PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with Bhakti?

UniversalLove
28 March 2011, 08:34 AM
Namaste. :)

I seek to practice Bhakti yoga daily, because I have learned about it and I think it is a very beautiful way to devote oneself to God. But I'm having a little trouble with it, and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

1) Is it true that you can use any form of God that brings you closer to Him/Her in spiritual union? (For me, I really see God in the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in the sunset and sunrise.)

2) Do you recommend any specific mantras, chants, hymns, offerings, etc. that a Christian Bhakti seeker could use?

3) I think I have limited resources as far as a "traditional" Sanantan Dharma Bhakti yoga devotion would go. But what are some elements as to how Bhakti yoga should go?

I hope this all makes sense.
Thank you so much. :)

Eastern Mind
28 March 2011, 02:34 PM
Vannakkam I LoveGod: As I am totally (almost, not quite) unfamiliar with your faith, I am not sure if I or anyone else on a Hindu forum can help you. But it begs the question: Why are you asking here rather than on a Christian forum, or on a forum like religiousforums.com. ? Wouldn't members of your own faith be more likely to help? They may at least have the knowledge or a better understanding of your disposition. Of course, I do admire anyone's determination to cultivate bhakti.

To turn it around, I just can't see myself going to a Christian forum and asking there how I can cultivate a better relationship with God. Perhaps I'm missing something here. Maybe you could elucidate some of the reasons you came here, or maybe you could browse this site in the bhakti sections and see if you can come up with anything helpful. Best wishes on it, as regardless of faith, I believe cultivation of a love for God leads to a cultivation of better love for mankind, which in turn leads to a better world for all of us.

Aum Namasivaya

UniversalLove
28 March 2011, 03:49 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind,

That is a good question. Thank you for bringing it up. :)

The root of my admiration toward Sanatana Dharma is that it seems, to me, to focus a lot on the relationship between the individual and God, in solitude, like two birds on a tree, and because it seems to allow you to worship and view God however you choose, in your own way.

My main concern is the Church.
Of course there are wonderful churches out there. But I am very afraid of having my own personal beliefs dictated or discouraged.
I view Jesus Christ differently and I want my relationship with and devotion to God (Jesus Christ) to be more personal.

smaranam
28 March 2011, 03:57 PM
Namaste

Please read this post and see if you can relate or if it helps you, then we can talk further:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60493&postcount=1

praNAm

UniversalLove
28 March 2011, 03:59 PM
Namaste

Please read this post and see if you can relate or if it helps you, then we can talk further:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60493&postcount=1

praNAm

Oh yes, I have heard about this.

Eastern Mind
28 March 2011, 04:19 PM
Vannakkam IloveGod:

Have you tried many different churches? Surely they must vary. How about monasteries? Don't the Catholics or Eastern orthodox have retreat monasteries any more? like Trappists?

Some of the practises that might apply for you can be found in the bhakti section here. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7208 Examples might be
- pilgrimage (even walking reflectively to church)
- using shrines instead of churches, sitting at one alone, do non-congregational stuff
- japa (chanting around a rosary)

I definitely feel my relationship with Ganesha, with Siva, and with Guru are very personal. But part of bhakti comes naturally, as was recently discussed on here.

Maybe you could ask your pastor/father/priest these questions?

In my personal view, one can walk a 'dangerous' path to confusion if there is too much mixing of religions. For one thing, Hindu bhakti has another purpose - to cultivate a particular understanding of God, yourself, and world. Just as meditation does - and some of these deeper truths (reincarnation is one) may impact your belief system in a confusing way. I don't want to be a catalyst toward confusion.

Aum Namasivaya

UniversalLove
28 March 2011, 07:02 PM
Eastern Mind, that is a good point.
The Trappist monastery sounds like it would interest me, because I really like Thomas Merton, who was a Trappist monk.
But there really aren't any of those around here that I know of.

Besides, I have very different beliefs from those of many churches.

