PDA

View Full Version : Yoga for renunciation

astrostudent
28 March 2011, 04:05 AM
Namaste,

I know about sannyasa yoga, but I am also sure that not all who renounced had four or more planets in one sign. So this makes me wonder whether there are other combinations. Also, how important is the navamsa chart to find out whether a person is going renounce?

Peace,
Astro

astrostudent
29 March 2011, 02:08 PM
Okay, since no one has answered, I'll post something about great renunciants like Vivekananda and Osho. Both of them had sanyasa yoga, more than three planets in one house. I can't be sure of other sanyasis, though. Nor am I clear about pravrajya yoga. Gandhi appeared to have had it.

anirvan
30 March 2011, 01:53 AM
i think many members here are not familiar with astrology.again in my thinking those members who are so evolved and deep into spiritual life hardly give any importance to such astrology.in my believe also, who loves god by heart and surrendered himself,hardly cares about astrology or future study etc.

Eastern Mind
30 March 2011, 07:13 AM
Vannakkam astrostudent: As far as I know, sannyasin's jyothish are a random sampling of charts. I think the charts would point to the strengths of each person. So within a large monastery (like the 800 monks in the Swaminarayan fellowship) some would be better as writers, some as promoters, some in temple design, and so on. But there would be no common element in them all suggesting that their disposition is ato be a monk. Of course I could be wrong. If I get a casual chance to ask my monk-astrologer sannyasin friend some day, I'll ask. Of course, that would be another way to proceed with this question ... ask someone associated with a Math.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
30 March 2011, 12:20 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is a trend one will see in a chart... it is not random. Yet one item does not make saṃyas (some write sannyāsin).

First does the person have a spiritual orientation? One must look at the ārūḍha¹ lagna and graha's therefrom ( 3rd and 6th houses), the 12th house - house of loss, the D9 chart, spiritual orientation, the D20 chart ; the 8th house, not to mention the concentration of graha's in one sign or house.

From there one then needs to determine if one withdraws from the daily activities of household life.

praṇām

words
ārūḍha - mounted , ascended ; raised up; For jyotish it is under the cognizance of the senses , how one is perceived

yajvan
30 March 2011, 02:59 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

... it is not random

One also cannot overlook the 5th house - it deals with knowledge, spiritual practices ( also children ) and is the 9th from the 9th house. It is a rāśi¹ that is associated with pūrva puṇya¹.

dhīmanta yoga
dhīmanta yoga is formed when the 1st house lord is in the 3rd or 6th house. The person is then intellectually inquisitive. A very nice foundation for the inquisition into Self, no?

One can also view this dhīmanta yoga from the ātmakarāka postion, and from the ārūḍha lagna as mentioned in the post above.

If one looks to the ārūḍha of the 9th house, one can see ones faith. If we find rāhu there, then one has many questions about faith, saturn will influence to loose one's faith and perhaps leave/exit their existing religion. Yet the fire of mars gives one stamina to the point of being zealous.

All these things contribute to see of one takes on sannyās.

praṇām

words

rāśi - is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point
pūrva puṇya: pūrva = former , prior , preceding , previous to , earlier than + puṇya = good , right , virtuous , meritorious , pure , holy , sacred
The virtious actions that bear fruit from the past.

astrostudent
30 March 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Y, for the detailed explanation.

But I am curious about one thing. Isn't Arudha lagna mostly about the illusion we project about ourselves? Lagna is our true self, and AL is the perception that others have about us, a perception which may or may not be true.

So how is this related to a person's spiritual growth?

yajvan
31 March 2011, 10:08 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast

But I am curious about one thing. Isn't Arudha lagna mostly about the illusion we project about ourselves? Lagna is our true self, and AL is the perception that others have about us, a perception which may or may not be true.

ārūḍha - mounted , ascended ; raised up; For jyotish it is under the cognizance of the senses , how one is perceived.

