PDA

View Full Version : Namaste. :)

cmorel02
19 April 2011, 03:57 PM
Hello, I am completely new to hinduism, but relize there are different "paths" one can take in the religion, and I think that the Shivaiya Dharma is calling to me. But I really do hope to learn a lot from this website.

I had just a little question though...I am gay and ran across some statements that suggest Hinduism accepts homosexuality, while others say it is condemned. Can you guys enlighten me on this...? :confused:

Ramakrishna
19 April 2011, 11:47 PM
Namaste cmorel02,

Welcome to HDF. What you read is exactly correct. Sanatana Dharma is very vast, and some Hindus see nothing wrong with homosexuality while others condemn it. One thing to note though is that even those Hindus who condemn homosexuality, generally do not condemn it or demonize it to the level that the Abrahamic religions do. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Jai Sri Ram

wundermonk
20 April 2011, 07:25 AM
I had just a little question though...I am gay and ran across some statements that suggest Hinduism accepts homosexuality, while others say it is condemned. Can you guys enlighten me on this...? :confused:

Welcome to HDF.

I personally have no idea whether Hindu texts explicitly condemn/support homosexuality. There appears to be atleast one homosexual Hindu (an expert too) here (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hindus-946/indexExp_61921.htm).

cmorel02
20 April 2011, 07:49 AM
Thank you. It was nice to hear your opinions...:)

Water
20 April 2011, 12:05 PM
First, I am no one important and certainly not a representation of all of the members on this forum.

That being said....

There is also the connection of Ram Das to promoting bisexuality.... for what it's worth. I believe he later recalled the statements because of public outcry later. You can still find references on "pro-gay" topics that mention the advocation.

I find it really strange how people are identifying sexuality and gender into all of this. You aren't required to perform sex-acts in any form of worship (well, if you are, you should probably call the police!).

Especially in Sanatana Dharma where there is no attachment to your soul and Self and your physical desires (sexuality), there simply isn't a place for it. Temple is certainly no place for boyfriend/girlfriend/public displays of affection/etc except for on very, very rare occasions.

That being said, your soul isn't "gay" or "straight" as that would be a trait of your manifested self (and arguably, your own gross body and/or intellect).

So how would that possibly apply to any religion? :)

You can certainly find references in scripture saying that men should be chaste and that semen contains souls waiting to live - you could say that any sex act that does not result in conception is adharmic regardless of who your partner is.

So rather than identifying with your labelled sexuality and the positive and/or negative connotations as a result of society - seek yourself and identify with you instead! :)

Personally, I find sexuality and religion to be very personal things. I get quite puzzled when people run up and say things like, "Hi! I'm a [pick: gay, straight, lesbian, transgender, celibate] [pick: Christian, Western Hindu, New Age, Catholic, Jehovah's Witness]!" and it makes me laugh and I really want to reply, "Hi! I like to fornicate with tinfoil while concentrating on Hal-9000 and I believe in the high power of the Squirrel Lord!"

charitra
20 April 2011, 01:11 PM
culturally speaking hindu lands allowed transgenders (google hijra) live openly for a very long time. No persecution or no hounding ever took place. That said, at individual level some peple may express some intolerance. But then I dont speak from scriptural point of view so no help there from me.

Water
20 April 2011, 02:53 PM
culturally speaking hindu lands allowed transgenders (google hijra) live openly for a very long time. No persecution or no hounding ever took place. That said, at individual level some peple may express some intolerance. But then I dont speak from scriptural point of view so no help there from me.

Actually, that reminds me of a recent story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prahlad_Jani

I'll first link the Wikipedia article as it is the most objective....

Then I'll add a quote from another source for relevance:

At the age of 11, Jani underwent a religious experience and became a follower of the Hindu goddess Amba. From this time, he has chosen to dress as a female devotee of Amba, wearing a red sari-like garment, jewellery and crimson flowers in his shoulder-length hair.

http://lovelyharshal.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/prahlad-jani-who-survives-without-food-and-water-for-over-6-decades/

Eastern Mind
20 April 2011, 09:01 PM
Hello, I am completely new to hinduism, but relize there are different "paths" one can take in the religion, and I think that the Shivaiya Dharma is calling to me. But I really do hope to learn a lot from this website.

Vannakkam cmorel: Welcome to these forums. The soul has no gender or sexual orientation. It is part of the divine and well beyond that. Best wishes. Aum Namasivaya