Do you view Ganesha, Siva, and Guru as manifestations of God?

I have heard that Ganesha, Siva, and Guru are kind. That is what inspires me to devote myself to God.

I admire that kind of devotion a lot. That kind of devotion I want toward Jesus Christ, whom I personally believe manifests God.

Bhakti
28 March 2011, 08:02 PM
Hello ILoveGod!! I can definately understand how the idea of bhakti yoga seems synonymous with the relationship a Christian may aspire to cultivate with Jesus Christ to reach the whole of the Trinity.
Seeing as you are already willing to probe non-Chistian sources to better understand that relationship, may I recommend Unitarian Universalist congregations? A nice place to start with that would be the AllSouls Unitarian YouTube channel. They have lovely, non denominational sermons meant to stimulate spiritual thought of any flavour ;)
Also, despite my username, Bhakti yoga is not my area of expertise, but my area of interest. If you find any resources regarding its implimentation, would you be willing to share them? I would be grateful :)
Peace and good luck!

anirvan
29 March 2011, 01:14 AM
hello ILOVE GOD,

i think you have genuine love for god and for that reason this searching at such tender age.don"t be disheartened.the Lord who has created this desire in your heart will guide you in subsequent time.

To love God, we need few things clear first--

1. to need to know who is God,his nature,his form etc. to whom we are going to love must be clearly understood

2. what is the relationship of mine with him? very important part.why i should love him?

3. How to love him? what are the easiest way that suits you in the practice. remember it should be similar to your emotional,personal way,likings etc.

4. to whom you should love. jesus,mary,krishna etc etc. it is the least important matter in devotion. As long as you are sure the true nature of God,you can worship a random diagram you have sketched.even you can worship your parents,husband,wife's picture. important thing is now you are thinking the true nature of Lord through that Idol.

but again this Idol should be maximum dear to you. the picture which gives maximum peace.love ,happiness is the best.

1st and second point.....you read major devotional literatures. i will advice you to read hindu literatures as it only can give you unbiased impartial knowledge about god.my recomendations are

1-Ramakrishna mission"s book----particularly devotional,
2-Narad bhaktisutra
3-bhagabatam
3-Yogananda"s--Yogananda foundaton"s books on Christ
4-www.aypsite.org book
5- books on Chaitanya dev...anything you gets

Dont go to christians and Iskcon teachings initially.your foundation may become faulty.

start doing smaller practices of devotion. lets take Jesus. create a very pleasant room,pure,totally cut off from other"s asses. in a best place with best chair with very good colourful cushion,keep the idol,put nice garlands. daily morning,evening sit in front of him with utmost politeness after taking bath,or atleast cleaning feets,hands. offer him the best foods you like whenever you get it. anything you like,your dear objects,1st offer him.sit and talk to him.close ur eyes and imagine to see clearly him in mind.read books and ask the meaning to him.

this way you will develop love towards him. ask anything happeneing at school,at house ete. ask him to guide you at highest devotional path.

hope it might help you.lots of love.:)

jayaguru

UniversalLove
29 March 2011, 09:25 AM
Dear anirvan,

Thank you so much for your helpful answer. It is perfect, and it helps and inspires me so much. :)
Thank you also for your kind and encouraging comment. You are a very kind person, and I also can tell you love the Lord strongly. :) That is what is most important.

I have a few questions for you relating to what you said:

1) The nature of God is pure love, right? Is that the correct view of God in Sanatana Dharma, that God is our loving Creator and Sustainer?

2) Is our relationship to God that He is our Lord and that He lives within each one of us, that we are His temples?

Thanks again, my friend.
Blessings in God's love. :)

upsydownyupsy mv ss
29 March 2011, 11:43 AM
Namaste. :)

I seek to practice Bhakti yoga daily, because I have learned about it and I think it is a very beautiful way to devote oneself to God. But I'm having a little trouble with it, and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

1) Is it true that you can use any form of God that brings you closer to Him/Her in spiritual union? (For me, I really see God in the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in the sunset and sunrise.)

