PDA

View Full Version : Are we living in a Bubble?

satay
14 December 2006, 11:55 AM
“Ultimately, one finds out that we are all living in our little bubbles and can not influence the core of any other person be they be your wife, brother, friend or anyone else.”

This is a comment made by my best friend (who by the way happens to be a devoted Christian) over dinner one night at my home as we were discussing some general life matters.

I did not comment back on this statement at that time, as I wanted to contemplate on it. I have been thinking about it for over a month now…ultimately, Are we all living in our little separate bubbles?

I have thought about it from both the Christian perspective as well as the hindu perspective, though I must admit that my bias towards Hinduism has to be taken into consideration here.

Finally, today I realized that No, we are not all living in separate bubbles. In fact, we are all connected to each other via what is known as ‘the self’ or ‘Atma’. Isn’t it? This atma could be compared to a river or akasha. This entity that is our true nature is what binds us all to the rest of the animals and to every atom of this universe.

Now, to the second point of my friend, can we influence ‘the core’ of the other person, meaning can we influence another person so much that their inherent nature or gunas change? In other words, when Bhagwan talks about asuric nature, could this asuric nature be influenced to the point that it becomes satvic or vice versa?

I have seen on the surface many humans change because of the influence of others but I am not so sure that one can change another person’s core.

Thoughts?

Znanna
14 December 2006, 07:16 PM
I have seen on the surface many humans change because of the influence of others but I am not so sure that one can change another person’s core.

Thoughts?

I think that I continue to become myself. It isn't change, it is more like metamorphosis.

YMMV

ZN

sm78
20 December 2006, 05:57 AM
“Ultimately, one finds out that we are all living in our little bubbles and can not influence the core of any other person be they be your wife, brother, friend or anyone else.”

I personally think that this statement carries a good amount of weight.

No one can influence another person unless it is the other person's own wish (which ofcourse is mahamaya's wish :) ).

Remember Lord Krishna started instructing Arjuna only after the later
accepted the former as teacher. He displayed no intension to influence
or teach or preach arjuna while the former was relaying his dissatisfaction
with the situations at hand.

From metaphysics, this unverse with it's friends, enemies, gods, demi-gods and demons are all in the eyes of the beholder. And each of us may have a sligtly different universe in mind. Or from monistic theistic sense, Mahamaya creates and sustains and destroyes many many universes.

That's why dogmas, trying to set rules for others is inherently wrong.

Finally, today I realized that No, we are not all living in separate bubbles. In fact, we are all connected to each other via what is known as ‘the self’ or ‘Atma’. Isn’t it? This atma could be compared to a river or akasha. This entity that is our true nature is what binds us all to the rest of the animals and to every atom of this universe.

We may be pieces of one big puzzle, but I don't think one piece has much control over another. This from a dualistic perspective

sm78
20 December 2006, 06:12 AM
The christian concept of independence based on free-will is an entirely differnt proposition though. :)

atanu
20 December 2006, 06:58 AM
Namaste everybody,

We may also ask: Am I the bubble?