PDA

View Full Version : Similar Threads

satay
20 April 2011, 10:27 AM
Namaste,

I finally added the 'similar threads' feature to HDF. With this feature turned on, you will see 'similar threads' list that shows threads similar to the one that you are looking at. This feature works in search results as well.

Please let me know what you think of this new feature. Also, let me know if you feel that the forum has become slower. The new feature can cause performance problems i.e. slower page loads.

Enjoy.

c.smith
20 April 2011, 12:26 PM
Great idea and especially helpful. Even if it initially slows down the forum, it should help in the long run because there will be fewer duplicate threads (hopefully). You're so "cutting edge"! :)

Hari Om!

yajvan
20 April 2011, 12:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté satay

I finally added the 'similar threads' feature to HDF. With this feature turned on, you will see 'similar threads' list that shows threads similar to the one that you are looking at. This feature works in search results as well.

Can you assist? Is this a tool button I can select? i.e. where do I see it?
I know you selected it 'on' globally, do I need to do somethng locally to make it work?

Thank you - I think this will be a great feature to use. I am sure it is on this dashboard some where...

http://www.avion.com/PhotoGallery/PhotoGalleryImages/panel55.jpg

praṇām

smaranam
20 April 2011, 01:18 PM
I did notice that, thanks. It becomes a very useful feature when someone is on a detective search spree for a specific topic, and worth the performance trade.

praNAm

satay
20 April 2011, 01:49 PM
namaste yajvan,

No, actually you don't have to do anything on your end. When you click on a thread, similar threads list shows up towards the bottom of the screen. That is only if there are similar threads. For some threads there are no similar threads thus no list.

For example, look at the bottom of this page!

Now, I think the software might not be smart enough in some instances when producing the similar thread list but it tries... :)

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté satay

Can you assist? Is this a tool button I can select? i.e. where do I see it?
I know you selected it 'on' globally, do I need to do somethng locally to make it work?

praṇām

Adhvagat
20 April 2011, 03:07 PM
This tool was quite handy for me the other day... And now I understand why I hadn't seen it before, it was new. Thanks.

yajvan
20 April 2011, 04:40 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté satay

namaste yajvan,

For example, look at the bottom of this page!
:)

Ahhh !ha! - That is where it is. Now I see. Never scrolled down far enough.

thank you,

http://cipicchia.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/happy-smile2.jpg

devotee
20 April 2011, 06:15 PM
Great ! Thanks Satay ! :)

OM

saidevo
20 April 2011, 08:17 PM
namaste Satay.

The 'similar threads' feature could be very helpful. Since this feature found in forums like the Indusladies with over 123,000 members and Audarya Fellowship with over 30,000 members has not apparently slowed down their servers, we need not have that apprehension IMO.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-festival-recipes/121677-pongal-2011-a.html
http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vedic-verses/1411690-4-yugas-14-manus-brahmas-lifespan-grafix.html

It seems that the Audarya Fellowship forum has been revived...

satay
20 April 2011, 11:16 PM
Namaste saidevo,

It seems that the Audarya Fellowship forum has been revived...

Yes, I think it has. Good for the community. A lot of members need that forum because of its nice focus. It has great following.

Eastern Mind
21 April 2011, 07:59 AM
Namaste,

Please let me know what you think of this new feature. Also, let me know if you feel that the forum has become slower. The new feature can cause performance problems i.e. slower page loads.

Enjoy.

Vannakkam Satay: This feature is on the Indiamike travel forum, and I certainly found it incredibly useful over there. So I would second the notion of it being a useful tool here too.

Aum Namasivaya