2) Do you recommend any specific mantras, chants, hymns, offerings, etc. that a Christian Bhakti seeker could use?

3) I think I have limited resources as far as a "traditional" Sanantan Dharma Bhakti yoga devotion would go. But what are some elements as to how Bhakti yoga should go?

I hope this all makes sense.
Thank you so much. :)

Bhakti yoga, all it means is the unification of the devotee with god, through the use of devotion. So, sure, u can worship god in any form. Well, I have heard that the word 'yogah' was used by christ somewhere. The best mantra I know of Christianity is the 23rd Psalm, it kinda reminds me of the gayatri mantra for some reason. You can't label bhakti to be a 'property' of any religion, bhakti literally means 'love'. So, go ahead, love with all your heart. Besides, I feel that there is no such thing as religion, its all a big hallucination of humanity, which divides humans and seeds ill-will.

UniversalLove
29 March 2011, 11:47 AM
Dear Bhakti,

I apologize, my friend. I didn't see your post at first.

You are very kind, helpful, and understanding.
It is a blessing to me to know that you understand what I hope to achieve in my relationship with God (Jesus Christ).

I will definitely consider Unitarian Universalism; I appreciate their opennes and individuality. and I will also check out the AllSouls Unitarian Youtube Channel. I am so excited. :)

And it would be my pleasure to share with you what I have learned and will learn in the future about Bhakti. I've added you as a Buddy, so we can keep in contact and just talk together, if you want to. :)

Primarily, I hope to learn from you because you are on a (possible) journey toward the faith of which Bhakti Yoga is a part.

Thank you so much, Bhakti.
I hope to hear back from you.

sunyata07
29 March 2011, 11:56 AM
Namaste ILoveGod,

The others have given you good advice and reading resources. I would tend to agree with EM that mixing faiths can be confusing, but I also believe that some are very much capable of holding a unitarian/universalist view of God without having to formally quit their current religion. It is clear you love God deeply, and are open-minded enough to be willing to explore your relationship with Him better.

1) The nature of God is pure love, right? Is that the correct view of God in Sanatana Dharma, that God is our loving Creator and Sustainer?

From God are all things created and maintained, although you are missing one final component in the view of Sanatana Dharma. God is often understood to be a tripartite entity of: Generator, Operator and Dissolver (GOD). From Him do all things come into being, in Him are all things anchored in this existence, and in Him do all things eventually return. This is why Hindus often call God "One without a second" - as there is nothing else but Him. Absolutely is God pure Love. A neverending stream of love flows from Him to every single being in the universe.

2) Is our relationship to God that He is our Lord and that He lives within each one of us, that we are His temples?

Yes, God is present within each of us, as the Soul of souls, called the Self in Hinduism. He is the Supersoul that lies dormant in each being in the universe, waiting to be awakened by knowledge, discipline and Self-realisation. When one is finally able to achieve that universal consciousness in which soul is finally established firmly in God, individual consciousness and experience is left far behind. This is the incomparable bliss that is moksha, union with the Supreme Being, the ultimate goal of all bhaktars (devotees).

Om namah Shivaya

UniversalLove
29 March 2011, 11:57 AM
Bhakti yoga, all it means is the unification of the devotee with god, through the use of devotion. So, sure, u can worship god in any form. Well, I have heard that the word 'yogah' was used by christ somewhere. The best mantra I know of Christianity is the 23rd Psalm, it kinda reminds me of the gayatri mantra for some reason. You can't label bhakti to be a 'property' of any religion, bhakti literally means 'love'. So, go ahead, love with all your heart. Besides, I feel that there is no such thing as religion, its all a big hallucination of humanity, which divides humans and seeds ill-will.

