PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Cricket World Cup

Ramakrishna
23 February 2011, 09:15 PM
Namaste all,

Anybody following it or watching any of the matches? I saw snippets of the opening match between India and Bangladesh and a little bit of the Pakistan and Kenya match. How good of a chance do you think India has of winning it all? Anybody living in India attending any of the matches?

Jai Sri Ram

satay
24 February 2011, 01:29 AM
namaste,
I am trying to follow it. I bought my first match that will air tonight. South Africa vs West Indies. Aside from Indian team, I like south african team especially their bowlers. India has a good chance of winning this world cup. They have the highest ranking among all teams.

amith vikram
24 February 2011, 03:02 AM
England team looks formidable. They have a good chance this time.

Eastern Mind
24 February 2011, 11:46 AM
Vannakkam: I hope no one here is this zealous: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12563578

In the meantime, I watch curling. :) A mental sport like billiards, for those of you who have never heard of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmrH20IA2Q

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
24 February 2011, 01:59 PM
Namaste all,

Anybody following it or watching any of the matches? Jai Sri Ram

sadlly the bowling squad doesnt complement/match their world class numero uno batting line up, that is the curse India will have to live with, probaly pay heftily or even die at the world cup.

Believer
24 February 2011, 02:10 PM
I am saving money by not buying any of the matches on cable. I intend to donate it to someone less fortunate than me, so that he can have a nice 'stupid Indian wedding'. ;)
-

Eastern Mind
24 February 2011, 03:57 PM
I am saving money by not buying any of the matches on cable. I intend to donate it to someone less fortunate than me, so that he can have a nice 'stupid Indian wedding'. ;)
-

Vannakkam: Believer, you live in a remote area of Antarctica? Where else is cable worth $100 000?

Aum Namasivaya

satay
24 February 2011, 07:35 PM
namaste,

sadlly the bowling squad doesnt complement/match their world class numero uno batting line up, that is the curse India will have to live with, probaly pay heftily or even die at the world cup.

Interesting. I feel the complete opposite. India has good bowlers but batting line though best in the world hasn't been making much runs. Did you follow the south african match series? If you did, you would know what I am mean. All the matches were a 'bowlers' game.

satay
24 February 2011, 07:36 PM
namaste,

-

What! That makes me feel really guilty now. Can't a man enjoy a match without feeling guilty...

:)

Adhvagat
24 February 2011, 07:38 PM
So cricket to India is like soccer to Brazil? :p

satay
24 February 2011, 07:40 PM
So cricket to India is like soccer to Brazil? :p

What is 'soccer'? :D

Adhvagat
24 February 2011, 07:42 PM
Soccer is the word americans forced me to use to refer to real FOOT BALL! :p hahaha

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/1/football-handegg.jpg

TatTvamAsi
24 February 2011, 09:11 PM
Soccer is the word americans forced me to use to refer to real FOOT BALL! :p hahaha

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/1/football-handegg.jpg

hahahahha.. good one..

Believer
25 February 2011, 10:24 AM
That is just one twig of our huge ethnocentric nomenclature tree. North American teams play baseball all summer long and at the end they have finals, called the WORLD SERIES.
We are shameless!:)

Eastern Mind
25 February 2011, 10:27 AM
That is just one twig of our huge ethnocentric nomenclature tree. North American teams play baseball all summer long and at the end they have finals, called the WORLD SERIES.
We are shameless!:)

Vannakkam Believer: As a member of that tiny State 51 somewhere north of you, don't get me started on this topic... :) I have too many friends on HDF I could insult.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
25 February 2011, 04:23 PM
As a member of that tiny State 51 somewhere north of you, don't get me started on this topic... :)
It is not easy living in the shadow of a giant. ;)

satay
25 February 2011, 07:14 PM
namaste eastern,
Did you know that Canada has a team in the World cup Cricket?
And we say World cup, we really mean it. :)

Eastern Mind
25 February 2011, 09:59 PM
namaste eastern,
Did you know that Canada has a team in the World cup Cricket?
And we say World cup, we really mean it. :)
Vannakkam Satay: No actually I didn't. Its composed of Indian expats?

