PDA

View Full Version : Studying Patala

Adhvagat
21 March 2011, 02:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patala

Hello guys, I was reading on some information on Patala loka, I've read it before on the Bhagavatam, however, the specifics and names of the personalities weren't fresh on my head.

I was surprised that some of these names are similar (if they are not the same) as divine personalities, such as Prahlada and Hayagriva.

I think the overall description of Patala is a great analogy to the perception of the world through strictly materialistic view:

Narada describes Patala as more beautiful than Svarga (heaven). Patala is described as filled with splendid jewels, beautiful groves and lakes and lovely demon maidens. Sweet fragrance is in the air and is fused with sweet music. The soil here is white, black, purple, sandy, yellow, stony and also of gold.

The thing is I'm feeling overwhelmed by symbolisms and hidden meanings that could unfold into a better understanding of the macro and microcosm. And questionings regarding the energetic balance of the universe and what if these informations are to be taken literally, symbolically, or both and the purpose behind it all, cross my head.

Do any saint/sage/thinker provide an in-depth analysis of the elements of Patala?

Om Tat Sat

Sahasranama
21 March 2011, 04:11 AM
I do think there are different lokas in this universe besides this earth we live on. There is a philosophy known as anda (universe) pinda (body) vada which says what's in the universe is inside your body: yat anda tat pinda. According to the Hinduism Today website, the different lower regions of the universe are the lower chakras below muladhara.

PARAM
21 March 2011, 12:17 PM
According to Swami Dayanand of Arya Samaj, American Conitinent was the Patal Lok.

We have many proofs, where such is mentioned. There is one-

According to Mahabharat, Arjun during his visit to Patal Desh married Princess Ulopy who was daughter of King of Patal Desh. Beautiful girl in Mexican tribal area till today are called as Ulopy, this culture they have in pre Columbus era.

Adhvagat
21 March 2011, 04:40 PM
I do think there are different lokas in this universe besides this earth we live on. There is a philosophy known as anda (universe) pinda (body) vada which says what's in the universe is inside your body: yat anda tat pinda. According to the Hinduism Today website, the different lower regions of the universe are the lower chakras below muladhara.

Sahasranama, that's interesting of course, but I have a hard time dealing with this concept, partially because my first understanding of this while reading the Bhagavatam when I was younger was that these worlds were outside, now it seems that Advaita philosophies and Shaiva philosophies like Shaiva Siddhanta view these as inner worlds.

But I can't stop some minor questionings like: Can we reach these worlds through material means? Ok, perhaps not the higher ones, but what about the lower ones?

http://unidadezero.com/pub/img/vedas/chakras.jpg

Perhaps the world we live right now is indeed the perfect placement for contemplating the higher and lower realms.

According to Swami Dayanand of Arya Samaj, American Conitinent was the Patal Lok.

We have many proofs, where such is mentioned. There is one-

According to Mahabharat, Arjun during his visit to Patal Desh married Princess Ulopy who was daughter of King of Patal Desh. Beautiful girl in Mexican tribal area till today are called as Ulopy, this culture they have in pre Columbus era.

PARAM, my main gripe with these views is how oversimplifying (or maybe just outright wrong) they seem to be. Like claiming Kali-yuga is 2400 years long.

However, if patala or svarga are to be determined through what chakra is the most exalted, well, no doubt India would be acting through higher ones and closer to svarga and a place like Las Vegas oriented to sensorial enjoyment and inebration acting through lower ones and therefore closer to Patala. We can go even further and use the example of a very violent place where much of the population is starving, like some places in Africa, these places would be acting through the lowest of chakras and therefore even past Patala, since they are similar to Naraka now.

Om Tat Sat

PARAM
22 March 2011, 12:02 PM
my main gripe with these views is how oversimplifying (or maybe just outright wrong) they seem to be. Like claiming Kali-yuga is 2400 years long.

However, if patala or svarga are to be determined through what chakra is the most exalted, well, no doubt India would be acting through higher ones and closer to svarga and a place like Las Vegas oriented to sensorial enjoyment and inebration acting through lower ones and therefore closer to Patala. We can go even further and use the example of a very violent place where much of the population is starving, like some places in Africa, these places would be acting through the lowest of chakras and therefore even past Patala, since they are similar to Naraka now.

That could be, this is also possible that all these where adopted, but this is not the only what I said.
Let’s check Mexico what I said above, another reason-

According to popular legend in Aztec community - The teacher of advanced civilization Quevtsal Katal came there from east, his period was treated as golden era. He then went back to his original homeland because of persecution by some divine creature. This legend surprisingly does not throw light on the reasons why he returned.
W H Prescott in his book, ‘History of conquest of Mexico’, provides various references with Ramayana. In uttarkand where it is mentioned that Salkantak Rakshas who dwelled in Lanka were persecuted by Vishnu. They left Lanka and went to 'Patal Desh' under the leadership of Sumali, they lived there for long time and when they found condition congenial they returned to their homeland.

This is just one of the many proofs.

However the Swarg Narak described in the scripture must be different, because only Souls went there after death, while Patal was a Place in the Earth. This is possible there could be another Patal outside Prithvi also, and the Patal Desh of Prithvi bears its name.