PDA

View Full Version : feeling hopeless

truthseeker96
27 April 2011, 11:33 AM
i absolutely hate the temple by me, it's not for me. and the next-closest one scares me because they have pictures on their facebook of soldiers and politicians. and the mandir that i feel like god want me to join is in california

what should i do? i feel horrible

Adhvagat
27 April 2011, 11:58 AM
Why do you hate the temple next to you?

There's a temple near here, ISKCON temple, that I don't like the energy very much, yeah, the deities are great, It's a Jagannatha, Baladeva, Subhadra temple, but it's usually the people that make it weird, so I don't go much. I usually go to one in another city, I even have a post of it on the ISKCON section.

But I understand your position, I think at your age a temple can be a great thing, to associate with other people and what not.

And the other one scares you? hehehehe

But having photos of soldiers and politicians is really such a hideous thing? Can't the people in charge have a political stance? Anyway...

Eastern Mind
27 April 2011, 04:17 PM
Vannakkam truthseeker: I went back and looked at your previous posts before you went to the temple and you were a bit frightened. I can assume now that you actually went. You did the right thing by going and checking it out, and I'm glad you did. Any learning is a positive thing. At least you learned that this temple is not for you.

We just HAVE to remember as beginners, that Hindu temples do vary a lot. Style, language, pujas, which deity is most present, how welcoming the people are to Americans, and a whole lot more.

In my city there are five temples, and 2 Sai centers (one for Sai Baba, and one for Shirdi Sai Baba) . I make it to my favorite one more than once a week. Of the other five, I try to go once a year, but in reality probably don't. One is quite far away, and the service hours vary, and they don't do a newsletter or have a web presence.

Obviously, I like some better than others.

On my wife and my recent pilgrimage. we went to 7, none of which I'd been to before. I loved 2 of them, really liked 3 of them, and was quite put off at the other two. (I would never say I hated them, but most likely I won't be going back.) All were of the South Indian style. I'm very used to entering new and different Hindu temples as I just find it all quite the adventure. If it was race that was your difficulty, I can say that of the 7 we visited, only once did I see another non-Indian, and she was a hired office manager, and I'm not sure if she was a devotee at all.

You are not alone at all. Many many Hindus in the west, originally from India, other Hindu countries like the Caribbean, or born in the west, have the same problem. Either there is no temple at all close by, or the one that is isn't of the style they are used to. This is precisely why so many are being built over here. One day soon before the end of your lifetime there will be 10 000 temples in North America, up a tad from the 300 or so now!

So hang in there. One day, if you do find one that suits you really well, you can move closer. That is if its really important to you then.

If you can be more specific about the 'problems' maybe we can discuss it.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Water
27 April 2011, 04:30 PM
There's one nearby temple that hasn't been mentioned! The one right under the heart, ya? :)

If you don't find a place you are comfortable - make a place. :)

But having photos of soldiers and politicians is really such a hideous thing?

It certainly can be....

Can't the people in charge have a political stance?

If that political stance is negatively effecting (hopeful?) devotees..... :(

Many heartfelt issues can have significant negative impacts on an environment and personally... I don't think they should be present at all. If they're *only* on some Facebook page... maybe I could understand, but it could be substantially negative regardless.

truthseeker96
27 April 2011, 09:46 PM
http://www.newbiharmandir.org/index.html

this is the sketchy temple, by the way

Onkara
27 April 2011, 10:53 PM

Namasté
In my opinion, it looks like someone is establishing a temple themselves (fair enough). It looks a bit too dark to my taste and would not get involved if I were you. :)

Adhvagat
27 April 2011, 11:00 PM
Namasté
In my opinion, it looks like someone is establishing a temple themselves (fair enough). It looks a bit too dark to my taste and would not get involved if I were you. :)

An older friend of mine ISKCON devotee lent me a cassete tape of a very heavy metal band named 'Age of Iron', their songs were all about doomsdays, degradation, Kalki and what not.

I guess the band members are opening a temple now... :p

Onkara
27 April 2011, 11:05 PM
removed. sorry. :)

nitinsharma
28 April 2011, 02:11 AM

Seriously speaking,I think you can go for it.

Eastern Mind
28 April 2011, 08:05 AM

Vannakkam truthseeker: Their website didn't really catch me either. On google maps there is one about 20 miles away from the other one, and i could find no other information on it. I wonder if it is another different one than this one. How far are you willing to travel, BTW?

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

c.smith
28 April 2011, 09:22 AM
Hari Om!

Sometimes going the distance makes all the difference. Perhaps not as far as you may have to travel, but I drive 30+ miles each way at least once a week to get to the area of town where temples are in abundance, including the mandir that I attend and contribute to on a regular basis. The other temple that I love is an additional 20 miles from the first, so it makes for half a days adventure if I want to see both. It IS truly worth it. If this is an option, please consider.

In terms of the site you listed, I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable there either but that's without even stepping foot in the place. Follow your instincts but know that wherever you are, god is there in many forms.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Water
28 April 2011, 10:02 AM
I was going to say something supportive and objective... hopefully....