It is how others see us, and also how we see ourselves. Does one see themselves as the sannyāsin? AL is a valid location for consideration.

praṇām

Laalu
18 November 2015, 12:52 PM
I read one yoga (frm Gayatri Vasudev). Saturn + Moon in the tenth house, she claims, is a yoga for renunciation.
Curious if anyone has charts with this combination that are contrary to this. I have one with Saturn + Moon + Rahu in tenth house (Scorpio Lagna). Lots of upsets in the career. Exalted Jupiter in 9th brought the native to meditative practices which helped counter the very tough combination on the mind that is Shani Moon Rahu...

Am curious to see other charts with this combination.

Best regards

bhaswathy
19 November 2015, 07:41 AM
namasthe ,
Horoscope is the blue print of past deeds of various births . when a real renunciation is shown in the chart ,we can deduce that the person is no more interested in the material possessions.Then his getting interested in knowing about the future also does not arise. Some times we don't have even the correct birth time and place .So how can arrive at the sanyasa yogas Four planets in one house , especially in the 10th house ,when all or at least three planets are strong , it is said to be a sanyasa of high order .In practice , when VENUS is involved , it could not give pure sanyasa with out any vasanas . This is my observation . Could be wrong also.

Laalu
19 November 2015, 12:33 PM
I suppose there must be multiple indicators to support sanyasi, bhaswaty ji. I have three charts of dedicated householders with zero interest in sanyasa all with four planets in a bhava / rasi. One more chart with Moon in navamsa of Mars aspected by saturn said to make the person like an ascetic but she is as materialistic as they come? I guess one swallow doesn't make the summer..but am curious about saturn Moon in 10th. I have been unable to understand the chart. A forced renunciation of sorts took place in the natives life.

namasthe ,
Horoscope is the blue print of past deeds of various births . when a real renunciation is shown in the chart ,we can deduce that the person is no more interested in the material possessions.Then his getting interested in knowing about the future also does not arise. Some times we don't have even the correct birth time and place .So how can arrive at the sanyasa yogas Four planets in one house , especially in the 10th house ,when all or at least three planets are strong , it is said to be a sanyasa of high order .In practice , when VENUS is involved , it could not give pure sanyasa with out any vasanas . This is my observation . Could be wrong also.

yajvan
20 November 2015, 05:10 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

namasthe ,
Horoscope is the blue print of past deeds of various births .

What you say is true... yet when one looks to the chart ( with skill) they will see 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 or past + present + future.

praṇām

bhaswathy
21 November 2015, 12:14 AM
dear friend ,
It is rather tricky to read a chart with reference to sanyasa yoga , because Saturn and kehu are said to be sanyasa inclined planets . But in some cases we have seen ,even Venus contributing to a genuine sanyasa yoga , though Venus is said to be after materialistic yearnings . Moon in the navamsa of Mars and aspected by Saturn is a sanyasa yoga according to onepoint of view .Again Saturn and moonin exchange with each other , associated with each other , Or in aspect with each other , Kethu with Jupiter in lagna , in 12 th in Meena, 7 lord in 12 th and 12th lord in 7th , all are said to be good sanyasa yogas . But many times, we see that these people are rather spiritual and philosophical in attitude but not have actually taken sanyasam as such .So by just seeing a chart we can't decide , whether a chart belongs to a person in sanyasa ashram. I also had seen many charts which were branded as schizophrenic
even though they had attained great heights in God realisation or ATHMA JNANAM. In fact many experiences of kundalini awakening appear to be similar to the symptoms of schizophrenia . By this statement I do not mean they are schizophrenics. Some people landed up in mental rehabilitation centers could be highly evolved souls ,though branded as mentally infirm people .

bhaswathy
21 November 2015, 12:16 AM
Yajwanjee, What you said is perfectly true when looked merely from mundane point of view .

