PDA

View Full Version : Offerings to Durga

Divine Kala
12 April 2011, 04:01 AM
What can I offer to Durga? What sort of fruits or foods does she traditionally like?

sunyata07
12 April 2011, 01:38 PM
Namaste DK,

I've heard that it's the tradition to offer Maa Durga red coloured foods, red flowers, red kumkum, red cloths, etc. Not surprising as the colour red is an important part of Her iconography. As to the exact types of food one could offer Her, I'm just as curious to know. :)

Om namah Shivaya

Sahasranama
12 April 2011, 01:46 PM
In the Surinam Hindu community, lapsi roti is considered the choice for Durga puja. This is a roti fried in ghee filled with pudding.

http://94.100.126.103/735950001-736000000/735952901-735953000/735953000_16_h9Sj.jpeg

devotee
12 April 2011, 10:45 PM
Namaste DK and Sunyata,

As to the exact types of food one could offer Her, I'm just as curious to know. :)

It depends on devotee. She is the mother of all & therefore she is worshipped by devotees as per their orientations and likings. Normally, she is offered fresh fruits, sweets, Kheer (rice cooked in milk sweetened with sugar) , Puris (wheat flour preparation fried in cooking oil/ghee), Pua, Khichri (rice-pulse mixed and cooked together with vegetables) etc. etc.

The non-vegetarians also offer her sacrifices of goat/buffalo/fish/bird etc. but majority of Hindus offer her sattvik vegetarian food only.

She is our mother and she accepts anything whatever is offered to her with love and affection ... no tantrums.

OM

Divine Kala
13 April 2011, 02:14 AM
She is our mother and she accepts anything whatever is offered to her with love and affection ... no tantrums.

What a wonderful way to put it!

I was wondering if anyone knows the recipe for something they serve at temple as prashad. It's made with wheat gram flour, I think, and is kinda fluffy and sweet and quite oily. I'd love to be able to offer that to Mother.

Sahasranama
13 April 2011, 02:15 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows the recipe for something they serve at temple as prashad. It's made with wheat gram flour, I think, and is kinda fluffy and sweet and quite oily. I'd love to be able to offer that to Mother.

Did it look like this?

http://www.mark-pearson.com/indian-cooking-recipe-pictures/Semolina%20Halva%20%28Sooji%20ka%20halva%29.jpg

Divine Kala
13 April 2011, 02:33 AM
Did it look like this?

http://www.mark-pearson.com/indian-cooking-recipe-pictures/Semolina%20Halva%20%28Sooji%20ka%20halva%29.jpg

Yeap but the one at temple is a LOT oilier than that! Now that I know what it is, I can make it and offer it up to Durga (and Kali, and Shiva and Ganesha... and the linga...)

Sahasranama
13 April 2011, 02:50 AM
Yes, you can make it with different types of flour. This one is made with semolina flour, you can also make it with normal flour and then it becomes stickier.

Sahasranama
13 April 2011, 03:06 AM
Also, if you are going to make prasada, you should buy some special cooking pots for this purpose. Don't cook in the pots you use for your normal cooking.

smaranam
13 April 2011, 10:52 AM

Namaste Divine Kala,

Recipes: Halwas Laddoos Cakes Cookies Thread (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5636)

As for offerings to Ma Durga, white flowers during Navaratri - 9 nights - before dashehera. Yellow flowers (preferably daisy-geranium kind, ideally "shevanti") on Friday. Channa (harbara - dried toasted chick pea - ready to eat) mixed with sugar globules or crystals is also typical prasad on Fridays during the month of Shravan. This is tradition i am passing down to you from my mother.

praNAm

rkpande
13 April 2011, 10:15 PM
the best offering to maa durga is your Ego.
and the best way to make prasadam is sadhana

rk