PDA

View Full Version : Namaste

KaliDevotee
12 March 2011, 07:15 PM
Namaste everyone! I come from the U.S. I've been in love with India for many years now and met Kali first while I was a "Pagan". Of course in that context She's represented differently, as are most deities. I have since done much study on Hinduism and Kali and other deities from Hinduism's pantheon. But I must ask for forgiveness if I ever say something very ignorant or wrong I still consider myself in the very beginning stages of my life as a Hindu.

And being from the southern United States isn't the most productive place for my growth. So I'm very happy to find this forum although I get confused at times! haha! Sanskrit is complicated to me to say the least and I've been trying to wrap my mind around it! :)

I'm sorry for rambling so much, it's what seems to happen when I introduce myself or just talk in general. I'll hush now, and say thank you so much for allowing me to be here!

Eastern Mind
12 March 2011, 08:04 PM
Vannakkam Kalidevotee: Welcome. I hope your time here is fruitful.
Aum Namasivaya

Believer
12 March 2011, 10:09 PM
.....and say thank you so much for allowing me to be here!
Welcome, and it is a pleasure to have you join us.
We are going to have to be careful with our comments about the South. ;)

KaliDevotee
12 March 2011, 10:55 PM
Welcome, and it is a pleasure to have you join us.
We are going to have to be careful with our comments about the South. ;)

Thank you! And I'd probably agree with any comments anyone had about here! haha! :D

Odion
13 March 2011, 03:56 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

sunyata07
13 March 2011, 02:52 PM
Namaste Kali Devotee,

It is always nice to see a new face around here. Don't worry or feel intimidated about being here. All are welcome to learn more about the treasures of wisdom offered in the Hindu faith, the eternal way of Sanatana Dharma. If you have any questions, fire away. There are plenty of Western Hindus here, so you're in good company when it comes to feel a bit out of place and a "newbie" in terms of the content of philosophy. Sanskrit is more of a liturgical language in Hinduism. I'd say very few can actually speak and read it fluently, and it takes years of dedicated study to master it fully.

It is interesting that you say you began your spiritual life as a pagan. What drew you most to Kali in particular? She is indeed a powerful force, and I think many Westerners are both repelled and attracted by Her. She is one of many many aspects of Devi in Hindu tradition, and one of my favourite forms of Divine Mother. :D Hope to learn more about your background. Enjoy your stay here.

Om namah Shivaya

Ramakrishna
13 March 2011, 11:14 PM
Namaste KaliDevotee,

Welcome to HDF. It's great to have you here, and I look forward to your posts. I also would be interested in what drew you from paganism to Hinduism, Maa Kali in particular. I have been studying the different pagan religions recently and find them very interesting.

And being from the southern United States isn't the most productive place for my growth.

I second that :)

Jai Sri Ram

KaliDevotee
14 March 2011, 02:39 AM
Namaste Kali Devotee,

It is always nice to see a new face around here. Don't worry or feel intimidated about being here. All are welcome to learn more about the treasures of wisdom offered in the Hindu faith, the eternal way of Sanatana Dharma. If you have any questions, fire away. There are plenty of Western Hindus here, so you're in good company when it comes to feel a bit out of place and a "newbie" in terms of the content of philosophy. Sanskrit is more of a liturgical language in Hinduism. I'd say very few can actually speak and read it fluently, and it takes years of dedicated study to master it fully.

It is interesting that you say you began your spiritual life as a pagan. What drew you most to Kali in particular? She is indeed a powerful force, and I think many Westerners are both repelled and attracted by Her. She is one of many many aspects of Devi in Hindu tradition, and one of my favourite forms of Divine Mother. :D Hope to learn more about your background. Enjoy your stay here.

Om namah Shivaya

Thank you! This all makes me feel very welcome! :) When I first came here and read posts I felt overwhelmed because everyone has such a strong and understanding stance on their own personal beliefs and are very capable of backing up their reasons and such with sacred texts.. which is my weak spot. I'm not sure where to find good translations of texts.

