PDA

View Full Version : Is it paradoxical to say "I dont exist"?

The Occult
28 February 2011, 12:06 PM
Is it paradoxical to say "I dont exist" since when you say "I", it represents mere existence and when you say "dont exist" it means "Mere existence dont exist" but in the beginning you have asserted your existence by saying "I".Unless you are sure and certain of your existence you wont say "I" and then you say "dont exist" which appears to be contradictory.So isnt it paradoxical when you say "I dont exist"

upsydownyupsy mv ss
29 March 2011, 09:36 PM
I don't know which philosophy u used to ask whether it is a paradox. Before, I begin this discussion, I'd like to ask you, are u asking' this question in terms or shunyata vada ? or advaitha ? or dvaitha ? If you're asking this from the view point of advaitha, then I'd like to inform you that it all depends on the meaning of the word 'I' or 'I'ness that the devotee or philosopher uses. It does become a paradox, in terms of dvaitha and shunyata vada. But, I don't know about advaitha.

astrostudent
30 March 2011, 04:53 AM
It depends on what the 'I' is identified with when we make the statement. Suppose I call myself a cop and am not, then 'I don't exist' would only refer to my identity (or the lack) as a cop. Suppose we go further and relate all identity to "I" and deny it, it'd be pure awareness denying the "I".