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
25 February 2011, 10:28 PM
deleted by self

Eastern Mind
25 February 2011, 10:51 PM
Vannakkam: So I did some research. We lost to SL, oh no! of 14 players, it seemed to me only 8 had Indian names. But the best thing was those USA losers didn't even make it to the World Cup. Go Canada!! And Satay, please tell me you ARE hoping for the RIGHT team here.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
25 February 2011, 11:48 PM
namaste,

And Satay, please tell me you ARE hoping for the RIGHT team here.

Aum Namasivaya

Of course, you know it! Go Canada!

Ramakrishna
26 February 2011, 06:05 PM
Namaste,

Someday the USA will make it. But for now it's just baseball in this country :)

India is my team, but if they don't win then I'm going for the West Indies. Go Chanderpaul! Great player and a Guyanese native!!

Jai Sri Ram

Eastern Mind
27 February 2011, 09:44 AM
Vannakkam: I just figured out why this place seems inactive. England and India are having the match of the century at this very moment. At lest half of HDF is watching. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
27 February 2011, 02:00 PM
Namaste,

What a great match! I slept through a little, but still caught most of it. Definitely the most exciting cricket match I've ever seen, not that I've seen that many. I really thought India would have held on for the win, but those three sixes and 28 runs in the final two overs were disappointing. Another brilliant performance for Tendulkar, but Strauss outdid him for the Brits.

Jai Sri Ram

satay
27 February 2011, 02:05 PM
namaste,
I watched the Indian innings and went to bed at 7 am thinking okay england can't catch up this score. I will wake up to read the news India won but what the heck...

I missed the England innings...What happened with Ian Bell's out decision? He was out but umpires decided he wasn't even when the review system said that he was out? what kind of nonsense is that?

Namaste,

What a great match! I slept through a little, but still caught most of it. Definitely the most exciting cricket match I've ever seen, not that I've seen that many. I really thought India would have held on for the win, but those three sixes and 28 runs in the final two overs were disappointing. Another brilliant performance for Tendulkar, but Strauss outdid him for the Brits.

Jai Sri Ram

satay
27 February 2011, 02:06 PM
namaste,

Vannakkam: I just figured out why this place seems inactive. England and India are having the match of the century at this very moment. At lest half of HDF is watching. :)

Aum Namasivaya

I was watching the match and also on HDF at the same time doing some administration. :)

Eastern Mind
27 February 2011, 02:16 PM
Vannakkam: What fans won't do when the game is on! My grade 8,9 teacher shut down classes for us back in the days when the World Series was held in the afternoons. My cousin and I REALLY appreciated for two reasons: We loved baseball AND there was no school. The rest of my classmates just pretended to like baseball.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
27 February 2011, 02:28 PM
Namaste Satayji,

namaste,
I watched the Indian innings and went to bed at 7 am thinking okay england can't catch up this score. I will wake up to read the news India won but what the heck...

I missed the England innings...What happened with Ian Bell's out decision? He was out but umpires decided he wasn't even when the review system said that he was out? what kind of nonsense is that?

It was complete garbage, but apparently the rule is that since he advanced more that 2.5 meters down from the wicket, they can't go by what the replay technology says since its "inconclusive" :mad:

He only had 17 when that happened also, so it could have saved over 50 runs..

Jai Sri Ram

Ramakrishna
27 February 2011, 02:29 PM
Namaste Eastern Mindji,

back in the days when the World Series was held in the afternoons

Wow! You are old!! :D

Jai Sri Ram

satay
27 February 2011, 02:36 PM
Namaste Satayji,

It was complete garbage, but apparently the rule is that since he advanced more that 2.5 meters down from the wicket, they can't go by what the replay technology says since its "inconclusive" :mad:

He only had 17 when that happened also, so it could have saved over 50 runs..

