PDA

View Full Version : tattoos of god images?

christine
11 April 2011, 09:40 AM
namaste (:

i would like to get a tattoo of the ohm symbol styled to resemble sri ganesha on the inside of my right wrist.

however, my sikh friend said that getting the tattoo so close to my hand would be disrespectful.

is this true? where can i get the tattoo that would be more respectful, or is getting the tattoo in general disrespectful?

any help or insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

sanjaya
11 April 2011, 10:40 AM
Which hand is it?

I ask because in India, the right hand is typically used for sacred purposes while the left is used for the common. For example, when giving dakshina or receiving money or prasadam, we typically use the right hand only. Maybe he meant that getting a tattoo so close to the left hand is disrespectful to God.

christine
11 April 2011, 10:47 AM
it would be on my right wrist.

Onkara
11 April 2011, 10:55 AM
namasté Christine
Defiling the body is considered taboo in some schools of thought as the body is the temple of the spirit. The hands, face, neck etc, tend to be publicly visible and communicate who you are to others instantly.

I am not judging you or your choice, just sharing an opinion on where the idea may come from. :)

Adhvagat
11 April 2011, 01:51 PM
Christine, I've pondered about this as well.

For me, personally, I considered all my actions. Would all my actions always be respectful? What about when I go to the bathroom? :p

I conclude that the hand would not be the best place. Right now I plan to tattoo something, but not in the arm or hand anyway, in a more hidden/neutral place like my back perhaps.

In my case, at first I wanted just the phrase "satyameva jayate", but now I want the full blown Lion of Ashoka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Emblem_of_India.svg

charitra
11 April 2011, 02:31 PM
Dont get too carried away with the faith please, I dont like to see a cross or an OM on hand etc., they make me feel the individuals are intolerant to other faiths though it simply is a misperception. Are we, intolerant?
You instead buy a shirt or a pendant with Om on it for now.Om Shanti.

BryonMorrigan
11 April 2011, 03:49 PM
Dont get too carried away with the faith please, I dont like to see a cross or an OM on hand etc., they make me feel the individuals are intolerant to other faiths though it simply is a misperception. Are we, intolerant?
You instead buy a shirt or a pendant with Om on it for now.Om Shanti.

Do you really think that 99% of Americans would even recognize an Om symbol if they saw one? Much less see it as a symbol of Sanatana Dharma? I could walk down the streets of just about any American city in a dhoti, carrying a saffron flag, and chanting a mantra...and I bet you that most people would just think I was a Muslim or a Buddhist. ;)

Regarding tattoos, well...I doubt anyone here knows this, but I probably am more heavily-tattooed than anyone else on this board. I'm doing a theme of historical battles, mostly from the ancient world...but the crowning achievement is going to be a huge back-piece depicting Shivaji defeating the Mughals. ;)

Things to keep in mind:

1. Before getting anything religious, make sure that you are going to stick with this religion. Yes, you may feel right now as if this is where you belong, but you are still young, and people go through a lot of changes during their 20s. I'm not saying that you aren't...I'm just saying that some reflection is certainly necessary.

2. Think about future tattoos. Are you planning to get more? If so, getting a small symbol might impact future designs. Think about how these things all tie in together.

3. Think about your career. I'm a writer. I spend all day alone in my house typing. My career is not impacted one iota by my appearance. That's not the case with most people. Think about what you plan for your life ahead.

4. If you do decide to get an Om symbol that is "stylized"...make sure that a native Indian has looked at it and determined that it still says, "Om." The last thing you want to have is a symbol that actually says, "Uhhh" or something. ;) This actually happens a lot with Westerners getting tattoos of Asian languages. For example, read this: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/22251

Onkara
12 April 2011, 02:27 AM
Hi Christine
What about wearing a necklace with the Aum around your neck for a month, to see what the reaction would be (before getting a tattoo for life)? I would be interested in anyone's reaction, those who know you might ask for more info :)

Adhvagat
12 April 2011, 04:14 AM
Regarding tattoos, well...I doubt anyone here knows this, but I probably am more heavily-tattooed than anyone else on this board.

So aside from feeling superior to us (untattooed heathens) based on ink injected underneath the skin you also use your siddhic vision to see everyone on this forum without clothes?! You're just a horrible person, Bryon. :p

satay
12 April 2011, 09:46 AM
namaste,

however, my sikh friend said that getting the tattoo so close to my hand would be disrespectful.