Thank you so much for your encouraging information. Knowing these things about Bhakti inspires me even more. :)

I'm also really glad that we could find a connection between each other. After you mentioned the Gayatri Mantra, I looked it up and I found it to be really beautiful.

Thank you for your kindness and for helping me with this.

TheOne
29 March 2011, 02:59 PM
I agree, I myself wouldn't say God is love because I feel that's rather limiting to the S/he I feel that God is pure consiousness which dwells in all things and the *natural state* of consciousness is love, respect, happiness, charity, etc. Of course sometimes we as people go to the *un*natural state of hatred, lust, anger, greed, etc. But ultimately God is pure consciousness and contains all things good, or bad but that's a difficult concept for me so I prefer to see that Brahman is naturally at peace but simultaneously contains all the potential for every other state of consciousness.

Namaste!

sunyata07
29 March 2011, 04:32 PM
Agreed, TheOne. God is everything. Once we reach a certain level of spiritual evolution, even labels like goodness and love stand in the way of knowing Him. But obviously for simplicity's sake and for those of us less spiritually awakened, bhakti is a wonderful way to foster a better relationship with God.

Om namah Shivaya

Ramakrishna
29 March 2011, 09:04 PM
Namaste Adam,

You've been given great advice. I second the suggestion to check out Unitarian Universalism. Keep in mind that there is also a good amount of non-denominational Christians. A few of my friends are non-denominational, and they don't go to church and don't feel bound by any dogmas or church teachings. They just seek to reach God in their own way, while still being a Christian. Hope this helps.

Jai Sri Ram

anirvan
30 March 2011, 01:02 AM
Dear The One ,Sunyata,

you have said and admitted that Love is simply a smaller or inferior components of God.But would not you agree that LOVE is the begin and end of whole story??

God is consciousness,chit-knowledge,sat-eternal existence....etc etc .......ok,
but is this the important thing of him we should love him or seek him. absolutely not. we love him,we cry for him,we are willing to dye for him,...because we love him. do we eat rasgulla because it is made up of milk,sugar? it looks white,it is soft? no. it is so sweet and tasty to mouth,thats why we like it.

Among Sat-chit-anand, its the Anand/bliss/love that matters most.thats the reason he has created everything. even our bondedness to maya and the process of freedom from it is for this Experience of Love. this whole process of liberation and final union is the most blissfull things in God consciousness.this is the very purpose of all this Drama.

Even one attained brahman-union,but still not completely unison with his LOVE....is like eating castor oil ,leaving aside Ghee !!!

so its THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST thing to look upon God as LOVE....at begin,at middle,at end. it will make devotee"s path blissful. it only can give the Ultimate knowledge of Vedant, the ultimate Love of Bhagabatam.:)

Jayaguru

jasdir
30 March 2011, 05:23 AM
1) Is it true that you can use any form of God that brings you closer to Him/Her in spiritual union?
Its nature:
If anybody is using the form of trees as "God", his/her nature becomes like trees.

If anybody is using the form of water as "God", his/her nature becomes like water.

If anybody is using the form of rocks as "God", his/her nature becomes like rocks.

Then, O man whom to use as form of "God" to become the form of "God" or "Puran-Brahm".....?
Ans: Use spiritual "Guru" or "Teacher" or "Master" as the form of "God", On earth he/she only can help you to achive your real goal.

Yes! at the time of "Jesus", those who have used jesus as the from of "God", they were blessed by "Him" or lord.

"O Lord"

This is only in the power of one true divine teacher to give any specific mantra,
The seed of "Truth" can only be sowed by "Truth"
"""""Hallelujah"""""

:) Something like this, I think: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6576

_/\_ Jasdir.

Adhvagat
30 March 2011, 10:17 AM
Hello I Love God.

Do you realize Christianity is a political construct made along the centuries with heavy adultering and violence towards others sects considered heretics, further adulterations, councils that gave women souls, then it was considered black people have souls. Is it the kind of "spirituality" that you wanna be involved with? For me it's nothing more than nonsense.

