PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of Shri Guru Gita

c.smith
15 March 2011, 05:00 PM
Hari Om!

Have been reading my first "Guru Gita" and truly not sure what I'm supposed to be getting from it. The common thread seems to be "worship guru", but 61 pages of redundancy seem silly. Somehow I was expecting more, perhaps like the why's and how's. Did I miss something? Are all Guru Gitas alike?

Om Namah Sivaya!

anirvan
21 March 2011, 02:45 AM
Dear Smith, what is your exact difficulty with gurugita. its a book for regular reading and simultaneously meditating on the greatness and swaroop of guru who is the ultimate truth. after all the spiritual practices, we ultimately come to guru who is one and only can liberate us. even ultimate spiritual destination is his feet.

any spiritual prectice can take us only upto Anja chakra,beyod that its only Guru"s mercy. so gurugita should be read with reverence like a prayer for 10-15 min daily during worship and little meditate upon its true meaning. just like in islam they do daily namaz.

hope you got my point.kindly write back if any doubt.

c.smith
21 March 2011, 11:42 PM
Hari Om Anirvan!

Thank-you for your post. Please correct me if I am mistaken - each Guru then may have a guru gita. If this is the point, then I can see where I was truly amiss in my first post thinking of only the redundancies in the text. All glories to Guru who leads us out of darkness and into the light! Then yes, rightly so using the gita offered as a daily prayer.

Am I on the right track? Thank-you for your guidance.

Om Namah Sivaya!

anirvan
22 March 2011, 01:58 AM
Dear Smith, i admit that there is redundancies in the text. but this is the way any prayers,stuti,stotra etc written and read in front of the Idol. but Gurugita is not many. as Guru is one,we imagine this supreme guru in our individual guru. this is the beauty of following advita in worshiping one supreme guru with different form. this is the only way we all people can be united without any difference in sect/religion.

jayagurudev

devotee
22 March 2011, 04:06 AM
Please correct me if I am mistaken - each Guru then may have a guru gita. If this is the point, then I can see where I was truly amiss in my first post thinking of only the redundancies in the text. All glories to Guru who leads us out of darkness and into the light! Then yes, rightly so using the gita offered as a daily prayer.

Smith, as far as I know, there is one Guru Gita only. Who told you that every Guru has his own Guru-Gita ? I am curious.

OM

PARAM
22 March 2011, 11:21 AM
Geeta in not something like that, it has the knowledge of Vedas taught differently.

Shiva Geeta,
Vibhishan Geeta,
Ashtavakra Geeta,
Bhagwat Geeta

They all are different, yet they have same teaching.

But Guru is not prayed according to Vedas and Geeta guru is respected only, not worshipped.

c.smith
23 March 2011, 07:54 AM
Devotee Ji,

Hari Om!

Thanks for your correction - that's why I'm always cautious in my posts and ask esteemed members to correct me where I may be wrong. I appreciate your doing so. It seems sometimes the more I learn, the more I fall behind. It's only by the grace of God, Gods and Guru that I'm able to advance at all.

Om Namah Sivaya!