PDA

View Full Version : Headache when chanting Ganesha's mantra

Odion
13 March 2011, 04:01 AM
Namaste guys, bit of a problem.

It's been going on a while now, but when I chant Ganesha's mantra "Aum gan Ganapataye namah", I get a headache. It's not incredibly painful, but it is very distracting. It goes shortly after finishing with this mantra. I don't get it with any other mantra. Is there a reason why?

Thoughts, guys?

Thanks. :)

Sahasranama
13 March 2011, 04:43 AM
It's possible that it has something to do with your breathing when chanting.

Odion
13 March 2011, 07:13 AM
Do you mean it may be too slow or to fast or something?
I don't get it with any other devata, like Shiva or Durga.. :confused:

Sahasranama
13 March 2011, 07:15 AM
Maybe you are holding your breath, because you chant at the wrong tempo, or you are not breathing in enough when chanting without pauses. I don't think it's related to Ganesha, try another mantra of Ganesha like

AUM ekadantaya vidmahe, vakratundaya dhimahi, tanno danti prachodayat.

If you have to, pause a little longer between mantras and make sure you are breathing.

Odion
13 March 2011, 07:29 AM
I will try, thanks. :)

Eric11235
13 March 2011, 08:10 AM
Vannakam

I use the same mantra, not sure, but perhaps there is an aspect of the chanting that is problematic.

Do you chant out loud or in your head? Do you use any other tools to help you concentrate on the mantra such as music? I find that playing music of any sort will help you develop a rhythm and in your case might distract you from the distraction of the headache.

More likely however, is that the mantra is working effectively, what I mean is that you have spiritual gunk to put it crudely, and the mantra is working so well that this spiritual stuff is coming to the surface and making you feel the headaches as a method of purging it. But that is just a thought

Eastern Mind
13 March 2011, 08:48 AM
Vannakkam Odion:

I think all the points expressed have validity. Here is another suggestion. Either open or close your eyes while chanting. Do the opposite of what you are doing now. Sometimes that has helped me in the past.

However, I do agree with Eric that headache pain shouldn't always be considered a bad thing, unless its really severe. Ganesha works in mysterious ways.

Aum Namasivaya

Odion
13 March 2011, 09:34 AM
I've found it doesn't matter: open eyes, closed eyes, fast, slow, aloud, in mind, still causes a headache.

Hopefully it's cleaning out "gunk" though. :)

Sahasranama
13 March 2011, 09:39 AM
Have you tried Shambhavi mudra? It can strain your head a little bit at first, but maybe in your case it will help.

Odion
13 March 2011, 09:58 AM
Have you tried Shambhavi mudra? It can strain your head a little bit at first, but maybe in your case it will help.
Is that concentrating on the third eye?
If so, yeah.
Same with and without.

...what's wrong with me?? :D

sm78
15 March 2011, 01:11 AM
chanting bija mantras particularly those ending with ...MMMMM (aum, gam) with ...mmm chanted in higher matra (length) often does lead to a headache like feeling. I don't find it painful, disruptive or even negative ... I have not enquired about it from anyone since it seems so minor and seems more positive than negative. Your condition may be different and if headache is severe or distracting, one needs to seek help.

devotee
15 March 2011, 04:26 AM
Namaste Odion,

Is that concentrating on the third eye?
If so, yeah.
Same with and without.

...what's wrong with me?? :D

Focussing between your eyesbrows in a wrong way can lead to a headache.
What happens ? ---> This is due to conditioing of our eyes. Our eyes are accustomed to "seeing" in a particular way with the help of light etc. When you try to focus between the eyebrows you try to see there something out and in that process you strain your eyes. Here we have to remember that we have to focus our attention to that point and & not that we have to see "something". If any vision does appear, let it be witnessed (without getting invloved) ... but not by straining.

This undue strain coming on the eyeballs can give rise to a headache.

If you have been practising for a long period, there may be a tendency to get the attention focused between the eyebrows even without making a conscious effort & if the practice have been faulty in the past ... it may again give similar results.

