PDA

View Full Version : Kuṇḍalinī Awakening?

Aum namah Śivāya
19 February 2011, 04:06 PM
I've been having a lot of strange experiences lately, and I'm not sure if it is kuṇḍalinī awakening, or a lead up to kuṇḍalinī awakening.

It started with a very cool energy going up the spine; this started about a week or more ago when I was meditating, doing prāṇāyāma. It reached up to about the Anāhata chakra that first time. After this I felt like I was in a dream state for a while, and had some strange sensations that evening when going to bed.

It's gotten stronger since then. Just the other day, the same thing was happening, but it finally reached up to the ājñā chakra. I felt a lot of energy within my body, and a lot of tingling. SEveral times during these experiences, I felt a great pressure near the top of my head, and I felt like the energy was either trying to burst out, or was just going to lift me off of the ground, though neither happened. Several other times, I felt a cool wind coming out of the middle of my forehead. These experiences always left me feeling very expanded, and in a dream-like state. In the days after, I felt very peaceful and happy, and began to see a light within me. Every so often, even if I wasn't meditating, I'd feel waves of this cool energy shoot up my spine, sometimes just to the heart, sometimes all the way to the head.

This morning, I meditated for a lot longer, because I went really deeply into it. This time it was a heat that I felt, instead of the usual coolness. This time, as it rose, I felt like I was expanding, and wasn't sure if my physical body could contain me. I felt waves of energy going up to my head again. At one point I felt an electric shock to the left of my spine, and electricity shooting throughout my entire body. There was a very intense heat in my spine, but sometimes it would flash a bit of coolness as well.

Also, after several of these experiences, it left me with a lot of muscle soreness with no perceptible reason. Also it made me twitch a lot in certain muscles.

So I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I don't know if it is a kuṇḍalinī awakening. Some people say that before the awakening, prāṇa flows through the sushumna nāḍi, and this can be felt as well. But many of the sensations seem to be that of kuṇḍalinī, and it has been very strong..

I'm also not sure where to go from here, besides to continue what I'm doing. I don't want to say it was a complete accident, because I knew of kuṇḍalinī, but I wasn't specifically trying to awaken it. It was just a technique I was doing, specifically spinal breathing and some other related things, and all of this was triggered.

I also have heard that one reaches self-realization once the kuṇḍalinī reaches the Sahasrāra chakra. Is this true, and how do I continue from where I am?

sm78
19 February 2011, 10:30 PM
Not being awakened and w/o any experience, all I can say and believe is that any experience is worthwhile if it fundamentally changes your psyche more towards dharma.

If we remain the same person after these tingling physical sensations with our old phobias, samaskaras, envy and prejudices still deeply ingrained in ourselves - the experience (whether it was indeed kundalini or not) didn't do us any good.

devotee
19 February 2011, 11:46 PM
Namaste ONS,

Whatever you are describing appears to be start of Kunadalini awakening. My advice is that you immediately meet some good yogi ... not the commercial ones who are selling yoga (not complete yoga but a limb or two) ... you need a really good one. I am not sure if you have some good saints nearby ... but please check if you have any of these organisations nearby :

a) Brahma Kumaris
b) Self Realisation Fellowship
c) Transcendental meditation centre of Mahesh Yogi
d) Ramakrishna Mission
e) Art of Living

These organisation are genuine as per my knowledge and can help you. You may contact a monk or Nun (in case of Brahma Kumaris). You need help as uncontrolled awakening of Kundalini can be dangerous if you are not ready for that.

OM

Aum namah Śivāya
20 February 2011, 12:44 AM
Thank you so much for both of your replies.

sm78, I completely agree with you that it is pointless unless it affects some change in the person. :) Thanks for that reminder.

devotee: I know what you mean. I don't think there is anyone around here; it is a rather small city. However, I have been interested in the SRF, so maybe I will check them out.

jasdir
20 February 2011, 06:58 AM
I've been having a lot of strange experiences lately, and I'm not sure if it is kuṇḍalinī awakening, or a lead up to kuṇḍalinī awakening.

It started with a very cool energy going up the spine; this started about a week or more ago when I was meditating, doing prāṇāyāma. It reached up to about the Anāhata chakra that first time. After this I felt like I was in a dream state for a while, and had some strange sensations that evening when going to bed.

It's gotten stronger since then. Just the other day, the same thing was happening, but it finally reached up to the ājñā chakra. I felt a lot of energy within my body, and a lot of tingling. SEveral times during these experiences, I felt a great pressure near the top of my head, and I felt like the energy was either trying to burst out, or was just going to lift me off of the ground, though neither happened. Several other times, I felt a cool wind coming out of the middle of my forehead. These experiences always left me feeling very expanded, and in a dream-like state. In the days after, I felt very peaceful and happy, and began to see a light within me. Every so often, even if I wasn't meditating, I'd feel waves of this cool energy shoot up my spine, sometimes just to the heart, sometimes all the way to the head.