Rohiniranjan
21 November 2015, 11:04 AM
Laalu,

Renunciation often is a gradual process, sometimes life-long, at times claimed by those with clair-voyance/sentience etc as spanning over several lifetimes. There are cases too of very young people who came fuelled with an urge to attain salvation and managed to achieve that. Often these are highlighted in discussion of this rather intriguing human experiential phenomenon of renunciation.

As you have found out on your own through literature review several such yogas, combinations have been formulated in jyotish texts. Compared to the wealth of jyotish texts focusing on worldly matters: power, fame, wealth, education, marriage, livelihood, diseases, family life etc sanyaasa was given a minority share of jyotish literary real estate. Intriguing...?

Sacrifice, loss, from a worldly perspective are an essential part of renunciation and so the ultimate house in moksha trine makes sense. According to Parashara planets located in a house are the strongest indicators and so form the fundamental bricks in judging a house. It is an important house for that matter, even though it is often dreaded by the worldly person and from his immediate perspective perhaps appropriately so. When examining a planet its lordship alone would not suffice, hence the wise sages also described their other roles. Combinations alone are not enough although often over-represented in writings etc.

For other charts, there are a few good collections of horoscopes with detailed notes. Larger databases are available but with sketchy bio-details. Please use both types of resources and make sure to adjust and even recast the charts given in those in case you have a preferred ayanamsha etc. If only vishottari has been used or maybe one or two more, do not hesitate to apply other dasas judicially as you work through each chart as part of self-learning. Unfortunately many authors hold back significant calendar dates and give only the period (dasa bhukti etc) which does pose a bit of problem unless you are using the same ayanamsha as the author.

I hope you find it helpful.

Rohinranjan

yajvan
21 November 2015, 06:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

From my point of view ( which is neither here nor there on this matter) aligns to the 5th, 6th, and 8th posts from above ...

One can look to a few hints for this renunciation (parityāga¹) quality. Note that one can have a parityāga yoga in their chart, yet not be spiritual, or practice
saṁnyās¹. That is, a person can have this influence and just be one that avoids people, that retreats, that wishes not to engage the world and may sit
and watch TV, knit, or just look out the window.

Parivrāja yoga & tapasvī yoga are possible to produce/influence the parityāga quality; yet there are some ‘false’ starts too. How so? If śani and ketu
are only involved (as we look to the influence on the rasi and navaṃśa¹ lagna ) then outwardly one could ‘look’ the part. What is needed in addition to
these 2 is venus - śukrá.

Saturn no doubt brings discipline; ketu ( with no head) gives little interest to worldly activities . Yet will śukrá pull one away from these disciplines?
So , one needs to look to see what venus is doing in the D1, D9¹, and D20¹ charts i.e. what aspects ? Is it humble (nīca) or cut off (vṛddha) or exalted/powerful
(vibhava) ? What then of excessive pride (sun) and that of the king (ātmakāraka) ? And you will find that the competent jyotiṣa will always look to both rāśi dṛṣṭi
and graha dṛṣṭi ( sign and ~planet~ aspects) for their analysis.

One usually runs the other way when they hear of bandana yoga (bandana - stopping or holding fast); one can see this as being detained for a period of time,
in some cases this can lead to imprisonment. Yet if beneficial (bhānuvāra¹) graha-s and aspects (dṛṣṭi) are in the mix then this bandhana yoga changes.
There is still confinement, yet there is benefit, possibility even some contentment. There could be the rigor & discipline of an āśrama, maṭh, or self-study,
or a confined setting; there may be vows, there may be alignment to rules; yet it sets the conditions for parityāga to manifest. This comes about with argala¹ (intervention).