But I was struck speechless by the water pump darshan.

sunyata07
29 April 2011, 11:13 AM
Namaste,

I think the others have been right in saying to follow your gut instinct on this one. Everyone will have their approaches to worship, and that's fine. I think what's most important is that you feel the vibrations in the temple are most conducive for your own frame of mind. If you're uncomfortable in any way with the idea of visiting this temple again, maybe you have those feelings for a reason.

On a side note, I visited the link you posted of that New Bihar mandir. It seems like they're still in the process of really getting it off the ground. I agree with Onkara, though, it does seem quite dark. I can see why you say you're a little frightened by it. By the way, has anybody noticed the weaponry they've included in the photos of worship? See the darshan tab on the website. Is that... normal?

Om namah Shivaya

Adhvagat
29 April 2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.newbiharmandir.org/100_0817.JPG

Hmmm... No.

Harinama
29 April 2011, 09:38 PM
O my Vishnu! :rolleyes:

I don't think I'll be going to that temple any time soon... :D

Ramakrishna
29 April 2011, 11:24 PM
Namaste all,

Yeah, they look very...interesting. To each his own, I guess. But I'm not sure how many people that method of worship works for.

Jai Sri Ram

Harinama
29 April 2011, 11:26 PM
Namaste all,

Yeah, they look very...interesting. To each his own, I guess. But I'm not sure how many people that method of worship works for.

Jai Sri Ram

I'm also wondering who indeed that guru may be... He certainly doesn't look happy! :p

Arjuni
29 April 2011, 11:52 PM
Namasté, all,

Regardless of whether a method of worship is effective or not, the leaders of any new temple or group need to build trust and confidence in the beginning. If I went out to meet these folks, as a new and likely nervous potential member, and was guided to an altar featuring a rifle, a noose, and other weaponry, I would feel an implied threat to my safety...!

As others have rightly pointed out, there's a dark, occult vibe to the site; I find it concerning, especially the references to Kalki as the "Killer Avatar."

Incidentally, they state they worship Kali and Kalki as well as the "Guardian Deities...whose worship is most prevalent in Tamil Nadu." What does this mean? Are they speaking of the directional guardians, or other beings?

Truthseeker: God is everywhere, though you're unfortunately finding that good temples are not. I know this is cold comfort when you very much want a special place for worship and a community for learning and sharing. However, if you focus your energies upon making your home shrine a vibrant holy site all your own - for these are the most personally meaningful and therefore beautiful shrines that any of us will ever visit - and also trusting that you will get to this temple in California by God's grace, it may help calm the terrible feelings you're having now.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

TheOne
30 April 2011, 04:42 AM
*ehem* That is....interessting to say the least.

Imo It seems like its a bunch of Westerners trying to mix western theistic satanism with Hare Krishna with Kali worship.

If nothing else I would have a LONG talk with the temple owner about what his intent is. And why does he want to establish a hare krishna worldwide theocracy.

Eastern Mind
30 April 2011, 07:15 AM
Vannakkam: I personally believe this sort of thing is what happens when a Christian tries to become Hindu without dropping the previous system. Confusion! The 'good/bad' duality and 'end of the world' are two key themes in Christianity. I'd like to bet that it started out with being disillusioned with Xianity. Sad.

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
30 April 2011, 09:51 PM
*ehem* That is....interessting to say the least.

Imo It seems like its a bunch of Westerners trying to mix western theistic satanism with Hare Krishna with Kali worship.

If nothing else I would have a LONG talk with the temple owner about what his intent is. And why does he want to establish a hare krishna worldwide theocracy.

Sounds like a good mix eh... Hahahaha

Talk to the temple owner and risk getting stabbed? Just run.

Ramakrishna
01 May 2011, 01:00 AM
Namaste Eastern Mindji,

Vannakkam: I personally believe this sort of thing is what happens when a Christian tries to become Hindu without dropping the previous system. Confusion! The 'good/bad' duality and 'end of the world' are two key themes in Christianity. I'd like to bet that it started out with being disillusioned with Xianity. Sad.

Aum Namasivaya

I completely agree. This is the type of influence that the Abrahamic religions can have on Sanatana Dharma. Just shows the importance of letting go of your previous beliefs when adopting a new belief system.

Jai Sri Ram

Water
01 May 2011, 01:16 AM
Although probably correct.... I wouldn't jump on the "OMG Abrahamic!" bandwagon just yet...

Many people in non-diverse areas without interaction can become overwhelmed with non-religious topics such as Anarchy, Nihilism, fear and depression.... Agnosticism removed by someone that appears to have a clearly higher purpose... Becoming wrapped in fables and myths from a new culture without understanding of the surrounding myth...

All of that could attribute to quite the misunderstanding without a single religious influence.

When I was growing up, I certainly didn't need a Bible to think that ripping holes in my jeans, Dungeons & Dragons, dying your hair black and jaywalking were "cool." :)