PDA

View Full Version : viṁśottarī daśā

yajvan
31 March 2011, 05:04 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If one enters the study of jyotish or gets a chart reading, one hears of a daśā period. A daśā period is a span of time in one's life.
The daśā system that a jyotiṣa may use informs him/her on how the world comes to the person in question or how this person will respond. In general , just these two things - how the universe comes to the native and how the native will ( may ) respond, digest, become affected by these conditions, is the basis for all different types of daśā systems.

Yet when one asks, or is told about what daśā they are in, it is implied they are talking about the viṁśottarī daśā system called out by mahāṛṣi (mahārishi) parāśar in his brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra ( bphs abbreviation), chapter 48. This is one of 32 daśā systems , and there
are even more.

What is so interesting ( to me ) is we are told the viṁśottarī daśā period is 120 years in length. This is to be used for people in kali yug , and is considered the longest life span for this period or pūrṇa āyus ( full life). Hence because of this sync-up between the daśā system and the length of life in kali yug it is a good match for all to use.

So, when a jyotiṣa is asked ' what does vimśottari mean', they say 120 years.

This word may mean/indicate 120 years but it does not say ( by definition) 120 years. Yet people still call it viṁśottarī daśā.
If we called out 120 years we could say it two ways:

viṃśaṃ śata = 100 (śata) + 20 (viṃśa)
vimśottaraśata as it is called out in the bphs , chapter 48.14
vimśottaraśata = vimśa + uttara + śata
viṃśa = consisting of 20 parts
uttara = followed by
śata = 100
Now my question for those that wish to entertain this idea...
Why call this daśā system viṁśottarī ? viṁśottarī = viṁśa + uttarī

praṇām

Adhvagat
31 March 2011, 05:23 PM
Are there dashas with longer spans? What are their names? Are they still of any use in Kali Yuga?

yajvan
31 March 2011, 05:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté PI,

Are there dashas with longer spans? What are their names? Are they still of any use in Kali Yuga?

There are many, none that I have seen longer then 120 years. If this has peaked your interest consider looking at the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra.

There are many - uḍu based ( meaning a lunar mansion ), there are sign based , etc. many more then I wish to list . Only the very senior (meaning accomplished) jyotiṣa will know these mulitple systems - i.e. when to properly apply them.

We can study the mechanics of them, but proper application and translation of them is key.

praṇām

yajvan
31 March 2011, 06:27 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There are many, none that I have seen longer then 120 years.
There are many - uḍu based ( meaning a lunar mansion )...

I would be remiss if I did not mention that the nārāyaṇa daśā system is a 144 year based system. Yet it is not a uḍu based system. Hence why I did not mention in the last post but should have.

Hope this adds a pinch of clarity or clears any confusion.

praṇām

yajvan
12 April 2011, 02:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

What is so interesting ( to me ) is we are told the viṁśottarī daśā period is 120 years in length. This is to be used for people in kali yug , and is considered the longest life span for this period or pūrṇa āyus ( full life). Hence because of this sync-up between
the daśā system and the length of life in kali yug it is a good match for all to use.

I have been looking for some time now, to find the logic used of parsing out the viṁśottarī daśā into its maha-daśā's that are
called out e.g. 6 years for the sun, 17 years for mars, 16 years for jupiter etc.
Why not 7 years for the sun? and say 16 years for mars 10 years for jupiter? The only one I see that aligns with its trip around
the zodiac is rāhu/ketu taking 18 years or 1.5 years per sign.

I am sure mahāṛṣi (mahārishi) parāśar had reason for his calculations. As in kali yug we are to live a max of 120 years ,
I can see the alignment to 120º of the zodiac that would include ( then) the pūruṣārthara's or four aims of existence or human pursuit :
kāma ,artha , dharma , mokṣa.

These are the kind of things that of great value ( to me); the mechanics behind the jyotish applications that are in use
over the ages. We get to know how the great jyotisa's think and an insight into their modes of reasoning.

... I continue to look for the viṁśottarī¹ answer.

praṇām

words

viṁśottarī - this word may mean/indicate 120 years but it does not say ( by definition) 120 years. Yet people still call it viṁśottarī daśā.
If we called out 120 years we could say it two ways:

viṃśaṃ śata = 100 (śata) + 20 (viṃśa)
vimśottaraśata as it is called out in the bphs , chapter 48.14
vimśottaraśata = vimśa + uttara + śata
viṃśa = consisting of 20 parts
uttara = followed by
śata = 100