Why do I bring this up? Because there are many moving parts. I have been taught and found that only looking at the D1 chart will not yield a realistic view of the native in question.

iti śivaṁ

words

parityāga - the act of leaving , abandoning , deserting , quitting , giving up , neglecting , renouncing
saṁnyāsin practices saṁnyās - to lay aside , give up , abandon , resign , ‘ to throw down’
D9 navaṃśa = 1/9th divisional chart
D20 viṃśāṃśa 1/20th divisional chart
bhānuvāra = bhānu+ vāra = rightness , ray of light , luster , splendor + anything chosen, exquisite
argala - a wooden bolt or pin for fastening a door or the cover of a vessel ; intervention. The notion of the bolt suggests that which interjects/ locks-in , ‘bolts’ their effects . It is also known as an impediment. This impediment can be positive or negative ( and even neutral).

primary argala occurs with the 2nd, 4th and 11th house from the sign OR graha in question.
secondary argala occurs from the 5th and 8th house from the sign OR graha in question
there are rules and riders to the above that ask one to look to what is going on in the 3rd house from the place or graha in question as that 3rd location can be auspicious
(śubha – splendid, bright) intervention

Laalu
23 November 2015, 12:01 AM
Thank you all for the pointers. I confess I had partially renounced the attempt to understand argala. I will attempt it once more. Thanks for guiding beginners so patiently.

KrishnaTVM
23 November 2015, 03:56 PM
There are couple of different opinions on the way to analyze the chart of a Sanyasi.

1. Birth Chart or Natal Chart as we do for normal individuals.

2. Chart based on when a person entered Sanyasa hood or got his diksha.

Anyhow I've seen the below pointers working on various charts of saints. At least 2/3 conditions should be satisfied from the below list either in D1 or D9.

1. All 4 Kendras are without any Graha's.

2. Saturn & Ketu Conjuction.

3. Kataga & Simha Lagnas.

4. Lagnathipathi Neecha.

5. Exalted Venus.

6. 9th Lord with strength.

7. Saturn in second house.

8. More Planets residing in Shuba graha's houses. More and more planets in Shubha graha's house indicate an enlightened soul. Ucha, Neecha, Swashetra & Moola trikona is also equally good.

9. Saturn, Mars & Moon related to each other by placement or via houses.

On a side note Moon & Saturn combination is for an astrologer. I've seen many charts with this combination who have family having interest in astrology.

One famous example is Dr B.V.Raman who has exalted Moon with Saturn in his 4th house.

Thanks
Krishna

harih
11 February 2016, 04:46 AM
Moon in the navamsa of Mars and aspected by Saturn is a sanyasa yoga according to onepoint of view ..

Namaste.. Is this an aspect by Saturn on Moon, in navamsa, or in Rasi chart?

harih
11 February 2016, 04:47 AM
In the same token, does benefics in A3 and A6 indicate a saintly personality?

KrishnaTVM
12 February 2016, 02:03 PM
Ideally any relationship between Moon, Saturn & Mars is a strong indication for a sainthood or an evolved soul who could lead a married life but spiritually evolved.. This could be in D1 or D9. The relationship between the planets could be based on Aspect, Position, Displacement Parivartana etc.

Having said that there are exceptions too :)

On a lighter note....I've an exalted Mars in mutual aspect with Saturn. Saturn in Moon's house & Moon aspect-ed by Mars. On Top of it Moon in Ketu Star :) I'm married and blessed with Kids...

I'm still in my 30's and I don't know what is destined for me in future!!! As of now I'm spiritually inclined...

My personal observation is that Moon & Venus plays a key role...Having strong "Vairaghya" is related to Moon and Venus should be nicely placed to support sainthood through out....As Venus is the Karaka for pleasures. I think an exalted Venus is one of the indicators for Saint hood too...As the Venus gets closer to the the degree of exaltation it attains more of Guru's features.

Om Tat Sat

Krishna

Rohiniranjan
12 February 2016, 04:30 PM
Lahiri Mahashoy and Ramakrishna ji, as two of the many examples, were married and yet are accepted generally to have attained much spiritual success and ascension! :-)

The converse is true as well, as we hear, now and then...?