I'll post some links regarding the Abrahamic religions:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7216
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60026&postcount=24
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60121&postcount=30
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=360&page=4

Note that some users like Bryon try to study the texts the closer to their source since he speaks greek.

I admit that I suffered from some attachment to christianity even though I never was connected to it in anyway, seems like a western thing, everything is too much christian around here. But now I realize that when I say I'm against it, I'm not attacking a religion, I'm attacking a political construct and a nonsensical mish-mash that even "borrows" content from the Bhagavatam, since the end of the Bible speaks about the same thing as the 12th canto. God in a white horse is Kalki.

Sorry to be pouring all this into you, but I'm just trying to offer my realization of how denying christianity is not really an intolerant atittude, more like a logical realization.

I know that the symbology of the sacred heart of Jesus may mean something to you religiously, but also try to understand that Sanatana Dharma is here to offer us much more. No need to appeal to a philosophical line with a questionable history and theology.

Om Tat Sat

UniversalLove
30 March 2011, 11:36 AM
Hello I Love God.

Do you realize Christianity is a political construct made along the centuries with heavy adultering and violence towards others sects considered heretics, further adulterations, councils that gave women souls, then it was considered black people have souls. Is it the kind of "spirituality" that you wanna be involved with? For me it's nothing more than nonsense.

I'll post some link regarding the Abrahamic religions:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7216
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60026&postcount=24
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60121&postcount=30
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=360&page=4

Note that some users like Bryon try to study the texts the closer to their source since he speaks greek.

I admit that I suffered from some attachment to christianity even though I never was connected to it in anyway, seems like a western thing, everything is too much christian around here. But now I realize that when I say I'm against it, I'm not attacking a religion, I'm attacking a political construct and a nonsensical mish-mash and even "borrowing" from content from the Bhagavatam, since the end of the Bible speaks about the same thing as the 12th canto. God in a white horse is Kalki.

Sorry to be pouring all this into you, but I'm just trying to offer my realization of how denying christianity is not really an intolerant atittude, more like a logical realization.

I know that the symbology of the sacred heart of Jesus may mean something to you religiously, but also try to understand that Sanatana Dharma is here to offer us much more. No need to appeal to a philosophical line with a questionable history and theology.

Om Tat Sat

Thank you for your honesty, Pietro.
I understand what you are saying.

And I'm actually glad you pointed this out, because that is why I'm here.
I'm here to seek God and grow closer to Him in the way He wants me to.
What I hope this forum will accomplish for me is to offer me thoughts and hints as to how I can do this.

If it is true that God and Sanatana Dharma are personal and specific (in terms of form, manifestation) to an individual, I want to know what that means for me personally.
How does God want to be in my life, and how can I please Him?

Do you believe there is good in religion, even in the Abrahamic religions such as Christianity?

To be honest, I am very confused about my religion. I see God purely in the love of Christ (i.e. the Sacred Heart painting), and I value the key teachings of Christ, but there are certain things in Christianity I don't believe in, such as eternal hell and the thought of favoritism.

But, sadly, I have to carry the good and the bad around with me. Whenever I identify myself as a Christian, I'm afraid people will fear me or think I'm dangerous, or fake (regarding Love); I'm afraid that people will think I'm going to tell them they are going to an eternal hell (which I am strongly opposed to). That pains me everyday.

I ask myself, "Why can't my own religion be only about God's infinite and beautiful love manifested in Christ?" and I ask myself why the religion has had such a confusing and rough history.

So, maybe I'm not really Christian. But then where do I stand?

And Christianity is sort of a part of me, anyway, as it is the religion I was born in and grew up with. I cannot help but just try to find the Good in it and keep it.

In all of this, to me, it isn't really about Christianity (or perhaps even religion overal); it is about the love of God.