I don't think your sikh friend knows what he or she is talking about. I know a lot of sikhs that have a the 'OnKar' tattoed on their right hand. I know a lot of hindus that have OM or Ganesh tattoed on their right hand also. It seems like this was a common thing for people to do just thirty forty years ago. I see a lot of people at the temple, people of my dad's age, with tattoes on their hand or arm. Hardly ever see a tattoo on people of my age though.

That said, give due consideration to the whole process of getting a tattoo.

Ramakrishna
12 April 2011, 10:38 AM
Namaste Christine,

What about wearing a necklace with the Aum around your neck for a month, to see what the reaction would be (before getting a tattoo for life)?

I agree with this suggestion. I wear a necklace with an Aum pendant, and I'm satisfied with that. You might like it as well, so it's worth a try. It's especially nice if you get it blessed either at home or at a temple.

Jai Sri Ram

Eastern Mind
21 April 2011, 05:26 PM
namaste (:

i would like to get a tattoo of the ohm symbol styled to resemble sri ganesha on the inside of my right wrist.

is this true? where can i get the tattoo that would be more respectful, or is getting the tattoo in general disrespectful?

any help or insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Vannakkam: I think others have given great advice. I just wanted to mention it is either Om or Aum. Ohm is some word for an electrical charge I think. Many westerners have no idea what it means, and basically think its a peace symbol like the one from the sixties. In a way it is similar. I think tattoos are mainly a generational trend, originally reserved for army guys, but now for pretty much anyone. Certainly there are no Hindu restrictions (that I know of) I don't have one and don't want one, but I'm an old man. Best wishes with it.

I personally prefer the art of the Tamil Aum better. http://www.google.ca/search?q=Tamil+Aum&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=eC3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=A6-wTZ38LcTKiALhnrivBg&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1424&bih=713 Now that would really confuse the westerners.

Aum Namasivaya

Divine Kala
22 April 2011, 08:05 AM
Just thought I might offer up some samples. I've also been thinking about getting a tattoo of the AUM syllable and below is just some of my research and two designs I came up with based on the waythik and byranike scripts. I will, eventually, get one done on the back of my neck at the base of my skull.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/Kyoki_Kala/Art/Aums_0001.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/Kyoki_Kala/Art/Aums_0003.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/Kyoki_Kala/Art/Aums_0002.jpg

Harinama
04 May 2011, 08:09 AM
Omgosh, those last two OM's look like happy OMs!

I used to have an OM pendant that I wore with my tulasi neckbeads, but I gave them to someone else because she really wanted one, and lived in the middle of rural Alberta. XD

It's unecessary for Vaishnavas to wear such bodily decorations, let alone a tattoo. In my matha that I followed, the ladies are to dress in simple cotton saris, maybe one bangle and simple earrings. When you have neckbeads (tulasi kunthi-mala) and Vaishnava tilaka (urdhva-paundra tilaka), you look beautiful already! ;)

That being said, I think tattoos can be dangerous if you have any devata on your body. What if you are engaged in sex or going to the bathroom... it would be horrendous to me, and can be offensive. I've heard from my friend that they even had OM underwear... T__T Good grief!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/images/2004/08/16/hare_krisna203_203x152.jpg

Here are some beautiful young ladies. Kishoris from Vaikunthaloka!! ;) Nice saris, tilaka and neckbeads. No need for tattoos! :D

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_53XVCwmmVIQ/TIuwHCGdJfI/AAAAAAAAWME/VRzuiKt2X3M/_MG_8427.jpg

dave14jones
10 May 2012, 04:21 AM
I don’t think it's a problem. No doubt India is a very good country but you may face problem for anything you least expect in India. So, decide according to people around you.

Spiritualseeker
29 May 2012, 05:40 AM
Namaste,

My view only. I feel that having tattoos of the Gods and Goddesses is acceptable. I hear people say that the body is dirty or that it is unclean if you are having sex with the tattoo of the holy image, but to me God is infinite. Since God is infinite all things are contained in Him. He is everywhere including the tattoo, the body, or anything else. I feel that you cannot offend God. If tattoos remind you of your mission to find true Peace, then it should be alright. God is beyond pure or impure.

Om Namah Shivaya

McKitty
02 June 2012, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone,

I agree with Spiritual Seeker for this point. And a tattoo can be made not necessarily for reverence, but for protection too. In south-east asia I have seen buddhist monks and priests tattooing people with antiques patterns of mantras and images and then blessing them with a protection mantra. I have seen a priest pouring acid on his own hands, and feel nothing. After he tattooed and blessed a guy against agressions, he hit the devotee with a sharp sword. The guy had the marks of the sword, but no blood, no harm.

