PDA

View Full Version : Children ... infusing dharma

Eastern Mind
27 March 2011, 06:34 PM
Vannakkam: I'm starting this thread as a way of sharing successes and failures of teaching out children about dharma and Hindu ways. They are the future of the religion, no? Any experiences with children in the faith are welcomed.

There is something so wonderful watching children at the temple. We have one man in particular who missed his calling to be a teacher. This morning he had a little guy about three who he kept around as he did the rounds of pradakshina, etc. The elder uncle held the three year old's hands together, showed him how to prostrate, pointed to things in the shrines, and all in this calm gentle way. Its inspiring. The child was so happy.

Another thing this man in particular, but also others do here is get the children to help with passing out the sacraments. Here we have the following sacraments after puja:

aarti tray: temple manager carries it
vibhuthi: priest pases it, both styles depending on devotees, either on the forehead with his thumb, or into the right hand
teertham: assistant priest or any devotee, usually an adult as you could drop it
chandanam: anybody, often a small child
kumkum and flower petal tray; anybody, often a child

When the children are allowed to do this, you should see the beams of pride. Each uncle and auntie smiles at them as they make the rounds. Its quite the positive event for them, and one more reason they may return as adults, again and again.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
28 March 2011, 07:02 AM
My children may never refer to themselves as Hindu, as I do not use this word to describe us unless we are having to explain our beliefs to one from here who is not aware. Dharmist is as much as I dare hope for given our location and background.

The children are children, I have the athletic popular and handsome one who is working on understanding shallow behaviors. I have the quiet bookish one, the silly one who can bend himself up in pretzel shapes. I have the one who loves puppies so much, he wishes he were one. I have the college young man who is a very good cook....and where or what they will be is up to them, Him, and a bit of luck and destiny.

Every day with children there is full of tremendous joy and everyday with children is full of tremendous sorrow. The sorrow comes from realizing that even though I know my home is far more of a shelter than the others around me...that this place is still hell. On one hand I realize that by me bringing them into the world, they have a better chance than most to break out of the box of this birth culture and strive on. But, at the same time I still feel it would have been far less complicated to have fewer Portions that I am in direct contact with here.

Perhaps this is the reason that I did not become aware of my location and situation still in my youth. The children too are a portion of my karma here.

Try harder is our motto here, do your best and try harder. Where ever you land from this position is acceptable...what else can it be?

It's your best!

So the children get stories, just as on the forum...and they listen with wide eyes of wonder when I tell them of the magic. There is magic here...despite these faulty veiwing devices we were given within these vessels. You can close your eyes and see more clearly than you have ever in this life time... if you believe.

Every opportunity here is a chance to learn, every sunrise breaking across the perfect indigo sky...another moment to know and to understand.

They fall, I pick them up. I fall...and they come running. What more can you ask of beings here? Such great affinity I do have for these ones so close to me...May Shiva give me a little more time to help them along. But, they are going to do fabulously.

I sent them off to school today in a flurry of snow flurries...and they groaned from the blistering cold wind. Dad ate his breakfast while the Mom checked the zippers on each little child's pants, looked at the teeth, checked for untied shoes...and handed out combs to the less than groomed...and given one last "I love you, have a wonderful day."

Then they all groaned again.:p

That's how we become infused with this Truth, in tiny little bits...in every little moment...

A Saivant raises other Saivants.:p

Eastern Mind
28 March 2011, 11:54 AM
Vannakkam: Nice little video I found about namakarana, refugees in America, cute baby, and happy people.. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tns_ywpAimY&feature=related

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
28 March 2011, 12:21 PM
What a beautiful family! Oh to live nearby such refugees....I would have much things to give to them. (being my children grow out of clothes so quickly) Seeing the baby reminds me of the hope and joy each child brings to us. They are our prayer to this realm...in the hopes that the love, compassion and kindness we give to them will spread across this world like a blanket<3

I wonder if it is too late for this almost forty year old to have that 11 day ceremony? Maybe I could try for 14611 days?:p

Eastern Mind
29 March 2011, 12:53 PM
Vannakkam: Two beautiful children after chudakarana, and an explanation of the rite. http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2725/4479135943_8fcd89490e.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/mikey_stephens/4479135943/&usg=__FON1YxGNo37vmcG_ex1aeFtsOL0=&h=375&w=500&sz=107&hl=en&start=0&sig2=SJeOhzy5GiXtEzJv5UmkHw&zoom=1&tbnid=A8u4QwUnl7soFM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=175&ei=6huSTfPcH8qSgQfqx4ka&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhappy%2BHindu%2Bchild%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1424%26bih%3D713%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C237&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1124&vpy=289&dur=5937&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=107&ty=136&oei=6huSTfPcH8qSgQfqx4ka&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:31,s:0&biw=1424&bih=713

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
29 March 2011, 01:45 PM
Nice picture, in my opinion sanskaars are very important in infusing dharma into children. There are many sanskaars, but few are done for most young Hindus: namakarana, chudana (also known as mundana), upanayana, vivaha. Everytime you do a sanskaara something changes inside you and you become part of a group.

PARAM
30 March 2011, 11:57 AM
A Hindu area will work out for there too.
Where Hindus are minority, they need a majority area

Sahasranama
02 April 2011, 12:23 AM
This is also interesting for children (and for adults ;)):

http://www.amarchitrakatha.com/products/Epics-and-Mythology

astrostudent
02 April 2011, 01:13 AM
Vannakkam: I'm starting this thread as a way of sharing successes and failures of teaching out children about dharma and Hindu ways. They are the future of the religion, no? Any experiences with children in the faith are welcomed.

