PDA

View Full Version : Regarding other religions

satay
17 February 2011, 09:18 AM
namaste,

This is for the new members but also the regulars of HDF. I have noticed lately that there is a lot of discussion/posts about non hindu religions on this forum. While it is good to have discussions about other religinos since we have forums for that on HDF, it is not good to simply mock them, especially when there is no one around from the other religion to defend it.

Let's take care that we don't turn HDF into a place that simply mocks other religions for the sake of it. Let's focus on Hinduism, the main purpose of this forum.

Thank you.

Adhvagat
17 February 2011, 09:31 AM
I agree with this.

I think if one really disagrees with a religion the best practice is to focus on philosophical inconsistencies.

Hare Krishna Hare Rama
17 February 2011, 12:37 PM
I agree.

Sanatana Dharma is about embracing the truths of other religions. It would be poor form to mock them.

Namaste.

Believer
17 February 2011, 05:24 PM
Let's take care that we don't turn HDF into a place that simply mocks other religions for the sake of it. Let's focus on Hinduism, the main purpose of this forum.

A_Krishna (Amen) to that! :)

Ramakrishna
17 February 2011, 11:36 PM
Namaste Satayji,

I have also noticed that as of late, and I've found myself contributing to a lot of those discussions. While it's necessary to discuss other religions especially Christianity as it pertains to being a threat to Hinduism and India, as well as any philosophical differences or similarities that lead to a fruitful discussion, I agree that we shouldn't just bash other religions just for the sake of it.

Jai Sri Ram

devotee
18 February 2011, 12:36 AM
I vote in favour of the motion (though I myself got carried away in one case) !

OM

mohanty
18 February 2011, 01:35 AM
namaste,

This is for the new members but also the regulars of HDF. I have noticed lately that there is a lot of discussion/posts about non hindu religions on this forum. While it is good to have discussions about other religinos since we have forums for that on HDF, it is not good to simply mock them, especially when there is no one around from the other religion to defend it.

Thank you.

I suppose I have been venting a bit too much too. Will keep this in mind.

Eastern Mind
18 February 2011, 08:02 AM
I vote in favour of the motion (though I myself got carried away in one case) !

OM

Vannakkam, Me too, on both counts.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
18 February 2011, 09:54 AM
I totally agree. :)

sunyata07
18 February 2011, 11:25 AM
Hear, hear! Less pointless arguments, more focus on Sanatana Dharma, please.

Om namah Shivaya.

satay
18 February 2011, 11:36 AM
namaste,
Thanks everyone for the understanding.

sm78
18 February 2011, 10:53 PM
I agree.

Sanatana Dharma is about embracing the truths of other religions.

Namaste.

As I said before, if we can avoid blatant universalistic generalizations of our great religions (the fellowship of sanatana dharmas) like above, fewer people will have the motivation and energy to mock other religions.

Believer
18 February 2011, 11:04 PM
The poster Hare Rama Hare Krishna seems to have chosen some very unkind words while describing SD. SD is a leader not a follower. It is ancient, original and does not need to examine other religions and 'borrow' from them. It is complete in itself. Perhaps with time and more exposure to SD, such statements will cease to reflect her thinking.

Sahasranama
19 February 2011, 05:21 AM
Universalism leads to a whole other kind of criticism against other religions, this is how universalist talk about other religions:

-Christianity is not bad, but the Christianity YOU are practicing is NOT REAL Christianity, but Churchianity.

-The Buddha taught Hinduism, but Buddhist have distorted the teachings and made up their own CONVOLUTED religion.

-You do not believe that all religions are equally truth? That makes you a FUNDAMENTALIST

-Universalists are implying that the unique teachings of any religion are just a bunch of hogwash that is only useful if it used as a tool to reach some abstract universal goal that underlies all religions.

Adhvagat
19 February 2011, 06:32 AM
SD is a leader not a follower. It is ancient, original and does not need to examine other religions and 'borrow' from them. It is complete in itself.

Exactly!

People who claim otherwise either don't know SD, don't even know what the word means or are still trying to accept christianity at some level.

Eastern Mind
22 February 2011, 08:36 AM
Vannakkam:

Bump.

Aum Namasivaya

Kumar_Das
22 February 2011, 09:38 AM
I agree with satay. I hold that our foremost focus is our own religion. To learn and discuss. That's the whole point of this forum isn't it?

But I am wondering regarding other members. Did anyone complain regarding this?

To those of you who may be complaining against Hindus who wish to uphold Dharma. Let me say that people who don't have the courage nor the intelligence to tackle other religions in order to defend Hinduism and prevent conversion attempts to other religions shouldn't be mouthing about shutting up those of us who do.

I think Tattvamasi, Sahasranama, Harjas, SpiritualSeeker and a few others do a great job in refuting and exposing the vileness of other religions.

Some

1) say they practice Hinduism or are mostly adherent to Hindu teachings
2) will take alot from Hinduism

-but-

3) won't claim that they are Hindu or speak up when Hinduism is under attack

-worse- still there are others who

4) even though they dont defend Hinduism, they have the audacity to, speak only against authentic Hindus who do infact defend Hinduism
5) sabotage authentic Hindus by making it easier for the asuras

If we are having mindless threads that simply discuss about other religions which are meaningless and of no good to Hindus. Or pure denigration then thats another thing. Considering that purely mocking is not constructive and a waste of time, space and resource. Pure mockery is something that Abrahamics do of Hinduism and Hindus. Intellectual critique of Hinduism by them is scarce but pure mockery/slander/denigration is profuse. Now this too is something that is un-Hindu. Hindus are not outright liars and bigots that blindly thrash other religions. Hindus are the least likely of all to negatively comment upon others. But there is a need to guard our own Dharma, and part of it is dissecting others so that vulnerable people don't fall prey.

anirvan
22 April 2011, 09:19 AM
i want to bring the attention of admin to look for such hate threads. one day or another....one is coming about new threads about ISLAM ...and then many jumps over there with muslim or christian bashing. but does it gives any advantage to us regarding our spiritual uplifting or any win on the war against bidharmis or terrorist.

we are polluting our own environment,when a guest visitor will come,first see such thread,he will opine that its another hate spreading forum.

either there shoul be some regulation or some special page where such hate discussion will taken place.

Harekrishna.

nitinsharma
22 April 2011, 09:39 AM
-Christianity is not bad, but the Christianity YOU are practicing is NOT REAL Christianity, but Churchianity.

Sorry to say so,They are wrong.How I hate the fact that I spent the best years of my life in a catholic school........and they say this of all things.
Seriously,like this thread states I do not want to defile this forum...wouldn't take me a minute to expose that scam called christianity.
Anyways,OT:I agree,let's keep this place HINDU.

Sorry to Sahasranama for the earlier post.Haste makes waste.

Sahasranama
22 April 2011, 09:41 AM
This is not my position, if you read my post, you would have seen that I said that this is how universalists talk about the subject.

Onkara
22 April 2011, 10:31 AM
"There is no such thing as bad publicity"

If people dislike something so much it is best to never mention it, never give it any publicity, because "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." - Oscar Wild.