To clarify even more, I was protestant Christian, "Baptist" actually, then pagan, now where I am. haha! Interesting journey. Still living at home with my elderly grandmother, who is staunchly Christian makes having a different faith, a game of hide and don't seek, with some things!

I learned about Kali several years ago, Her name is used in a chant which is basically a list of goddesses from world cultures. So I learned about Her existence through this song. After finding images and descriptions of Her, I was immediately captivated. I felt that Her form was very protective, I think that is what drew me most to Her. The fierce, protective energy, that destroys and creates. I have to admit that my early understanding of Kali was probably more than a little limited, but I blame that on my lack of knowledge of the concepts within Hinduism.

I consider myself a beginning Shakta Hindu. But, at the risk of sounding dumber than I already do, I must ask now because I've been confused for a while. Is it "Shakta" or "Shakti?" I know that "Shakti" is the name for Divine Mother but is it also in reference to the specific form of Hinduism which focuses on that? I've researched but I suppose there is a mental block keeping me from totally understanding!

I am very drawn and connected to Devi. Feminine energy is something I relate with on a very deep level, I think that's why. :D

Eastern Mind
14 March 2011, 07:15 AM
Is it "Shakta" or "Shakti?" :D

Vannakkam KaliDevotee: I've heard either Shakta or Shaktite. Same with Saiva or Saivite, Vaishnava or Vaishnavite. But I could be wrong.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
15 March 2011, 02:51 PM
Yes, I think the most common term is Shakta, but I've heard Shaktite as well although I think it's less frequently used.

When I first came here and read posts I felt overwhelmed because everyone has such a strong and understanding stance on their own personal beliefs and are very capable of backing up their reasons and such with sacred texts.. which is my weak spot. I'm not sure where to find good translations of texts.

Kali Devotee, don't worry too much about the scriptures. There's a plethora of sacred scriptures in Hinduism. So much so that there is no way that you could be expected to read and be able to quote from all of them. You mentioned that you feel like you'd be most comfortable in the Shakta school of worship. In which case, I'd recommend reading the Devi Mahatmyam (http://stotraratna.awardspace.com/stotra/Parayana/pa2.pdf), one of the most sacred writings in Shakta tradition.

Good luck with finding yourself in Sanatana Dharma!

Om namah Shivaya

Sahasranama
15 March 2011, 03:11 PM
Vannakkam KaliDevotee: I've heard either Shakta or Shaktite. Same with Saiva or Saivite, Vaishnava or Vaishnavite. But I could be wrong.

Aum Namasivaya

Shakta means a category belonging to Shakti and it also denotes the worshippers of Shakti. Similarly Vishnu/Vaishnava and Shiva/Shaiva. Vaishnuite and Shaivite are English words.

BryonMorrigan
15 March 2011, 03:22 PM
Send an email to Acharya Dan Konnor of the Washington Kali Temple requesting more information. He will send you a lot of information on Shakta worship, specifically focusing on Kali. Here is his email address: jaimaakaalee@gmail.com.

He also has a YouTube channel filled with documentaries, devotionals, music, and worship at http://www.youtube.com/user/jaimaakaalee.

PARAM
18 March 2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for this Bryon

Adhvagat
18 March 2011, 03:55 PM

Aum Namasivaya

I don't like the ITE, sounds like a pejorative term. Like in termites.

KaliDevotee
18 March 2011, 07:54 PM
Send an email to Acharya Dan Konnor of the Washington Kali Temple requesting more information. He will send you a lot of information on Shakta worship, specifically focusing on Kali. Here is his email address: jaimaakaalee@gmail.com.

He also has a YouTube channel filled with documentaries, devotionals, music, and worship at http://www.youtube.com/user/jaimaakaalee.

Thank you much Bryon! This is immensely helpful and appreciated! :)

sunil kumar
18 March 2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Maa kali Devotee, just an suggestion, it would be great if u call Maa Kali instead of Kali. i personally it will make u feel that u respect her & more so since u want to be devotee of her.