Jai Sri Ram

This looks like some sort of setup don't you think? Looks like someone put a lot of money in their mouth and came up with this stupid decision. I am surprised the crowd didn't have a riot over it.

satay
27 February 2011, 02:39 PM
namaste Eastern,

Vannakkam: What fans won't do when the game is on! My grade 8,9 teacher shut down classes for us back in the days when the World Series was held in the afternoons. My cousin and I REALLY appreciated for two reasons: We loved baseball AND there was no school. The rest of my classmates just pretended to like baseball.

Aum Namasivaya

I remember when I was in school growing up in India, I didn't like cricket much and couldn't understand what the craze was about. On match days, even the principal was off or if there in school he would have a little transistor radio hidden in the drawer of his desk listening to the cricket commentary on radio. Most teachers didn't bother teaching aside from the ones that disliked cricket because their own children were spoiled by it. Some teachers considered it a 'slow poison' for the young minds. I don't know about slow poison but I conisdered it a complete waste of time for a student but that was when I was a student. Now, I don't have to worry about that so enjoy the game...

Ramakrishna
27 February 2011, 06:53 PM
This looks like some sort of setup don't you think? Looks like someone put a lot of money in their mouth and came up with this stupid decision. I am surprised the crowd didn't have a riot over it.

Yeah, I mean even Bell himself thought he was out and started walking off. At first it looked like they were about to start a riot!

Jai Sri Ram

Eastern Mind
03 March 2011, 05:10 PM
Vannkkam: The cricket song.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vPO0bngpA0&feature=relmfu

Not only that, but this comedian is very funny. (At least I thought so.)

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
21 March 2011, 11:57 PM
Namaste all,

I don't think there were any surprises with the teams that have been eliminated so far. Now only the big boys are left!

Jai Sri Ram

Obelisk
22 March 2011, 02:54 AM
I'm quite disappointed with how the Indian team is doing so far. Apart from the match against Bangladesh, it was surprising how the batting lineup completely collapsed in the last 10-15 overs of every match so far. I guess it's a safe bet they would've been trounced by West Indies as well, had it not been for Yuvraj and Zaheer. Not sure what's gonna happen on Thursday, unless they really work hard to rectify what's going wrong.

Ramakrishna
25 March 2011, 12:09 AM
Namaste,

Another great match between India and Australia. I was able to catch the last few Australian overs and the last half of India batting. They really picked it up at the end. I was worried when Gambhir screwed up and got run out, but Yuvraj did great and Raina did really well also. Really looking forward to playing Pakistan now!

Apart from the match against Bangladesh, it was surprising how the batting lineup completely collapsed in the last 10-15 overs of every match so far.

They definitely didn't collapse today!

Jai Sri Ram

Obelisk
25 March 2011, 02:27 AM
Yup, I think this was by far India's most effective performance on field, all around. :) Great bowling, great fielding, really sensible batting towards the end. Props to Yuvraj again; he's been getting the team out of sticky situations throughout the tournament. The Australian players also deserve credit for their dedication and effort. Can't wait for THE match against Pakistan on Wednesday!

pineblossom
25 March 2011, 05:02 AM
Well done India.

Believer
30 March 2011, 12:50 PM
Congratulations Team India!
On to the finals now!!
Good Luck!!!

Ramakrishna
30 March 2011, 01:35 PM
Namaste,

It was a great match. I had to go to class with about 20 overs remaining and Pakistan's RR a little over 8, so it really could have gone either way at that point, but I had a feeling India would hold on. I hope they beat Sri Lanka in the championship!

Jai Sri Ram

Ganeshprasad
30 March 2011, 02:39 PM
Pranam

congratulation India,

Pakistan could not handle the pressure

Clash in the final would be off an epic proportion.

Jai Shree Krishna

Rationalist
30 March 2011, 06:59 PM
Congratulations India! We sent those Pisslamic Pakis packing!

