PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Omega-3 fatty acids

Sahasranama
26 February 2011, 07:32 AM
Since this is a Hindu forum, there are many vegetarians on board. How many members watch their omega-3 intake?

Wherever flax seed becomes a regular food item among the people, there will be better health. ~Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.barleans.com/literature/flax/114-omega3-deficiency.html

I take grounded flax seeds and hemp seeds regularly. I also take a vegan DHA/EPA supplement (http://www.v-pure.com/) made of algae oil.

Flaxseeds and hempseeds have ALA which need to converted to DHA, this doesn't go very smoothly in most people. Convertion to DHA from ALA goes much better when you avoid eating trans-fats which are human fabricated fats that can destroy your health. Conversion is also low in (pre)-diabetics which is a very common condition among Indians, a healthy diet combined with exercise can prevent type 2 diabetes.

sanjaya
26 February 2011, 10:51 AM
I also take omega-3 supplements. I just use the supplements I find at the pharmacy. Maybe I should look into these DHA/EPA supplements too, though.

Sahasranama
26 February 2011, 11:28 AM
Most DHA/EPA are made of fish oil, you should look for one made of algae if you are vegetarian.

Ramakrishna
26 February 2011, 06:31 PM
Namaste Sahasranama,

Good post. Both of my older brothers were found to have slightly high levels of fat in their bodies, and their doctor recommended for them to take Omega-3 supplements. Since then I have also taken these supplements as a precaution. One of my brothers and I take vegan supplements but the other doesn't since he isn't a vegetarian and the fish oil ones are cheaper. None of them are overweight or anything, but my family suspects this is because of the amount of oil that my mother uses when making roti, which we eat a few times a week. But since then we have been eating a different kind of roti with no oil in it.

Jai Sri Ram

sanjaya
26 February 2011, 09:52 PM
Most DHA/EPA are made of fish oil, you should look for one made of algae if you are vegetarian.

I am vegetarian, but I admit I sort of swept the fish oil thing under the rug. If there's a vegetarian alternative that has the same health benefits, I would definitely want to switch to it.

satay
26 February 2011, 10:36 PM
namaste,

I am vegetarian, but I admit I sort of swept the fish oil thing under the rug. If there's a vegetarian alternative that has the same health benefits, I would definitely want to switch to it.

The alternative is flax seed oil.

Ramakrishna
26 February 2011, 11:30 PM
Namaste Sanjaya,

As Satayji said, you can get flax seed oil. I get the softgels at Costco, and I believe Walmart sells them as well.

Jai Sri Ram

sanjaya
27 February 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

So medically speaking, is there any appreciable difference between flax seed oil and fish oil?

Sahasranama
27 February 2011, 06:43 AM
Yes, flax seed oil has ALA and fish oil has EPA/DHA which is superior, because ALA needs to convert to DHA and this doesn't happen if you are not eating very healthy. An alternative to fish oil is algae oil.

For example: http://www.v-pure.com

Of course, if you can eat very healthy, avoid all trans-fats and processed foods, taking flax alone might be sufficient.

Also, people who are not vegetarian are also adviced to take algae oil:
1) It's better for the environment
2) Fish oil has heavy metals and other toxins