PDA

View Full Version : Recent Thoughts

TheOne
31 March 2011, 04:58 PM
This is somewhat a soliloquy of sorts but I would appreciate feedback.

The asuras of the worldly realm are a lot more dangerous than the ones in the astral realm.

Their names are greed, hatred, lust, and jealousy. We can call them tamasic qualities, hormones, "deadly sins", "the inner struggle", or whatever else you fancy to call them. For those who wage war against these asuras are good people. Those who invoke the help of devas against these asuras are noble people. Those who conquer the asuras they are called masters of themselves. Those who truly realize there is nothing to conquer that there is only light and darkness and who realize their relationship is coterminous and part of the same divine self those are free of samsara and behave the same when good fortune comes upon them and when bad luck is had.

The asuras cannot be conquered in the normal way because when you strike one out too more reappear to take its place. Only through complete surrender to the Divine Master(Krishna, Shiva, Buddha, etc.) can one attain peace. People call it by different names but never see past the dirty window of the ego to see that these different names are just different parts of an infinitely large God. Not a God that's seperate from the world(otherwise it wouldn't be infinite) but a God that is the very consciousness itself from which yogi's and scientists have said is the very base of reality itself. Consciousness. That's all everything is. Even the devas and asuras are different parts of the same whole. To truely "conquer" the asuras one must change their outlook on life. Seeing all as Brahman and Brahman as all.

But no one said this is easy. This manifestation of Brahman which is commonly referred to as "I" is on a very low rung of the astral ladder to God-Realization. Even the most smallest amount of Bhakti(devotion) will be magnified a thousand times if it is done with the right intention regardless of the persons karmic situation in life. That gives me solace. I have climbed, and I have fallen but I realize that if one continuous to climb. Determination itself will lead to God-realization.

Namaste

Adhvagat
31 March 2011, 05:28 PM
Hmmm cosindering hormones as asuras is not really right.

It's like saying the asura of the alcoholic is thirst and the asura of the meat eater is hunger.

At what age hormones, specially regarding sexual desire, are more active? Late teens? 15 to 20? Well, in varnashram society this would be the age where the person is leaving child territory and beginning to clinge on adulthood. Also the life phase where one would start to consider marriage.

If you consider this, varnashram uses the natural inclinations of life and prepares a person to deal with his desires with a sharp knowledgeable mind. The problem does not lie with the desires themselves but rather with dealing wrongly with them, repressing, not giving them attention when you should, negating desires in phases of life in which you actually should be pursuing them with the right mindset. Therefore it's easy to conclude that a lot of mental problems in our current world come from repression, dissociation, negation, interfering with the natural subtle flow of the mind.

TheOne
31 March 2011, 06:03 PM
I agree entirely. I believe what I should have said is the problem lies not with the hormones but the way one deals with them. Suppressing an impulse blindly is(in my opinion) just as bad as exploiting it for pleasure gain. I'm no one to talk though as I have just started shifting way from both of these extreme paths and am converging towards the right way of action and thought.

Namaste and thank you for your correction : )

anirvan
01 April 2011, 03:17 AM
Bashing with hundreds of sticks can"t expel the darkness,but lighting a tiny lamp would do it.

No matter how much we learn,apply knowledge,use scriptural advice,we are bound to fail. Mahashakti( creator/beholder of entire creation) is simply too powerful in front of we tiny dust(human).

so only saranagati..saranagati...saranagati....tvameva saranam mamah (surrender) can take us to her nectar lap.

astrostudent
01 April 2011, 03:40 AM
Hormones and asuras ... hormonasura?:Roll:

Anyway, I believe the deva and the asura are simply poetic way of saying a person, under given circumstances, could swing either way. It shows the extreme nature of humanity, that's all.

TheOne
01 April 2011, 05:18 AM
I agree with both of you anirvan and astrostudent. Keep the constructive criticism coming