Eastern Mind
30 March 2011, 07:35 PM
Vannakkam: Even though I don't care, I think I'll pull for Sri Lanka just to get people upset. Karma from my father who pulled for the Montreal Canadiens just to bring out the anti-French sentiment in his WASH neighbours, and then used just that as a lesson to his kids on tolerance. :)

Go Lanka!!

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
30 March 2011, 07:51 PM
Vannakkam: ......used just that as a lesson to his kids on tolerance. :)

Go Lanka!!
I think your father overdid it. You have turned out to be toooo tolerant. :)

India had a big fight with the Lankans many millenia ago and Shri Ram defeated them. This time it is going to be the Indian cricketers whipping their a$$. ;)

Eastern Mind
30 March 2011, 08:20 PM
I think your father overdid it. You have turned out to be toooo tolerant. :)

India had a big fight with the Lankans many millenia ago and Shri Ram defeated them. This time it is going to be the Indian cricketers whipping their a$$. ;)

Vannakkam; But you can bet your bottom dollar that at the same time as I am pulling for SL on here, I'll let my SL friends know I'm pulling for India. (But maybe they are too, given the SL 'circumstance'. I'll have to pry an answer out of them and then hope for the other guys regardless I guess.)

The real sad thing is they're dropping Canada next time.

If only I could understand why they use that silly looking bat. I'm further from understanding this weird game than I am from winning a lottery. What the heck is an over anyway? A bowler bowls down pins on a wooden lane, not throws some funny weirdly stitched ball in some kind of a motion part way between javelin technique and baseball technique. If there is a class for cricket morons, count me in.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
30 March 2011, 09:20 PM
Admin Note

namaste

As if you give a flying turd about whether a pagan country wins in anything. Get out of here.

Where did this personal attack come from?

satay
30 March 2011, 09:26 PM
The real sad thing is they're dropping Canada next time.

I didn't know that. I thought Canada didn't do that bad actually. They did win one match but who cares they were there to get the experience.

If only I could understand why they use that silly looking bat.

Aum Namasivaya

You are really stirring things up here eh? I am not taking the bait. :)

satay
30 March 2011, 09:34 PM
namaste,
Congratulations to India for winning the match. A couple of things:
1. I was surprised to see South Africa out of the tournament before the semi finals.

2. I thought pakistan team was behaving well. I didn't see any camera shot that showed them swearing or anything like that. In return our team was well behaved as well because we didn't get provoked.

3. All media pundits who always doubt indian team's performance can put a sock in their mouth. You have been slapped nicely by the team.

4. I noticed on the Internet that even after winning this historic match with a good margin, articles about Indian victory are downplaying the win. What a shame. Why can't the idiot secular media support the indian team or show some respect, afterall they are in the finals! Now, if they lost to the pakis, I am sure everyone and their dog will exercise their god given right to trash the team but when they win...nothing...:rolleyes:

By the way, many thanks to Punjab Police and other security forces involved in keeping things in order. If there was even one incident everyone will complaining. Since they did an excellent job, let's acknowledge their efforts.

And what the heck is with Gavaskar? Why does he even open his mouth to make a comment about Indian team? He should be fired.

satay
30 March 2011, 09:36 PM
Admin Note

Im serious explain yourself. Om Shanti.

Instead of asking other members to explain things personally to you, leave these matters for the admin or a mod to handle.

Please report such personal attacks by clicking on the Report Post Triangle on top of the post tool bar.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Obelisk
31 March 2011, 02:23 AM
It was a really great match, and nice performances from both teams. The Indian bowlers were terrific this time around. :) But the SL team is in ferocious form and they sure have a really tough challenge ahead! The middle order is still kinda flawed and I hope they work on strengthening it.

sm78
31 March 2011, 03:00 AM
Call me the bad guy, but I had a feeling that the match was fixed.

Rationalist
31 March 2011, 08:29 PM
I had no idea Sri Lanka was as good as you guys say they are.

