PDA

View Full Version : How to incorporate Hinduism into daily life?

bp789
19 February 2011, 06:04 PM
Basically, my question is how do I be a Hindu lol? It's not really that much of a part in my daily life aside from being vegetarian and going to temple on Sunday. I am 16 years old by the way.

Since I have a bad procrastination problem, I don't really get that much sleep, so I don't really do anything in the morning either. Yeah and just trying to focus and doing my work has never really worked for me, since I get distracted easily and most of my work involves a computer or I end up worrying and stressing about how difficult it is.

So yeah, I am pretty clueless on how to be Hindu......

Eastern Mind
19 February 2011, 07:34 PM
Vannakkam bp789: This is indeed a very difficult question you pose. Perhaps I would rephrase it to, "How do I think like a Hindu?" Let's consider learning another language. Now I can't speak from experience as I only know one language, but from what I have been told, it takes a long time for an English speaker, for example to actually start thinking in Hindi, or French, or Tamil. But eventually it does come, after many years. Practice, practice, and more practice. It helps in this case to be totally immersed in the new language.

So taking that as a thought, and transferring it to religion, I would just say the more you can immerse yourself in it the better. Got to temple twice a week. Find Hindu friends. Do things with other Hindus. Put Hindu 'reminders' like pictures in many rooms, in vehicles, etc. Wear Hindu clothing. Wear a mala. Find things that provoke your mind into remembering you are soul, not mind, not body. Learn to hum a bhajan or mantra, as a jingle in your mind. Certainly it is not easy, but each small addition will slowly have an impact on the subconscious mind. For me, it has been of great help to be married to a fellow adoptive with shared interest. By far and away the most common topic around this place is Hinduism. Patience is another key.

Best wishes with it, and if you're expecting a dramatic change in two weeks, two months, or even two years, I personally think that's unrealistic. I've witnessed many a 'Hindu' (myself included) fall back into another state very easily with the slightest bit of stress. Actions speak far more than words.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
19 February 2011, 07:36 PM
double post

Sahasranama
19 February 2011, 09:17 PM
Be a concious Hindu :
http://www.vedanet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132:be-a-conscious-hindu&catid=11:on-hinduism-sanatana-dharma&Itemid=2

bp789
20 February 2011, 01:29 AM
Well, I meant if there was any specific puja or meditation I should do, although your advice was helpful too.

c.smith
20 February 2011, 05:34 AM
Hari Om!

So much depends on your ishta and personal tastes - hinduism encompasses such a variety that it would be hard to just say do this or do that. Puja and meditation is a good starting point however. If I may, I suggest praying first to Lord Ganesh and building a relationship from there. He will bring you closer to the god most appropriate for your personal growth and to your guru. This however is only my opinion, others may vary.

In terms of meditation, an easy an effective way to start is with Yog Nidra. It's a "guided" meditation and it is suggested that one always practice it that way. It is very beneficial and can "show you the ropes" of meditation as it were. One of the best that I've found is by Swami J, another by Gurumaa.

Best of luck to you on the journey.

Adhvagat
20 February 2011, 05:37 AM
My experience and therefore advice is: Focus on philosophical study. From this on it will just translate into thoughts, actions, realizations and bam, you're beginning to live a life based on the Vedas.

As a Conscious Hindu, you must be knowledgeable about the philosophy and teachings of Sanatana Dharma, reading the Bhagavad Gita daily and familiarizing yourself with the meaning of Dharma. More, you must know that it isn't enough to merely read about Sanatana Dharma, but that you must also practice its principles (puja, meditation, arati, Yoga, etc.) and ethics (non-stealing, not lying, being noble, etc.).

This is from the link Sahasranama provided, that's it. Personally for me, several things still haven't started yet, mostly because I don't like to fake, I don't wanna pretend I want to do puja when I just don't. When the realization comes naturally I'll begin, just like it did when I stopped eating meat.

I know several people that received initiation on ISKCON and now are eating meat... What's the use for mechanistic artificially imposed rules and regulations? It should come from within!

That's why these two phrases inspire me the most:

- Om Tat Sat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Tat_Sat)
- Satyameva Jayate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyameva_Jayate)

Eastern Mind
20 February 2011, 08:21 AM
Well, I meant if there was any specific puja or meditation I should do, although your advice was helpful too.

Vannakkam: For starters then, 'Do something' every day. It can be 2 minutes to 5 minutes. It can be a s simple as having a picture of a deity around, and staring at it and saying 'Om _____ " (deities name in the blank) with some sense of reverence.:)

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
20 February 2011, 11:05 AM
Another tip, there are many bhajans available on Youtube. Pick out the ones that are easy on your ears, and listen to 1 or 2 every day. Here is one for starters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4yoA--e160

This bhajan's essence: Don't waste your precious life, chant God's name.
-

Shanti
20 February 2011, 09:18 PM
I would do any of the following:

-Read Bhagavad Geeta. If your up late anyway it wouldn't hurt to just read a few verses each night.

-Listen to bhajans or prayers whenever you get a chance. You don't have to listen to them all the time, maybe just one in car on the way to school or somewhere or while getting ready at home.

-If you have puja area set up in your home, try just visiting there after your shower. You can just say "Good morning" or just sit for a minute. Offer a flower or light a diya if you feel. You needn't do a full puja until you feel the desire to do so.

-If you want to meditate, meditate on the image of your ishta deva.

-Try to remember God several times throughout the day. I like to try for every hour, but that's not necessary. Just try to get in the habit that's all.

These things will help make you feel more comfortable in your Hindu "skin" and help you to feel like YOU are Hindu, not just you were born into a Hindu family and following the motions. From there it is easy to continue.

~S