I guess it's from a more "magical" branch of Budhism, but there are many stories of people surviving assaults and accidents after getting those kinds of tattoo. Like the story of a guy who survived a car accident and thanking his Ganesha mantra tattoo.

This can seems a bit easy, but the monk explained that this does not works automatically. One wishing to have this protection must get those mantras done and blessed by a priest/monk. And more importantly, he must follows stricly the rules of Dharma and watch his acts.

It's like a double edged sword in the end

Arjuni
04 June 2012, 03:29 PM
Namasté,

McKitty, your post reminded me of another religious tradition besides Buddhism - Vodou, in which divine protection is conferred by a gad (or garde), done by making a cut into the skin, which is then rubbed with herbs and consecrated with prayers.

I too agree that a tattoo can be a good thing if it's deeply considered, and cared for with respect. (With the caveat that it's very important to choose carefully, and I speak as a person with five tattoos, two being religious symbols from a former religious path. I was extremely fortunate that these tattoos continue to have meaning for me today.)

My personal feeling is that religious symbol(s) would be a better choice for tattooing than a Deva/i's image, though. It would be strange to me, to perform pūjā to an image on my wall, but carry an image around on my skin that just kind of...sat there, you know?

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

McKitty
04 June 2012, 04:19 PM
Hi,

Yes, I agree on what Indraneela say. However, Voodoo is the kind of thing I wouldn't go in. I mean it's mainly oriented over summoning and worshipping forces with their own laws, their own character...And mainly oriented to death and afterlife. I wouldn't feel getting a voodoo tattoo without fully understand and control the force behind it.

About what I talked about before: those tattoo are called "sak yant", and they are very popular in south east asia, especially in Thailand. They originated from India eons ago and were adapted to the local beliefs, but keeping their buddhist/Hindu meaning.
A person tattooed with a Sak yant is said to be blessed with protection, power, depending on wich sak yant he wear. But only at the condition that the sak yant is done and blessed by a priest/monk by a ritual, and by reciting proper mantras and living according to a good Dharma.

Here are the traditionnal tools for tattooing a sak yant, in wood or metal:
http://www.thaiguidetothailand.com/wp-content/gallery/sak-yant/khem-sak.jpg

Here is a type of sak yant for protecting the wearer in each directions:
http://www.thaiguidetothailand.com/wp-content/gallery/sak-yant/paed-tidt-2.jpg

Here is one of the numerous designs of the Hanuman Sak Yant: Hanuman is apparently very popular and is said to bestow many good things for ones wearing his sak yant and reciting his mantra.

http://www.thaiguidetothailand.com/wp-content/gallery/sak-yant/sak-yant-hanuman-b-copy.jpg

There are even more designs of sak yant, even ones with Lord Ganesha on it. They are seen like powerful talismans, not really murtis. So, I don't think is disrespectful or else.

Aum~

IcyCosmic
04 June 2012, 06:26 PM
I've been lurking this thread for ages, I've finally got my answer. I have no issue with getting an Aum tattoo now. Do you think these tattoos work McKitty these voodoo ones, that need proper rituals and monks. Can you get one with Shiva?

yajvan
05 June 2012, 11:18 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If a tattoo = a mark on one's self this mark (lakṣaṇa¹) exists on us all already. We have the ~mark~ of ignorance, and the ~mark~ of the Supreme that resides within us all day long. Yet many want it to be percievable, viewable (lakṣya¹).

For me I wish to keep the mark (liṅgam¹) un-percieved as this aligns to how the devatā wish to work. This is confirmed in the aitareya upaniṣad¹, that the devatā-s are fond of the 'indirect' way.

praṇām

words

lakṣaṇa - a mark , sign , symbol , token , characteristic , attribute , quality
lakṣya - observable , perceptible , visible
liṅgam - mark, badge , emblem , characteristic i.e. tal-liṅga having anything for a mark or sign ; in logic it is vyāpya , the invariable mark which proves the existence of anything in an object
aitareya upaniṣad 3.14

IcyCosmic
05 June 2012, 12:22 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If a tattoo = a mark on one's self this mark (lakṣaṇa¹) exists on us all already. We have the ~mark~ of ignorance, and the ~mark~ of the Supreme that resides within us all day long. Yet many want it to be percievable, viewable (lakṣya¹).

