PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Chicago - Resources

Water
15 April 2011, 12:00 AM
There seems to be a literal ton of interesting things near Chicago with their heart in Hinduism.

Any suggestions or advice for the area?

Has anyone been to the Rama Temple aka Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago? They've got a very large area dedicated to Swami Vivekananda.

There are also 2 ISKCon locations.

And the Balaji temple.

I hear there are a few Vedantic institutions near the area, too, but have no idea what they are or how to locate them.

Eastern Mind
20 April 2011, 09:05 PM
Vannakkam Water: Welcome to these forums. I was in Chicago about 10 days back. We visited the Balaji temple for an evening. I really liked it there, as it was busy with great volunteerism going on. Of course Hindu temples vary a lot in style. The Balaji one is a South Indian variety attended by mostly Telegu and Tamil people. Pujas are done in South Indian style. So a lot might depend on what you are looking for. Are you familiar with temples at all?

Aum Namasivaya

Water
21 April 2011, 02:10 AM
Ah, too bad I missed you!

I've been to very small Vedanta temples. Nothing too formal.

A few of the ISKCon temples. Again, not too formal.

And a few temples for events like Holi. Other than that.... not very familiar at all. :\

Eastern Mind
21 April 2011, 08:15 AM
Ah, too bad I missed you!

I've been to very small Vedanta temples. Nothing too formal.

A few of the ISKCon temples. Again, not too formal.

And a few temples for events like Holi. Other than that.... not very familiar at all. :\

Vannakkam again: Then you would find Balaji temple very different. There is no sermon, just various people going in, privately worshipping, sponsoring all kinds of pujas to all kinds of Gods. We were there on a Saturday night and probably 300 people were there. The main central sanctum is Balaji, but there are large separate shrines for Ganesha, Murugan, Siva, Meenakshi, and more. If you go on a weekend, they have a canteen as well, in the basement, so you can have a very decent South Indian vegetarian meal too. On weekends its open 9 to 9.

You could just go in, and watch what others are doing.

Aum Namasivaya