PDA

View Full Version : Three things positive

Eastern Mind
27 March 2011, 04:20 PM
Vannakkam all: In the entire spectrum of Hinduism, what 3 things are the most magnetic, or attractive, that keep you here in the faith? if any one of them were to disappear from your life, you would be shaken and would find it difficult to stay Hindu at the level you are today.

I'd put my choices here but I need time to think about it. Some other bloke must have asked the question.

Aum Namasivaya

TheOne
27 March 2011, 05:33 PM
1. Advaita Vedanta. Need I say more? It is in my opinion the most beautiful philosophy in the Universe.

2. Bhakti. I love bhakti so much. Do you know that feeling when you give someone you truly love a hug it feels like that except your entire being is immersed in God.

3. The material contributions to humanity are amazing! The food! The mathematics! And not to mention Ayurveda.

sanjaya
27 March 2011, 06:31 PM
1. Familiarity. I was born into this religion and I've been practicing it for as long as I've had any faith in God at all. The images of God, the Scriptures, the pujas, even the incense sticks, all come very naturally to me. Even though I've only begun to take Hinduism seriously, I really can't imagine not being a Hindu for this very reason.

2. The library of narrative. Hinduism has seemingly countless stories about Gods and Goddesses, kings, rishis, and other figures. Virtually everything we do in Hinduism can be traced back to some story from our Scriptures. I find myself quite drawn to the many tales in our religion, and I always find something new that I can learn from them.

3. The focus on ritual. While it's great to read Hindu philosophy and talk about matters of theology, bhakti is far more concrete. There are prescribed pujas and homas that I can participate in regardless of my level of understanding, and I find this to be a very positive attribute to Hinduism.

Adhvagat
27 March 2011, 06:51 PM
EM, I don't wanna answer it because I feel that reducing to only 3 things is an offense. Sorry if I sound like a jackass.

I could say 1. Bhagavan 2. Brahman 3. Paramatma at the risk of sounding too snob. :)

Eastern Mind
27 March 2011, 07:13 PM
1. Familiarity. I was born into this religion and I've been practicing it for as long as I've had any faith in God at all. The images of God, the Scriptures, the pujas, even the incense sticks, all come very naturally to me. Even though I've only begun to take Hinduism seriously, I really can't imagine not being a Hindu for this very reason.

2. The library of narrative. Hinduism has seemingly countless stories about Gods and Goddesses, kings, rishis, and other figures. Virtually everything we do in Hinduism can be traced back to some story from our Scriptures. I find myself quite drawn to the many tales in our religion, and I always find something new that I can learn from them.

3. The focus on ritual. While it's great to read Hindu philosophy and talk about matters of theology, bhakti is far more concrete. There are prescribed pujas and homas that I can participate in regardless of my level of understanding, and I find this to be a very positive attribute to Hinduism.

Vannakkam Sanjaya: Nice, well thought out answers. Thanks. I'm still thinking.

Aum Namasivaya

Divine Kala
27 March 2011, 08:20 PM
1. Shiva and Shakti.
I always found Christianity troubling because there was no divine femininity, only the father and the son and some undefined spirit (never understood the holy spirit to be honest). Shiva called to me first, took the form of Kala and now Devi cradles me against her breast.

2. The many avenues of worship
I don't need to worship only one form of God, I can worship the forms that call to me at the time. Right now it's Shiva and Ma Parvati and their combined form, Ardhanarisvari.

3. Becoming one with God
To my knowledge no other tradition offers this. Christianity certainly doesn't - if you go to heaven you are eternally happy but eternally separate from God. I am called more to the Advaita philosophy that I can achieve oneness with God. (I can't remember the correct words!)

But there are so many other things as well. The community is amazing and the support. Nothing is being shoved in my face but I know that I can always ask for help if I find myself at a loss. I am not told 'you must do this, you mustn't do that' and that is wonderful.

smaranam
27 March 2011, 09:29 PM
1. Shri KrushNa

2. [He] Govind[A ~ ~ ~ !!!]

3. ManMohan[A ~ ~ ~ !!! Chodake apni kAshi MathurA Ake baso more nain Tum bin paun kaise chain , KAnhA ~ ~ ~ ~ tarsu Tumhipe din rain ...]

From each of these three words (excluding the square brackets) arises the infinity there is, so, no, you can't take that Infinite Lotus Eyed One away from me :)

charitra
27 March 2011, 10:20 PM
namaste EM
Advaita /Brahman concept
dharma (especially with a focus on family)
in that order, i must admit i didnt get the question right. om shanti.