Eastern Mind
30 March 2011, 06:37 PM
Vannakkam: Just a link to a previous discussion on fundamentalism in all faiths, and interfaith harmony.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1976&highlight=Interfaith+relations

Aum Namasivaya

satay
30 March 2011, 09:48 PM
Admin Note

Namaste,
Please keep it on topic. If you have nothing good to say about the OP or no advice to offer, please do not reply with non sensical posts. Such posts will be deleted.

Thanks,

satay
30 March 2011, 09:53 PM
Namaste,

My main concern is the Church.

You might want to private message 'nirotu', a christian member of HDF with broad knowledge of christianity and the matters you are asking about. I think his suggetions and direction will be valuable for you. A 'christian' shouldn't be asking the questions that you are asking here thus you seem confused about your religion. Nirotu will direct you in the correct direction or be able to point you to sites where you can get answers for your concerns about the church.

Thanks and good luck.

UniversalLove
30 March 2011, 09:54 PM
Admin Note

Namaste,
Please keep it on topic. If you have nothing good to say about the OP or no advice to offer, please do not reply with non sensical posts. Such posts will be deleted.

Thanks,

Ok, thank you so much, satay.
I believe I have a good idea of what I'm looking for.

I apologize for any inconvenience or anything.

UniversalLove
30 March 2011, 10:00 PM
Namaste,

You might want to private message 'nirotu', a christian member of HDF with broad knowledge of christianity and the matters you are asking about. I think his suggetions and direction will be valuable for you. A 'christian' shouldn't be asking the questions that you are asking here thus you seem confused about your religion. Nirotu will direct you in the correct direction or be able to point you to sites where you can get answers for your concerns about the church.

Thanks and good luck.

Actually, as far as this whole thread goes, my main concern is serving God in the form of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Bhakti Yoga.
Do you think he would know about that?

satay
30 March 2011, 10:09 PM
namaste,

Actually, as far as this whole thread goes, my main concern is serving God in the form of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Bhakti Yoga.
Do you think he would know about that?

Give him a try.

charitra
30 March 2011, 11:32 PM
Try talking to 'western hindu' and 'white hindu's (google them) who were raised in christian tradition as kids. A small number of blogs are actively running currently.They are another source for probing. Hope your confusion soonwill be resolved. Good luck.

NayaSurya
31 March 2011, 07:12 AM
Dear Portion,

I am sorry I was not able to reply to your private message. It was not because I am mean or have ill will towards you. Was just trying to avoid harming you.

Each of us are born inside a box of our birth culture. It is based upon the teachings of our first guru...our parents. Yours and mine was xtianity.

I was born within the same box...but the Truth shattered this box very early and by five I was asking the hard questions xtianity is often, too primary to answer.

Xtianity says that every single child was born of sin...is nothing more than a filthy sinner from birth. Innocent children.

The only way to avoid burning in a damnation of hell is to accept jesus christ as your only savior.

There is only one chance here...one time...so make the most of it....make money...make a name for yourself....when you die they put you in your Sunday best so that when jesus comes back and raises the corpses you will look nice to see him.

Do a sin and you simply have to repent and come back to jesus...who is merely a composite of numerous historical figures...nothing to worry.

This clashes with the philosophy of Sanatana Dharma so greatly that a being who tried to keep one foot in such philosophy while clinging to the fearful nature of xtianity would spread themself over a great gorge of doubt...and likely to fall in.

By being here...your box will be impacted greatly. You should understand this before proceeding. Had I found such a place as a child I would have ran away to India with my saved wages and would have never had the life I now lead.

Not that it matters, but I am white and was born into a family who had converted to xtianity before I was born...but the family unit was so thoroughly broken that I was able to climb up out of that rigid way of thinking and walk away. Before computers, this Truth, you have stumbled upon, was well hidden from the seekers...but now it is so easily uncovered it makes my heart very glad.

This philosophy says as many times as you need to get it right, you shall have.

There are lifetimes and lifetimes for uncovering this Truth.