This morning, I meditated for a lot longer, because I went really deeply into it. This time it was a heat that I felt, instead of the usual coolness. This time, as it rose, I felt like I was expanding, and wasn't sure if my physical body could contain me. I felt waves of energy going up to my head again. At one point I felt an electric shock to the left of my spine, and electricity shooting throughout my entire body. There was a very intense heat in my spine, but sometimes it would flash a bit of coolness as well.

Also, after several of these experiences, it left me with a lot of muscle soreness with no perceptible reason. Also it made me twitch a lot in certain muscles.

So I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I don't know if it is a kuṇḍalinī awakening. Some people say that before the awakening, prāṇa flows through the sushumna nāḍi, and this can be felt as well. But many of the sensations seem to be that of kuṇḍalinī, and it has been very strong..

I'm also not sure where to go from here, besides to continue what I'm doing. I don't want to say it was a complete accident, because I knew of kuṇḍalinī, but I wasn't specifically trying to awaken it. It was just a technique I was doing, specifically spinal breathing and some other related things, and all of this was triggered.

I also have heard that one reaches self-realization once the kuṇḍalinī reaches the Sahasrāra chakra. Is this true, and how do I continue from where I am?
Aum Namah ji, Are you in habit of reading religious books ? :)

_/\_
Jasdir

sm78
24 February 2011, 06:04 AM
I know what you mean. I don't think there is anyone around here; it is a rather small city. However, I have been interested in the SRF, so maybe I will check them out.

Nature has given enough power in human beings to tackle the situations she lands them in - be it a personal tragedy or a kundalini awakening. I don't see the sense in hankering after dubious organizations particularly telling them your personal experiences. If your experiences are as substantial as you think, you should be able to find solutions within yourself, or fate will take you to persons who might be able to help.

It is good to lookout for teachers and helpers, but organizations, particularly those founded on very dubious & rediculous philosophies and dogmas (eg brahma kumaris) can hardly help a real seeker. If you want to join the band wagon of self-delutional, psuedo intellectual and full of themselves idiots, by all means track these organizations down.

As I said, I am not sure if the experience you describe is kundalini awakening, since it is supposed to be very rare and life altering. Whenever there is a disruptive change you see in your body and mind, being close to nature, in the forests and near the streams help. Spiritual experiences often are preceded by some discomfort, so I am not discounting your experience - being close to nature as much as possible is a remedy to many vayu related discomforts, that;s all I suggest - quite uninvitedly.

Aum namah Śivāya
24 February 2011, 06:29 AM
Nature has given enough power in human beings to tackle the situations she lands them in - be it a personal tragedy or a kundalini awakening. I don't see the sense in hankering after dubious organizations particularly telling them your personal experiences. If your experiences are as substantial as you think, you should be able to find solutions within yourself, or fate will take you to persons who might be able to help.

It is good to lookout for teachers and helpers, but organizations, particularly those founded on very dubious & rediculous philosophies and dogmas (eg brahma kumaris) can hardly help a real seeker. If you want to join the band wagon of self-delutional, psuedo intellectual and full of themselves idiots, by all means track these organizations down.

As I said, I am not sure if the experience you describe is kundalini awakening, since it is supposed to be very rare and life altering. Whenever there is a disruptive change you see in your body and mind, being close to nature, in the forests and near the streams help. Spiritual experiences often are preceded by some discomfort, so I am not discounting your experience - being close to nature as much as possible is a remedy to many vayu related discomforts, that;s all I suggest - quite uninvitedly.

Thanks for your post.

I agree with what you say about a teacher. In addition, for much of my life, I've felt like God has not wanted me to have a teacher; if it was at all, only for a short period of time. But every time I would try, the path would be closed off, and I've had several signs in my own life I believe were from Go saying not to worry about it.

It was very life-altering. I haven't posted here in several days, and that was before the brunt of the entire situation took hold. My life has changed more in the past week than it has for a long time, but I'm not quite ready to talk about it much yet. Plus I don't want it to sound fantastical and exaggerated, because it is anything but that, but it's hard to write about it when many people are skeptical of such things.

Thanks again for your input. :)

sm78
24 February 2011, 08:12 AM
It was very life-altering. I haven't posted here in several days, and that was before the brunt of the entire situation took hold. My life has changed more in the past week than it has for a long time, but I'm not quite ready to talk about it much yet. Plus I don't want it to sound fantastical and exaggerated, because it is anything but that, but it's hard to write about it when many people are skeptical of such things.

Thanks for your reply.

In tat case, I think you are acting sensibly. No point in sharing one's internal experiences in public, as it will be at best inconsequential to either party.

I am sure you will certainly find guidance within or through the right persons if need be.