PDA

View Full Version : Electro Magnetic Waves and the Universal Syllable

Eric11235
07 March 2011, 07:57 AM
Vannakam

Talking with one of my classmates, he told me an interesting (apparently true story). the story is a disciple of Ravi Shankar was with a scientist and the scientist was able to convert electro magnetic waves into sound. When the electro magnetic waves that came from space and were converted to sound. It produced the much loved syllable of OM. And the disciple cried because it justified all his beliefs.

If this is true, then my faith is strengthened in the ways of Santana Dharma. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It could very possibly be true, although I don't know the mechanics of the machine that did this.

this is a rough paraphrase the story itself is probably a lot different

sanjaya
07 March 2011, 10:42 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was going to offer a stern reminder that electromagnetic waves have a very specific scientific definition, and are not related to the vibrations that the Vedas discuss. But I have to say that this story sounds plausible.

It's possible to convert electromagnetic waves into sound. That's what happens every time you turn on a radio or television (which answers your question about the mechanics of the machine that does this). EM waves are being modulated so as to carry specific information that a speaker can use to make sounds. Astronomers regularly receive signals from pulsars, pulsating stars, or other astrophysical sources and play them through a speaker.

I'd be very surprised to hear a sound from an astrophysical source that sounds like a human voice uttering the sacred syllable. But I suppose that when God is involved, the realm of possibility opens up a good deal.

Believer
07 March 2011, 12:33 PM
I'd be very surprised to hear a sound from an astrophysical source that sounds like a human voice uttering the sacred syllable. But I suppose that when God is involved, the realm of possibility opens up a good deal.
Sanjaya, couldn't the sound of OM riding the EM waves via modulation have been broadcast from the next room? How do I know 'the waves' came from the outer space, except that the 'scientist' said so? :)

sanjaya
07 March 2011, 11:23 PM
Why yes, someone could just say OM into a speaker to produce the same effect. On the other hand, radio telescopes (and other similar-wavelength detectors) have very good angular resolution, certainly enough to constrain the signal source to a specific astrophysical source. Doesn't necessarily mean it's God. It could be aliens or something. But I imagine it'd be difficult to mistake it for a terrestrial signal.

Adhvagat
07 March 2011, 11:49 PM
Sanjaya I guess that's not what you meant but somehow it seemed like you were saying that in order for that observation to be valid the sound should resemble a person pronouncing Om.

I guess I got it wrongly.

Eric11235
08 March 2011, 07:04 AM
Vannakam

For clarification, the OM produced did not sound like the human voice, it was a machine that produced the noise. I am simply relating the story as it pertains to this forum, it's veracity as I have said, is in question.

satay
08 March 2011, 06:49 PM
namaste,
What about the vibrating tuning fork? I think the sound it produces can be like the sound of OM.

Eastern Mind
08 March 2011, 07:32 PM
Vannakkam:

When I was about 17 years, I heard somewhere that Aum is the combination of all sound. Being a skeptic, I had to try to find out for myself. I was in Vancouver at the time staying with a cousin near to a park called Burnaby Mountain, which is basically a forest within the city. So one afternoon I went in there to listen, totally surrounded by about half a mile of forest, and out beyond that a bustling city. The trees muffled the sounds so there were none that came across as distinct. Sitting there, I just listened to the hum of the city. Indeed, I feel Aum is an imitation of that sound.

So then I thought maybe I should listen a bit more carefully to what some people said.

Aum Namasivaya