PDA

View Full Version : A disappointed hindu: Lets talk to him please.

charitra
05 April 2011, 09:57 PM
Namaste all. A Fellow hindu in US is disappointed with hinduism, I feel helping him regain his belief is our collective dharma. He has been following the SD for sometime and has been what can be described a devout hindu, well, until recently. He is currently going through a serious introspection, I hope you will read his March1 post and respond. Thank you. Om Shanti.
http://bamboothoughtlemons.blogspot.com/

Sahasranama
05 April 2011, 10:16 PM
I am not going to bother. He is bound up to be confused trying to establish his identity as a Hindu while still clinging to the perennial philosophy and his background as a baptist Christian. If you want to create an identity, you first have to know what's not part of your identity.

Adhvagat
05 April 2011, 10:17 PM
Commented on the post.

I am not going to bother, he seems to be hung up about universalism. He is bound up to be confused trying to establish his identity as a Hindu while still clinging to the perennial philosophy.

Why not try a discussion and expose him what you perceive as flaws in that line of thought? Not everyone is at the same level.

devotee
05 April 2011, 10:47 PM
Namaste,

I think our esteemed Hindu friends Yajvan, Eastern Mind, NayaSurya, Sunyata, Pietro, Grames etc. are in a better position to help this man as they have been through all this.

It is silly to believe that you have to be born to be Hindu and there is no other way. This smells like sme sort of religious chauvinism. :mad:

You simply declare yourself a Hindu and start behaving like a Hindu ... that is all. There is no church, no Mullah in Hinduism to either insist on your compulsory conversion or reject you as a Hindu. However, you may come accross some people who have extremist ideas but why to follow that exception than the rule ? There are quite a few organisations who can help you in formal conversion like Arya Samaj, ISKCON and other Gaudia Vaishnava Sampradaya, Kashmir Shaivism etc. There are many organisations which take you in their fold & accept as disciples from all religions and sects without any discrimination like Ramkrishna Mission, Self Realisation Fellowship (SRF), Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's sect, Brahma Kumaris, Art of Living (Sri Sri Ravishankar) etc.

OM

Sahasranama
05 April 2011, 11:06 PM
Commented on the post.

Why not try a discussion and expose him what you perceive as flaws in that line of thought? Not everyone is at the same level.

I don't mind if he doesn't want to be a Hindu, it's his choice. I don't see religion as a numbers game, if someone feels reprehension towards Hinduism, then maybe he should find something else. I think we are better of improving our own understanding of Hinduism rather than trying to convince people how awesome our religion is.

Adhvagat
05 April 2011, 11:53 PM
Hinduism ends up being unwelcoming because:

- Hinduism is comprised of several diferent philosophical schools with conflicting teachings (looking at it with a dualistic point of view)
- Hinduism is intrinscically tied to India
- There are cultural barriers
- There are language barriers

And then the factors that may further aggravate confusion, like being very different from Judaism/Christianity/Islamism, having concepts more complex than the simple monotheism of these religions and also spiritual symbolic images represented in more vivid, colorful ways that may be viewed as unnecessary fantasy.

And it's after reading this guy's post that I have more admiration for ISKCON's mission. Hinduism as a whole definitely needs entry points and people willing to present it to the west.

For me, personally, improving my understanding of Hinduism was also about how to better present the teachings to other people, so they could feel the very amazement that I felt.

PARAM
06 April 2011, 11:39 AM
Tell him to visit HDF, and talk with learned Hindus

Ramakrishna
06 April 2011, 04:14 PM
Namaste,

If his main concern is not being accepted as a Hindu, then he should really join HDF and talk with other Hindu converts as well as share any other doubts he may have about the faith.

Jai Sri Ram

PARAM
07 April 2011, 11:10 AM
If his main concern is not being accepted as a Hindu, then he should really join HDF and talk with other Hindu converts as well as share any other doubts he may have about the faith.

You are right with many others he will not feel lonesome

Art MacAilein
07 April 2011, 05:42 PM
Namaste!

Wow, I never thought my little blog would get around like it has. :)

Well, I have received your gracious invitation, folks, and here I am, eager to hear what you all have to say about Hindu Dharma. However, I must lodge a little protest here in regards to my blog.

It's my fault, of course. And the Internet's. Text is such a difficult medium in which to work with spiritual matters, and I'm really not much of a writer. I'm afraid I've come off as far more concerned with certain matters than I am. To say that I'm "disappointed with Hinduism," well -- while I greatly appreciate your concern and the time you took to read my blog, I would never say I'm disappointed with Hinduism. Yes, I am sometimes disappointed with my place in the religion, or lack thereof. Humans are social beings and there is a significant social element to religion. We feel good surrounded by link-minded people, partaking in time-honored traditions, treading the same path. I don't have any of that and, naturally, it gets under my skin from time to time.

If you can spare the time, please read my most recent blog post. In it, I talk about some recent realizations -- it's a strong word but it's the best I've got - that I've had as well as the important news that, if all goes, I will, in about a month's time, be meeting with Swami Swahananda of the Vedanta Society of Southern California to receive initiation from him. This would be a great honor, one that I truly do not deserve. But if, through Sri Krishna's grace, I manage it, well, it just might be exactly what I've needed.

My apologies if anyone was offended by the tone of my blog. As my meditation teacher, Sri Eknath Easwaran, has said, none suffer more than the lovers of God. The path to the divine is difficult to tread, and I am often weak. I am bound to feel hurt sometimes, lonely sometimes. But feel disappointment with the gorgeous tapestry that is the Sanatana Dharma? Never.

charitra
07 April 2011, 09:59 PM
Namaste!

Wow, I never thought my little blog would get around like it has. :)

The path to the divine is difficult to tread, and I am often weak. I am bound to feel hurt sometimes, lonely sometimes. But feel disappointment with the gorgeous tapestry that is the Sanatana Dharma? Never.

welcome to the forum Art, Iam happy tou are going to work with vedanta center now on, Iam sure you will get what you are looking for. I was associated with the vedanta center here in town, sometime they are kind of irritating bringing in christianityt a tad too much. Thats why I left them.

Ramakrishna
07 April 2011, 11:12 PM
Namaste Art,

Welcome to HDF. I look forward to your posts and feel free to ask any questions you have. You are very fortunate to receive initiation from Swami Swahananda.

Jai Sri Ram

Sahasranama
08 April 2011, 01:31 AM
Welcome to the forum Art,

I apologise if I made any wrong assumptions about you.

grames
08 April 2011, 02:16 AM
Welcome Mr. Art.

It is nice to read a message like this and i am one of them you have responded in your blog. As much as you think internet being difficult medium, it can be a saviour as well. ( e-Jesus? :P )

The first and last advice for anyone who wants to learn Hinduism or practice is just this...

First, don't be too judgmental before your learning is significant enough to make such call. Know what you are seeking and practicing hinduism shouldn't be a fashion or for some personal pride or a hot news for your friends and relatives. It is for YOU, it is ONLY for you. Once you know what you want, what are you seeking, God is so merciful and He gives you every tool, contacts, Guru, Wisdom and patience to grasp and digest all that along with Vairagya (steadfastness) to experience the reality and Truth of spiritual science. So, that genuine first step is the secret and it should be yours.

Hare Krshna!

devotee
08 April 2011, 02:23 AM
Welcome to the forums, Art !

OM

Obelisk
08 April 2011, 03:56 AM
Welcome to the forum, Art! Great to meet you.

I just noticed it's your birthday - many happy returns! May God bless you and help you in your spiritual journey! :)