PDA

View Full Version : Jesus was NOT the first rebel

Divine Kala
17 March 2011, 05:29 AM
I am watching an episode of the American law drama 'The Good Wife' and a line was spouted by the protagonist's daughter 'Jesus was the first rebel' and something about it just made me twitch.

Clearly it is just the actress playing her part but so many people seem to believe this. It is almost as if people believe that the world began with the birth of Jesus and that nothing important was happening prior.

What about Sidddhartha Gautama, the Buddha? He was a rebel some - what - 500 years prior to Jesus. He rebelled against the status quo much longer before Jesus was even an inkling in someone's mind.

It just... frustrates me. I could even go so far as to say that Shiva is the first rebel; he disregards the social constructs of humans and shows us that we are more than just the body. Others would argue that since he does not take form as Visnu does (major avatars vs minor, personal avatars to help his devotees) that he is hardly a rebel but... still...

BryonMorrigan
17 March 2011, 07:59 AM
Even in the Roman Empire, "he" was not "the first rebel." There were the Gracchi, who might be looked at as the first Liberal reformers in Western history. And then there were also the slave rebellions, led by "rebels" like Spartacus, Eunus, Cleon, Athenion, and Tryphon...

But then, you're expecting Christians to be knowledgeable about history...when that is rarely the case.

sanjaya
17 March 2011, 09:20 AM
What I think is most ironic is that these guys glorify rebellion despite that their religion is the status quo. And hey, let's forget all the stuff in their own Bible about not being contentious.

Why do I sometimes despair that even I know their theology better than they do? :)

Adhvagat
17 March 2011, 10:25 AM
But then, you're expecting Christians to be knowledgeable about history...when that is rarely the case.

I'm really not sure what makes a christian stay christian even after getting to know all the forming grounds of their own religion, all the political interests that altered their own holy book and philosophies.

It can either be simple fear of hell or too much attachment to Jesus.

Either way a person not yearning for truth and just accepting whatever nonsense they throw at them is not really someone spiritually mature.

Rationalist
20 March 2011, 01:56 PM
Jesus was the first rebel!??! HAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAH

Adhvagat
20 March 2011, 02:01 PM
Jesus was the first rebel!??! HAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAH

The world started in christian era, didn't it? :)

PARAM
21 March 2011, 11:59 AM
Jesus ever existed?

According to Bible itself there where many rebels who born before Jesus, even Ram is mentioned there.