultures. I think that's a good thing.

Sanjaya, I think what was meant was that TTA would have called him one, had the opportunity risen. I'm personally not sure of the most useful approach. Sometimes fighting fire with fire just increases the other person's resolve, when what would be more useful is diffuse the situation... get the emotion out of the picture, and then try to have a more rational discussion. The cops beating people up videos we see are because of the lack of training in diffusing methods. It's less of a hassle just to use force instead, I guess.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
15 February 2011, 03:12 AM
Namaste,

I love how in the beginning the guy says that if you don't listen to what God says, you will be "reduced to foolishness"...and then he goes on to spout out all that foolishness!

I personally feel this is what most westerners who study Hinduism are capable of understanding. They have shown time and again that they read some abridged version of the Gita or worse, some translation by a westerner, and come up with absurd conclusions.

Very true, and this is also what happens when westerners try to study and analyze Hinduism through their Abrahamic worldview and mindset, which is exactly what this guy did.

Jai Sri Ram

mohanty
15 February 2011, 03:44 AM

I agree. And it reminds me of the movie Avatar and what the Na'vi people said to Jake Sully. "We tried to teach you. But your cups are already full." Jake Sully could learn because he agreed to empty his cup.

Adhvagat
15 February 2011, 04:38 AM
It's funny how he appeals to the ego... Christianity makes you feel unique, you're already saved, you're a big guy, with big stuff, on your real only life, look how important you are in this life! "King in the castle!" like Borat would say.

If something is beyond this world or our perceptions, than it should not be studied and considered specially when sages with greater realizations that ours already walked this Earth and left a legacy to us.

Yeah, he looks like he's on an agenda there. Probably a guy with argumentative skills who got picked up by some church to work on Dharmic religion conversions.

And I also think he's not familiar with the concept of Acintya Bheda Abheda.

Very shallow and pathetic arguments even for someone with half-decent precarious study of the Vedas like me.

The example of the groceries makes me feel sorry for him... Low ball appeal to social moralism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZNSaCJiixw

mohanty
15 February 2011, 04:53 AM
That is a big part of the problem. If one were to go by what these guys say, one would have to conclude that all the meditation, all the yoga, all the inner realisation is ****. What matters is saying the name of Jesus and getting your head dunked in a pond. That is enough to make you a better to make you a better human being, even an enlightened master. :)

This is an insult to human beings everywhere. The message goes like this:

You are evil.
You are faulty.
Nothing you do can redeem you.
But if you say you accept Jesus, you are okay to go.
No seriously. No effort. Just Jesus.

If there is anything stupid anywhere, it is this.

Sahasranama
15 February 2011, 04:58 AM
I posted some logical inconsisticies from the Bible as a response to his video, but he banned me from his channel. Proves that they cannot defend themselves. :D

mohanty
15 February 2011, 05:01 AM
I posted some logical inconsisticies from the Bible as a response to his video, but he banned me from his channel. Proves that they cannot defend themselves. :D

Of course he banned you. You faithless heathen! :)

Ramakrishna
15 February 2011, 07:23 PM
Namaste all,

This is an insult to human beings everywhere. The message goes like this:
You are evil.
You are faulty.
Nothing you do can redeem you.
But if you say you accept Jesus, you are okay to go.
No seriously. No effort. Just Jesus.If there is anything stupid anywhere, it is this.

Another brilliant summation! That literally is the entire Christian worldview right there. Kind of sad...

How surprising! He can go on a street corner and rant against Hinduism using first-grade logical arguments from his Abrahamic worldview, yet he can't handle a response from an actual Hindu!

Jai Sri Ram

Adhvagat
16 February 2011, 01:46 AM
Coward.