For me I wish to keep the mark (liṅgam¹) un-percieved as this aligns to how the devatā wish to work. This is confirmed in the aitareya upaniṣad¹, that the devatā-s are fond of the 'indirect' way.

praṇām

words
lakṣaṇa - a mark , sign , symbol , token , characteristic , attribute , quality
lakṣya - observable , perceptible , visible
liṅgam - mark, badge , emblem , characteristic i.e. tal-liṅga having anything for a mark or sign ; in logic it is vyāpya , the invariable mark which proves the existence of anything in an object
aitareya upaniṣad 3.14

How would the supreme 'react' per say to an individual getting a religious tattoo in order to help their spiritual progress even if indirectly is a hindrance in the lords eyes? Is it permissable

yajvan
05 June 2012, 12:48 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté IcySFX

How would the supreme 'react' per say to an individual getting a religious tattoo in order to help their spiritual progress even if indirectly is a hindrance in the lords eyes? Is it permissable
I would be embarrasing myself if I even hinted that I knew how the Supreme would react.

Yet if someone asked me for my personal opinion on this matter, I would wear the markings of śiva or viṣṇu on my forehead per our tradition if one wished to have a visiable mark. If one would wish to keep their lakṣaṇa private (as I wish to) then I would wear rudrākṣa. Here we can be confident of the benefits that accompany wearing this rudrākṣa that are pointed out in the śiva mahāpurāṇa.

praṇām

IcyCosmic
05 June 2012, 01:03 PM
Would a visible or non-visible Aum tattoo be okay?

yajvan
05 June 2012, 01:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté IcySFX

... do as you see fit.

Let me offer my position on this and any other type of tattoo. I came into this world unmarked, I will leave it as such.

The body comes and goes, that is why it is called śarīra¹.
IMHO to spend time on marking the body with something that will be gone, and the symbol on the skin that will shrivel with age, where one will not even be able to make out what the mark was to begin with seems to me precious time lost. I would much rather spend the effort doing ajapa-gāyatrī which brings the supreme closer to me. I would much rather take the money that would be used for the tattoo and offer it to some one in need.

These are my thoughts , others may differ.

praṇām

1. śarīra - 'that which is easily destroyed or dissolved'; the body , bodily frame

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 01:44 PM
Namaste Icy.

I have a devanagari Om on my right delt. Every Hindu I have met who has seen it (in summer I run around in sleeveless t shirts) loves it and is "tickled pink".

IcyCosmic
05 June 2012, 02:11 PM
I respect your opinion Yajvan and I will meditate on the matter a little longer before making a decision.

Lovely tattoo Touched - I like the design, looks nice.

Jainarayan
05 June 2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks.

arjunah
10 June 2012, 04:12 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté IcySFX

... do as you see fit.

Let me offer my position on this and any other type of tattoo. I came into this world unmarked, I will leave it as such.

The body comes and goes, that is why it is called śarīra¹.
IMHO to spend time on marking the body with something that will be gone, and the symbol on the skin that will shrivel with age, where one will not even be able to make out what the mark was to begin with seems to me precious time lost. I would much rather spend the effort doing ajapa-gāyatrī which brings the supreme closer to me. I would much rather take the money that would be used for the tattoo and offer it to some one in need.

These are my thoughts , others may differ.

praṇām

1. śarīra - 'that which is easily destroyed or dissolved'; the body , bodily frame

Could you explain what wearing rudrākṣa means? I don't quite understand but I am interested because I like privacy and do not like having to explain my actions to people. I agree with what you have to say concerning tattoos.

In my opinion people get tattoos for two reasons. The first is ego. We are able to separate ourselves from others and make ourselves unique by having these marks on our skin.

The second, which is pretty far-fetched, is that our higher-self is trying to tell us to control our senses. Our lower-self interprets this as trying to ignore our sense of feeling and go through the pain of tattoos, which many people become addicted to.

I once considered getting tattoos of deities. My reasoning was I wanted to remember they were there beside me. Upon further investigation into my reasoning it was because I wanted to impress people.

The marks on my skin would not lead me to be more mindful, they would most likely just become a distraction as they would draw attention to my individuality.

yajvan
11 June 2012, 08:14 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

ॐ रुद्राय नमः
oṁ rudrāya namaḥ

Could you explain what wearing rudrākṣa means?

Please consider this HDF Post:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6228 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6228)

praṇām