Eastern Mind
01 April 2011, 09:27 PM
Vannakkam: I read on a cricket site that scalpers were asking and getting R350 000 for a single ticket. 'Whoa," I thought. Is there any truth to this?

Go Canada! Thank goodness for the TV.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
02 April 2011, 12:20 PM
Congratulations Team India.
Another feather in their cap!

charitra
02 April 2011, 12:23 PM
congrats Dhoni, thats a captain's innings indeed, you proved your worth when its most needed, you share history with another great icon Kapil, finishing with a resound sixer. Well well you guys all deserved it, the precious trophy of world cup!!!!!! :D

Ramakrishna
02 April 2011, 02:24 PM
Namaste,

Congrats to India! I was a little worried after Sehwag and Sachin got out so early, but Gambhir and Dhoni really pulled through with their 90+ runs each. A very well deserved victory and a great cup.

Jai Hind!

satay
02 April 2011, 11:05 PM
Namaste,

Congratulations team India for claiming the World Cup 2011! It was rightfully yours!!

Amazing...:)

pineblossom
03 April 2011, 12:04 AM
Well done India.

devotee
03 April 2011, 02:06 AM
Thank you Dhoni & your team for making this dream come true for all Indians ! :)

OM

Ganeshprasad
03 April 2011, 06:47 AM
Pranam

What an achievement, great Team India, makes us all proud.

It was mayhem all over London and many parts off UK

traffic came to a stand still buses were made make a detour. Credit to Traffic Police to let the Indians celebrate. Triranga was fluttering proudly on Queens-bury underground station. The roundabout was jam-packed with Indians celebrating, full off mainly youngsters born and bread in the west yet there is this Indian in them which remains their identity make you feel there is hope yet.

For me Virat as the name suggest summed it up, brought a tear or two in the eyes.

"This goes out to all the people of India. This is my first World Cup; I can't ask for more. Tendulkar has carried the burden of nation for 21 years; It was time we carried him. Chak de India!" Virat Kohli leads the Tendulkar tributes

Jai Shree Krishna

Adhvagat
03 April 2011, 07:45 AM
It's interesting how sports and the sense of nationality that arises from victories manifests a strong feeling of accomplishment and congregational bliss. Perhaps the union of thought from many converging into one generates this, somewhat like realizing Brahman. However Bhagavan (iconic athlete, team leader) and an accompanying entourage is the catalyzer of this process.

Just speculating... :)

anirvan
03 April 2011, 08:41 AM
Congrats India,it was the fruit of collective prayer of 1 billion people.i was thinking its stupid to pray at lord for such silly things. but when sachin,shewag got out and there was pin drop silence. i was doing my puja and first time prayed for an Indian win as it will make 1 billion people mourned for a week.

god listened,INDIA HURRAY......:) :D

Obelisk
03 April 2011, 10:12 AM
It was an amazing match and really quality cricket. Excellent fielding in particular by India. The target was not really small and Sehwag/Sachin being dismissed so early was worrying, but Dhoni really saved the best for the last; epic innings there together with Gambhir and Yuvraj. That winning sixer is simply epic. :Cool: Kudos to Sri Lanka for putting up a formidable fight. We really deserved it... especially for Sachin! I loved what Kohli said about him; so true. :)

satay
03 April 2011, 11:06 AM
Namaste,
Yes, I could not believe that Virat said that. It was so spontaneous and natural. Smart kid.

For me Virat as the name suggest summed it up, brought a tear or two in the eyes.

"This goes out to all the people of India. This is my first World Cup; I can't ask for more. Tendulkar has carried the burden of nation for 21 years; It was time we carried him. Chak de India!" Virat Kohli leads the Tendulkar tributes

Jai Shree Krishna

Ganeshprasad
03 April 2011, 02:40 PM
Pranam

Namaste,
Yes, I could not believe that Virat said that. It was so spontaneous and natural. Smart kid.

Yes one to watch for the future

Jai Shree Krishna