PDA

View Full Version : Questions about candles and incense

namahsivaya
06 April 2011, 08:25 PM
Namaste all,

I am wondering if it would be appropriate for me to use a flashlight in place of a candle during my worship. My current circumstances don't permit me to use candles. I am just talking about during puja.

I have never used candles before, even when I was able to. But lately I have been thinking and remembering from my observations as well that candles are kind of common during puja that people do. Incense is as well.

But I am not sure of the exact significance of candles and incense during puja. When you wave the candle around in front of the deity, is it to help summon the deity's presence for the puja? Or is it to get blessings from the deity? Also, what role does incense play? I have seen some people keep the candles lit after the puja is over. How long do you generally keep them lit for? Would it be okay to put it out right after the puja? I read somewhere that some people keep candles lit 24/7.

I know practices vary with people, but I would like to know what you personally do with candles and/or incense during your puja. Also, I would like to know if a flashlight can be used instead. I know it may sound kind of dumb, but I guess if candles are important and I'm not able to use them then maybe a flashlight would work instead.

Aum Namah Sivaya

sanjaya
07 April 2011, 09:35 AM
Heh, funny story about that. When I was about six, one of our neighbors had a garage sale, and my dad and I found a candle-shaped electric light. We've used it in my parents' puja room ever since, along with a real candle. Obviously you won't find instructions for this in any Scripture. But I think the idea of the aarti is to make an offering of light to God. I don't feel that it's important that the light come from a candle. Since people typically leave the candle burning all day, I personally think that a light is actually a good idea, since you don't run the risk of accidentally burning it out.

As for the incense, we still use that. Smell is a powerful sensation, and I feel that it's helpful to have incense so as to make the mental association between the puja area and God. But I can't say how much God cares for the offering of incense.

c.smith
08 April 2011, 12:06 PM
Hari Om!

Not sure to the truth to this, but was told recently that a deepam made with ghee and wick puts out negative ions (the ones that make you feel good) and that candles do not. Therefore, when the situation permits, I personally use the former. If a flashlight is all that you can use, so be it. I think that it is the intention that counts. Your God knows what's in your heart. I have also seen the electric light that sanjaya mentions. My personal belief is that the light enables us to connect with God on a deeper level.

In terms of the incense, I've heard from others and agree that it creates a uniform smell and puts on in the meditative or devotional space. It's not something that you would typically use all of the time, so when it is used, it can help take you to that divine place.

Hope this helps.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Arjuni
08 April 2011, 04:42 PM
Namasté, all,

There is a lovely sentence in William Buck's re-telling of Rāmāyaṇa that is this:
The tongues of fire danced, and Indra came unseen in the sky, free again and feasting on smoke.

Buck references a sacrificial fire, and yet it made me think more deeply about the lamp and incense offered in puja in reference to this word feasting. Perhaps our senses - while ultimately to be transcended - are a gift to experience the beauty of the world and as a starting point to experience the wonder of God. And thus we offer to the Devas the most beautiful expressions of those senses - that is, light and fragrance.

There is also the symbolic meaning in the ghee lamp of offering the self to the Self, of burning away the ego and other obstacles that keep us from God. Perhaps incense, also, may be seen as the offering of one's own vital breath in service to the Supreme.

But in answer to the original question - if the Devas 'feast,' it is upon joyous devotion most of all, I think, and the form, while valuable, still holds less importance than the intent. Waving a lamp or incense around accomplishes, spiritually, very little, if one treats sacred fire and smoke with indifference and makes a hasty offering by rote. But a flashlight may be sacred fire, if your devoted heart shines forth in its beam.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

iksvakave
08 April 2011, 05:39 PM
You can always buy the dhiyas that you can plug in. It's what I have done. :) I am also wondering what type of spiritual experience you have with flash light when your devoted heart shine forth the beam and here comes my question to you ---- how do you recieve the beam?

Harinama
04 May 2011, 10:04 AM
There are also little battery-operated tealight candles that light up for about two days and then die... you would be able to put them on an arati plate and offer that to your Deities. :)

Not like I know if they are findable there... they surely are here at certain dollar stores...