OM

zenvicky
15 March 2011, 10:04 AM
If you concentrate too much and converge your closed eyes medially, then it sometimes causes headache. Try to be relaxed with little or no strain on your eyes. You will feel better.

yajvan
15 March 2011, 10:47 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

ॐ गणेश्वराय हमः

oṁ gaṇeśvarāya namaḥ

namasté Odion,

It's been going on a while now, but when I chant Ganesha's mantra "Aum gan Ganapataye namah", I get a headache. It's not incredibly painful, but it is very distracting. It goes shortly after finishing with this mantra. I don't get it with any other mantra. Is there a reason why?

Let me offer a few ideas if you are open to them...

Note that this 'gan' in the mantra you offer is better suited as gaṁ.

Also if you are trying, this brings effort. Excessive trying is effort; effort brings a level of strain.

Then what is the approach? Intent, slight intent. It is via this intent that the mind becomes concentrated , one pointed.
We cannot force the mind to this condition without trying and trying as mentioned brings strain... see the point?

Last, if you are new to meditation starting with a long mantra is not advisable. It is suggested we start with a single bīja sound ,
and for this mantra it would be gaṁ for śrī vināyaka or gaṇeśa.

Note how simple this sound gaṁ looks in saṃskṛtā गं
What does gam mean ? to approach. And who are we approaching with the sound? Gaṇeśa.
The word gam also means 'to let go' - and what are we letting go? I think you will have the answer to this, no?

Gaṇeśa is the Lord of the multitudes or gaṇayati ( a flock, to count in number, to sum up). Inside His name we see this gaṇ - to count.
Yet this word gaṇ also means ' to attend to'. And how does one ask Gaṇeśa for His attending to ? By his seed (bīja) sound gaṁ.

Now that said, if this seed (bīja) sound gaṁ is done properly it too will assimilate/sound very much like gaṇ. As in both cases we're
discussing the use of anusvāra.

Anusvāra is the 'after-sound' , the nasal sound which is marked by a dot above the line , and which always belongs to a preceding vowel.
Sometimes you will see it like this ṃ or like this ṁ , or like ṇ or ṅ. This anusvāra is used both to indicate the nasalization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasalization) of the vowel and
represent the letter m or n.

praṇām

brahman
17 March 2011, 03:46 AM
Dear Odion,

Now I shall give a description of the exposition of Atman as in the Dhayana-Bindu upanishad. It is explained in a complex manner, repeated reading and manana may help comprehending the subject to overcome the crisis.

In the seat of the heart is a lotus of eight petals. In its centre is Jivatma of the form of Jyotis and atomic in size, moving in a circular line. In it is located everything. In knows everything. It does everything. It does all these actions attributing everything to its own power, (thinking) I do, I enjoy, I am happy, I am miserable, I am blind, I am lame, I am deaf, I am mute, I am lean, I am stout, etc.

When it rests on the eastern petal which is of Sveta (white) colour, then it has a mind (or is inclined) to Dharma with Bhakti (devotion).

When it rests on the south-eastern petal, which is of Rakta (blood colour), then it is inclined to sleep and laziness.

When it rests on the southern petal, which is of Krishna (black) colour, then it is inclined to hate and anger.

When it rests on the south-western petal which is of Nila (blue) colour, then it gets desire for sinful or harmful actions.

When it rests on the western petal which is of crystal colour, then it is inclined to flirt and amuse.

When it rests on the north-western petal which is of ruby colour, then it has a mind to walk, rove and have Vairagya (or be indifferent).

When it rests on the northern petal which is Pita (yellow) colour, then it is inclined to be happy and to be loving.

When it rests on the north-eastern petal which is of Vaidurya (Lapis Lazuli) colour, then it is inclined to amassing money, charity and passion.

When it stays in the inter-space between any two petals, then it gets the wrath arising from diseases generated through (the disturbance of the equilibrium of) Vayu, bile and phlegm (in the body).

When it stays in the middle, then it knows everything, sings, dances, speaks and is blissful.

When the eye is pained (after a day’s work), then in order to remove (its) pain, it makes first a circular line and sinks in the middle. (This is the shamabavi explained in various posts in the same thread)

The first line is of the colour of Bandhuka flower (Bassia). Then is the state of sleep.

In the middle of the state of sleep is the state of dream.

