PDA

View Full Version : Shrines and death

Eastern Mind
14 February 2011, 11:24 AM
Vannakkam:

This is a question for the Indian Hindus more experienced in the way of life than me. What happens when a person passes on and leaves objects (in this case murthis) to his or her heirs? What if the heirs don't want them? I don't really like the idea of my sacred Nataraja statue being sold at a garage sale or on ebay. I'm not saying my children won't want them but eventually there will be a possibility that someone won't want to continue the tradition. It seems something like demolishing a temple to me.

It's like giving up the family pet, or giving away kittens or puppies. You want it to go to a good home.

So what happens to the person's shrine when they pass away? The utilitarian things like vibhuthi holder I have no problem with. Its mostly the statues. Are they supposed to be placed in a river where the ashes are scattered?

Is there anyone here using your parent's shrine, even though they are deceased. What happens if more than one child wants the sacred murthis?

I know that broken statues have that happen to them. In fact, I've done it myself.

Any answers are welcomed.

Aum Namasivaya

mohanty
14 February 2011, 11:40 AM
At home, in my joint family, we have had a shrine for a long time. It came in when the house was built by my grandfather and has been there ever since. Grampa is 85 now but I suppose when he goes the shrine will remain in the house for as long as the house remains.

But recently, my dad cleaned it up and got rid of some old cracked statues. We gave them to the Mahanadi river (Odisha state).

I would suggest leaving it as a legacy to your family. If not, have it donated to a temple or trust of your choice.

TheOne
14 February 2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know where else to post this so sorry if it's a little random. I saw this on Youtube in the "top news" section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r23scKOi_6Y

It looks interesting, even though I have no clue what it means.

NayaSurya
15 February 2011, 06:30 AM
The other morning I was perusing craigslist and saw a huge Goddess statue though I could not tell whom is was...for sale for only 100$.

Apparently they had a relative die and it was amongst his things. So when you posted this I smiled because I was thinking about where would my things go.

I will be giving my things out to the children here, with so many...I am sure nothing will remain. I am concerned though about those lil viles of ashes that have become so popular here in the states. I know my children would like them.

The ones where they cremate you and split you amongst several tiny golden urns that you wear as necklaces?

This got me thinking about the old joke about "Great Aunt Matilda's Ashes" Where you have this aunt you never knew die and then your mother dies and gives the ashes to you. They inevitably get dropped on a floor and swept into the garbage.

I feel it would be best to just set them free upon this hill out to the wind instead of dragging a bit of this vessel around for others to one day just trash. Or maybe end up on Antique Road Show (TV show which appraises old relatives prized possessions). I have seen hair and all sorts of things on there.:rolleyes:

sm78
15 February 2011, 06:39 AM
Vannakkam:

This is a question for the Indian Hindus more experienced in the way of life than me. What happens when a person passes on and leaves objects (in this case murthis) to his or her heirs? What if the heirs don't want them? I don't really like the idea of my sacred Nataraja statue being sold at a garage sale or on ebay. I'm not saying my children won't want them but eventually there will be a possibility that someone won't want to continue the tradition. It seems something like demolishing a temple to me.

It's like giving up the family pet, or giving away kittens or puppies. You want it to go to a good home.

So what happens to the person's shrine when they pass away? The utilitarian things like vibhuthi holder I have no problem with. Its mostly the statues. Are they supposed to be placed in a river where the ashes are scattered?

Is there anyone here using your parent's shrine, even though they are deceased. What happens if more than one child wants the sacred murthis?

I know that broken statues have that happen to them. In fact, I've done it myself.

Any answers are welcomed.

Aum Namasivaya

Donate them to a temple or offer them in a river.

saidevo
26 February 2011, 10:23 AM
namaste EM.

I forwarded your query in the OP to HJS, and here is the reply I received from them by return mail:

Namaste Saidevo ji,

We thank you for your feedback.

If the murthis are installed by parents and children do not want them then they can either immerse them in water or give it to a temple.

In case of the murthis which are part of the Family tradition (Kulaparampara) which has been carried forward then immersion or giving to temple is not possible.

In case of more than one child wants the sacred murthis then they have to decide among themselves who will keep them.

Do pass our website to your relatives, friends and more persons and keep on visiting our website.

In order to see how you can participate in activities of Hindu Dharma visit

http://www.hindujagruti.org/profiles/

http://www.hindujagruti.org/activities/serve-dharma/

The present condition of Hindus is not very good. If we want to improve this then we ourselves must do spiritual practice and motivate others to do so.

Also read ‘Which is the simplest spiritual practice in Kaliyug?’

http://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/knowledge/article/which-is-the-simplest-spiritual-practice-in-kaliyug.html
Protest against ‘Issue of IBN Lokmat’s exhibiting Hindu-hatred’
http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/11207.html
Protest: M F Husain’s paintings on products of ‘Shalimar Paints’
http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/11223.html

Shubhkamnaye
HJS Sevak
www.hindujagruti.org

murugan
07 March 2011, 04:59 AM
If your children do not want to keep the shrine means, the best choice would be to donate them to a temple, where the shrine will be taken care by the temple authorities.