I know this advice might sound different, but check the horoscope of your children for spirituality. If planets favor worldly life, your dharma lessons won't be of much help. Their path will be guided by the stars.

Believer
04 April 2011, 08:42 AM
I know this advice might sound different, but check the horoscope of your children for spirituality. If planets favor worldly life, your dharma lessons won't be of much help. Their path will be guided by the stars.
There is more to life than a bunch of horrorscopes. If you walked in the shoes of people who had to raise kids in the West, you just might have a different take on life. Everything is not black and white. Trying dharma lessons on any soul is never a waste of time. Some of us are staunch believers in horoscopes and others think of them, well, as not so important to ones life. Both sets have to be equally respected.

smaranam
04 April 2011, 02:27 PM
This is also interesting for children (and for adults ;)):

http://www.amarchitrakatha.com/products/Epics-and-Mythology

I love Amar Chitra Katha - incidentally the only one in the house who reads them.

Jai Shri KrushNa ~

smaranam
04 April 2011, 04:23 PM
Namaste

Here are some SanAtan Dharma activities for your kids:

Match Pictures to Pastimes (http://bhaktiyoga.com/files/pdf/PicToPastime.pdf)
ChaturYuga SUDOKU (http://www.bhaktiyoga.com/files/pdf/CYS.pdf)
Krishna Jumble (http://bhaktiyoga.com/files/pdf/KJ.pdf)
Vibhuti Yog Quiz (http://www.bhaktiyoga.com/files/pdf/VQ.pdf)

I think if we explain the Divine to children at an early age, in a simplified way, they can relate to it. The younger they are, the more innocent, but that does not mean we sneak in blind faith.

"God is everywhere. In each atom, molecule, space, everywhere. He loves us very much. He watches us, and our actions. So, whatever we do, we have to remember that it is not hidden from Him. We do not behave simply to escape punishment, but because it is the right thing to do. Otherwise it will make Him sad."

That works well, the trip to the Temple is fun, the PujariJis are so loving with the children, they shower attention, they make it clear one HAS TO learn to take the teertha, pay attention and not run around. Why would it not be fun ?

Then there is more :

Seeing mother's [horrified] reaction to the child going over to the altar and handling murtis like they were toys:

"Mom, this Bal KrsuhNa is actually just a model. He is only metal. He is not real"
"Sure He is real. He can hear you."
"Why doesn't He move ?" [put Him outside the crib when Mom is not watching]

"I want to 'test' to see if He is actually going to eat that."
"If you test He won't. Also, He eats all of it and wants us to have all of it too. It's God's magic."

:)

And life goes on...

I think many children find chanting Holy Names on japa beads - say one round a day - appealing at least to the point of amusing, if not done reverentially.

praNAm

Adhvagat
04 April 2011, 04:45 PM
I think the first step is the elevation of our own consciousness in order to attract a like-minded jivas. About presenting dharma:

"Teaching by example is not the best way of teaching, it is the only way."

A quote usually attributed to Mahatma Gandhi

If all else fails:

http://unidadezero.com/pub/img/vedas/dharma-shot.jpg

TheOne
04 April 2011, 06:35 PM
I don't have the least clue about parenting and moreso being a Hindu parent but I guess I'll add my two cents.

I think we should no longer tell our kids fallacy's when they ask questions by this I mean. When a child asks what rain is, some answer God's tears. I don't believe we should put natural occurrences on the shoulders of supernatural.

I think we disgrace ourselves by lying and our children by feeding them those lies. Children have an amazing desire to learn about the natural and the metaphysical world and it's our duty to teach them facts, Dharma, and other peoples views. Teaching them only what we ourselves believe won't let our children have an open and philosophical mind even if it is true.

While many(I believe) start with stories about the devas to teach them morals I believe we should start with metaphysical concepts because true morals teach themselves and don't need to be taught(unlike xtians with original sin and all that rubbish).

Final thoughts. If we are to preserve culture, dharma, and morals than we must first and foremost be an example of these ourselves and then and only then will all else fall into place.

Namaste and treat children gently for they are like a flower ready to bloom.

smaranam
04 April 2011, 07:57 PM
I think we should no longer tell our kids fallacy's when they ask questions by this I mean. When a child asks what rain is, some answer God's tears. I don't believe we should put natural occurrences on the shoulders of supernatural.

I think we disgrace ourselves by lying and our children by feeding them those lies.

Namaste,

Hindu parents, at least who have a basic modern education themselves, as far as i know, are the last ones to tell children fallacies and lies. Let us not mix Christian stories into this.

While many (I believe) start with stories about the devas to teach them morals I believe we should start with metaphysical concepts because true morals teach themselves and don't need to be taught(unlike xtians with original sin and all that rubbish).

Again, those stories are nothing close to the Christian original sin etc. so let us not mix that. At 5 or 6 my son understood that God is present in each atom, each object, each living being and in space, and can see us, hear us. This is kept seperate from morals. He was not interested in the Amar Chitra Kathas except for KrushNa's childhood and some Hanuman, so we never bothered. The comic books are for me. He is very much encouraged when it comes to science, and asks very good qns, and logical reasoning is the only basis used. (he was never interested in Little Red Hen, Barney and Sesame Street either).

However, my nephew is just the opposite. His dad tells him stories from Hindu Dharma and he has practically absorbed all Ramayan with him at a very young age, is willing to learn more. Since Grandma recited a long stotra daily he happens to have that by heart. It actually makes us laugh.

So you never know. Giving them the stories if they are interested ingrains saMskArs in them. Parents know their kids more than others. Also, VedaVyAs knew too.

Namaste and treat children gently for they are like a flower ready to bloom.

Most Hindu parents that i have seen are very gentle.

praNAm