In the middle of the state of dream, it experiences the ideas of perception, Vedas, inference, possibility, (sacred) words, etc.

Then there arises much fatigue. In order to remove this fatigue, it circles the second line and sinks in the middle.

The second is of the colour of (the insect) Indragopa (of red or white colour). Then comes the state of dreamless sleep.

During the dreamless sleep, it has only the thought connected with Parameshvara (the highest Lord) alone. This state is of the nature of eternal wisdom.

Afterwards it attains the nature of the highest Lord (Parameshvara).

Then it makes a round of the third circle and sinks in the middle.
The third circle is of the colour of Padmaraga (ruby).

Then comes the state of Turya (the fourth). In Turya, there is only the connection of Paramatman. It attains the nature of eternal wisdom. Then one should gradually attain the quiescence of Buddhi with self-control. Placing the Manas in Atman, one should think of nothing else.

Then causing the union of Prana and Apana, he concentrates his aim upon the whole universe being of the nature of Atman. Then comes the state of Turiyatita (viz., that state beyond the fourth).

Then everything appears as bliss. He is beyond the pairs (of happiness and pains, etc.,). He stays here as long as he should wear his body. Then he attains the nature of Paramatman and attains emancipation through this means. This alone is the means of knowing Atman.

When Vayu (breath) which enters the great hole associated with a hall where four roads meet gets into the half of the well-placed triangle, then is Achyuta (the indestructible) seen:) . Thus Dhyana-Bindu Upanishad(94)

God Bless you. Love:)

smaranam
17 March 2011, 12:09 PM
~~~~~

smaranam
17 March 2011, 12:23 PM
Placing the Manas in Atman, one should think of nothing else.
other than the I n d e s t r u c t i b l e A c h y u t a

Odion
17 March 2011, 02:35 PM
Thank you very much guys. I will to let myself get into the mantra easier. I feel I may be almost "forcing" myself to continue. I'll let you guys know how it works out. :D

smaranam
17 March 2011, 06:55 PM
Then causing the union of Prana and Apana, he concentrates his aim upon the whole universe being of the nature of Atman. Then comes the state of Turiyatita (viz., that state beyond the fourth). ...

This alone is the means of knowing Atman.

When Vayu (breath) which enters the great hole associated with a hall where four roads meet gets into the half of the well-placed triangle, then is Achyuta (the indestructible) seen . Thus Dhyana-Bindu Upanishad(94)

God Bless you. Love:)

Namaste,

This DhyAna yog process is not necessary when navadha bhakti is performed to Achyuta out of love alone, then there is no need to consciously combine any prana with apana or other tricks with the nervous system. Or is it ?

praNAm
To That Achyutam Keshavam i offer praNAms birth after birth
May He live in my heart forever, irrespective of how many births

devotee
18 March 2011, 04:34 AM
Namaste Smaranam,

This DhyAna yog process is not necessary when navadha bhakti is performed to Achyuta out of love alone, then there is no need to consciously combine any prana with apana or other tricks with the nervous system. Or is it ?

Let me remind you what Lord Krishna says in Uttar Gita :

2.37 If a man practise asceticism and severe austerity for a thousand years, standing on one leg only, he cannot realize one-sixteenth part of the benefit gained by Dhyăna Yoga (meditation).

Those that constantly chant the four Vedas and read other religious works and yet fail to realize "I am that Brahman", they are like the spoons that are used for every cooking operation, but yet remain without a single taste of the foods they prepare.

OM

brahman
18 March 2011, 06:14 AM
Namaste,

This DhyAna yog process is not necessary when navadha bhakti is performed to Achyuta out of love alone, ................... Or is it ?

Dear Smaranam,

मय्यावेश्य मनो ये मां नित्ययुक्ता उपासते |
श्रद्धया परयोपेताः ते मे युक्ततमा मताः ||१२-२||

mayy āveśya mano ye māṃ nityayuktā upāsate
śraddhayā parayopetāḥ te me yuktatamā matāḥ 12.2 BG Eng>> (http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=bhagavad+gita+sanskrit+documents&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=)

Love:)

smaranam
18 March 2011, 09:43 AM
Thank You, and many praNAms to the vatsal Brahman.