So if you love jesus, love him...seek out christians who are more tolerant of your open minded views.

But, if you truly are brave enough to jump over the side of that box...stay on and read here.

It takes a lot of bravery to leave behind the fear of burning in hell not to mention, your whole family and community hating you and fearing you will burn in hell. I do not recomend it lightly.

I speak to you today as if you were my own son, I have six of them(and two daughters)...one is your age.

I tell them...I have brought you to the Truth, but it will be your personal choice to stay there or slip back into this birth culture who mostly sleeps.

I will love them and support them any which way they choose.

I remember when I was a child being taken down to the lunchroom at school and the principal asked us all to sit down and answer a few questions on paper. I looked around and saw Seniors and juniors and freshman and sixth graders and a few scared kindergarteners like myself all together. The questions were hard! and I answered as best I could.

When he took them up he said...all of you have passed. I could not understand this as I know I did not answer the same as the older children...some of my answers I could only draw a picture as I did not know the proper words to describe my answer.

But as I have grown and learned I realize that from my perspective and postion at that moment...that I had answered the questions right.

We each have to find our own answers Beloved Portion...so strive on.<3

UniversalLove
31 March 2011, 08:16 PM
Dear Portion,

I am sorry I was not able to reply to your private message. It was not because I am mean or have ill will towards you. Was just trying to avoid harming you.

Each of us are born inside a box of our birth culture. It is based upon the teachings of our first guru...our parents. Yours and mine was xtianity.

I was born within the same box...but the Truth shattered this box very early and by five I was asking the hard questions xtianity is often, too primary to answer.

Xtianity says that every single child was born of sin...is nothing more than a filthy sinner from birth. Innocent children.

The only way to avoid burning in a damnation of hell is to accept jesus christ as your only savior.

There is only one chance here...one time...so make the most of it....make money...make a name for yourself....when you die they put you in your Sunday best so that when jesus comes back and raises the corpses you will look nice to see him.

Do a sin and you simply have to repent and come back to jesus...who is merely a composite of numerous historical figures...nothing to worry.

This clashes with the philosophy of Sanatana Dharma so greatly that a being who tried to keep one foot in such philosophy while clinging to the fearful nature of xtianity would spread themself over a great gorge of doubt...and likely to fall in.

By being here...your box will be impacted greatly. You should understand this before proceeding. Had I found such a place as a child I would have ran away to India with my saved wages and would have never had the life I now lead.

Not that it matters, but I am white and was born into a family who had converted to xtianity before I was born...but the family unit was so thoroughly broken that I was able to climb up out of that rigid way of thinking and walk away. Before computers, this Truth, you have stumbled upon, was well hidden from the seekers...but now it is so easily uncovered it makes my heart very glad.

This philosophy says as many times as you need to get it right, you shall have.

There are lifetimes and lifetimes for uncovering this Truth.

So if you love jesus, love him...seek out christians who are more tolerant of your open minded views.

But, if you truly are brave enough to jump over the side of that box...stay on and read here.

It takes a lot of bravery to leave behind the fear of burning in hell not to mention, your whole family and community hating you and fearing you will burn in hell. I do not recomend it lightly.

I speak to you today as if you were my own son, I have six of them(and two daughters)...one is your age.

I tell them...I have brought you to the Truth, but it will be your personal choice to stay there or slip back into this birth culture who mostly sleeps.

I will love them and support them any which way they choose.

I remember when I was a child being taken down to the lunchroom at school and the principal asked us all to sit down and answer a few questions on paper. I looked around and saw Seniors and juniors and freshman and sixth graders and a few scared kindergarteners like myself all together. The questions were hard! and I answered as best I could.

When he took them up he said...all of you have passed. I could not understand this as I know I did not answer the same as the older children...some of my answers I could only draw a picture as I did not know the proper words to describe my answer.

But as I have grown and learned I realize that from my perspective and postion at that moment...that I had answered the questions right.

