PDA

View Full Version : Any Pesach in Hinduism

Eric11235
24 April 2011, 10:53 AM
Vannakam,

Since this week is Pesach (passover) I'm curious if there are any Hindu analogues.

For those unaware, Passover is a celebration of the exodus from egypt led by moses. We celebrate by abstaining from leavened products.

I haven't searched but I am wondering if there any hindu equivalents. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Namaste

Eastern Mind
24 April 2011, 11:22 AM
Vannakkam Eric: None at all as far as I know, although it is common for Hindus to take on fasts and penances for all kinds of festivals and reasons. Most, it not all relationships between East and West are contrived by people wishing for such, and are really nonexistent in my opinion.

Aum Namasivaya

Eric11235
24 April 2011, 11:49 AM
Dig it

sanjaya
24 April 2011, 09:51 PM
As EM said, there are all kinds of reasons for people to fast. But my understanding is that most Jewish festivals also include fasting. Hindus have never been deported en masse from our country or lived as slaves, even during the colonial times. We never had to be "saved" or redeemed from anything. So I don't know that there's any analog to Passover.

Adhvagat
24 April 2011, 11:03 PM
Hindus have never been deported en masse from our country or lived as slaves, even during the colonial times. We never had to be "saved" or redeemed from anything.

Exactly, Bharat history is full of lessons of bravery and resistance.

Sādhaka
25 April 2011, 12:47 AM
As EM said, there are all kinds of reasons for people to fast. But my understanding is that most Jewish festivals also include fasting. Hindus have never been deported en masse from our country or lived as slaves, even during the colonial times. We never had to be "saved" or redeemed from anything. So I don't know that there's any analog to Passover.
Couldn't have said it better myself

OM