Obelisk
28 March 2011, 02:27 AM
Great topic! :) The three things I'd choose would be -

1. The Advaita Vedanta - I think it's a truly beautiful philosophy and wonderful way of life which agrees with both my mind and heart. It's also in harmony with science, and I've noticed much improvement in the quality of my life since I started to go down this path a few months ago.

2. The openness - It's really wonderful how there are a wide range of thoughts within SD and no dogmas or "you mustn't dare to question this" rule. I think that this is extremely necessary for one to develop true faith and bhakti.

3. The Itihaasas/Puranas - I've always adored these scriptures and how much spiritual value they hold. It isn't for only emotional comfort during hard times, but highly important values for one to develop all-around and set a level to be elavated up to.

Alise
28 March 2011, 03:17 AM
[Just so you know - I changed nickname. Lacie is anagram of Alice]

Namaste,
my answers are -
1. My Guru lineage - tradition & philosophy.
2. Ganesha and Shiva/Shakti.
3. Karma (no explanation needed right?)

My chosen lineage & it's tradition and philosophy is what keeps me feeling that Hinduism is right for me & Gods. And Karma, no karma - no answer to question "why it happens the way it happens?" etc. :)

Have a wonderful day,
~Alice

sunyata07
28 March 2011, 10:55 AM
Namaste,

Agh... must we be limited to just three? Ok then, here goes:

1. Advaita Vedanta: Like many others here, more than anything the concept of universality for me is the greatest philosophy in existence. To me, it is the most logical, the most tranquil, the most compassionate and the most beautiful philosophy. To know that no matter what happens, we are destined to be united with the supreme soul, the all-encompassing Paratman. That is indeed a comforting thought. Not even thoughts of death can shake you, then.

2. Ahimsic nature of the religion: Is this not the purpose of any faith? Do not harm any living creature, man, animal or otherwise. This is the cornerstone from which compassion is sown and nurtured, the greatest virtue possible, IMO - greater even than mere knowledge and wisdom, as it has already understood that to harm another is to ultimately harm Oneself.

3. The One in Many: Even though I rank this as the third reason, really on a superficial level, this is one of the prime reasons I love Hinduism. There is no dogma we must follow in order to achieve our goal. There is no rule that one must worship this God, or believe in this tenet, in order to be a good Hindu. Advaita and dvaita are equally valid philosophies. No sect is given precedence over another. There exists the concept of svadharma (individual path) also, which is useful, because I believe it encourages us to show kshama to others, and allows them to work out their own past karma in order to become better people. The vibrancy you find in the different sampradayas, the differences in practices of worship for various sects and individual subcultures. There seems to be no end to the colour, music and tradition you find within Sanatana Dharma. That it has withstood the test of time (several thousand years) is a true testament to its great respect for others.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
28 March 2011, 11:38 AM
Vannakkam: So many wonderful answers ...:)

For me ..
1) the teachings of my sampradaya ... I believe it is quite different than 'general' Hinduism, more emphasis on experience, intuition, mysticism, leaning on one's own spine, and bhakti than some others, so I can cultivate those aspects that for me personally have been at the core of my beliefs, even before I recognised them as 'Hindu' in nature. One of the sayings of my Guru I recall daily ... "the natha sampradaya is not a path of words."

2) the concept that there is no intermediary between me and God, and no correct way. I love going to the temple or shrine, or nature, and being able to do it my way, not needing to listen or be manipulated or influenced by other's thoughts. As I stand in front of Ganesha, there is just Him ... staring out at me from his murthi, and me ... nothing more nothing less, such stunning, yet deep simplicity.

3) the ethics, including ahimsa, kindness, non-proselytising, that can also be found in scriptures like the BG, vedas, and dear to me the Tirukkural and Tirumantiram, but also reinforce my own intuitive sense of what is right and what is wrong.

Of course there is much much more, but with the silly hypothesis that I am stuck on a deserted island, or small town in rural Alberta (or northern Queensland) :) or Latvia:), these three I think I would cherish the most.

Aum Namasivaya

Ganeshprasad
28 March 2011, 01:38 PM
Pranam all

for me
Dharma the 4 legs that it stands on

Karma including bhakti

last but not least my freedom to choose and carve out my own destiny, the beauty of all this is Lord Krishna confirms;
vimrsyaitad asesena
yathecchasi tatha kuru

Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.18.63

Jai Shree Krishna