We each have to find our own answers Beloved Portion...so strive on.<3

Thank you, NayaSurya. :)
I think you are right, especially with your last thought.
The search is best taken within, where God is.

sunyata07
10 April 2011, 03:27 PM
Namaste,

Wonderful advice, NS. I was hoping someone would post advice along these lines for ILoveGod. You are as wonderful and compassionate a mother to little ones who need gentle guiding here on HDF as you are to your own children.

Om namah Shivaya

iksvakave
10 April 2011, 04:08 PM
Re: Please help me with Bhakti?
It has to come naturally. That is for sure! I don't think anyone
can teach you Indian Bhakti. I have bhakti now just from watching my grandma
face while she was praying infront of the mandap. This is very interesting
question. How do you get bhakti? Hmmm I have an idea. Put your god's picture Jesus
christ, then light a candle and read few verses from the bible. It will happen
in the presence of the God and the candle light. Hope it helps.

Iksvakave

iksvakave
10 April 2011, 04:12 PM
I love your quotes! :)

Namaste,

Wonderful advice, NS. I was hoping someone would post advice along these lines for ILoveGod. You are as wonderful and compassionate a mother to little ones who need gentle guiding here on HDF as you are to your own children.

Om namah Shivaya

Friend from the West
15 April 2011, 10:31 PM
Namaste ILoveGod,
From the bottom of my heart I wish you luck. I think you can find plenty on the forum regarding Bhakti devotion and in books, the web, and people, depending on where you live.
I can only speak as one limited individual to you, who comes from the same tradition. For me, one tradition speaks of there being no confusion and the scriptures of the Sanatana Dharma initially seem confusing to me. The one that claims no confusion within, is full of foundational contradictions to me. Love/genocide, etc. The one that appears confusing at first is actually consistent and leads to something great, peaceful, and ineffable. Our scriptures are confusing for me at first due to my ignorance. I am a babe and I still gain great knowledge and great peace at my core, by following Sanatana Dharma.
Please trust not to take your search to the point of losing joy. It is evident from your post that you have a discerning mind and spirit. In the meantime, keep loving God as you see fit and keep the open heart that you seem to have. Your perception of God may change and your open heart may grow even greater. That is my prayer for you.
Peace,
Rich

LittleLight
09 May 2011, 10:57 PM
@ILoveGod
Do you know about Nama Japa (http://www.dlshq.org/teachings/japayoga.htm)?
In Christianity this practise is called Jesus prayer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_prayer).
This (http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/NAB378/) is a good book about Nama Japa.

LostAndFound
15 February 2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogBtc5CO_Q&feature=plcp&context=C30ececfUDOEgsToPDskKgvLaElDAJjd8ez5PMPpsx

This is one of the best informative material in the internet about Bhakti Yoga that I have come across.

I love his videos and I believe that It might be a good help for you.

<3

Believer
15 February 2012, 03:28 PM
Namaste LostAndFound,

Welcome to HDF. Thank you for the link, I am sure some will find it very valuable.

It is customary of new members to start off with a brief introduction of themselves, if they so desire.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
15 February 2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogBtc5CO_Q&feature=plcp&context=C30ececfUDOEgsToPDskKgvLaElDAJjd8ez5PMPpsx

This is one of the best informative material in the internet about Bhakti Yoga that I have come across.

I love his videos and I believe that It might be a good help for you.

<3

Vannakkam Lost and Found: Welcome to HDF. Are there temples in Finland to practise bhakti yoga in? I know there are a couple in Denmark. Here's a story on one...
http://somethingithoughtabout.blogspot.com/2009/08/ganesh-temple-festival-in-denmark.html

Best wishes...

Aum Namasivaya

Friend from the West
15 February 2012, 08:19 PM
Hari AUM

Namaste LostAndFound

Welcome to HDF family. I hope the interaction with portions here, in some way helps you with stated purposes of joining.

Thanks for video.

Om Shanti

FFTW