PDA

View Full Version : vipassana meditation

naras229
29 April 2011, 09:41 AM
I like to know the meaning of vipassana. From which sanskrit root word this word has its derivation. Also please enlighten me as to the main features of this meditation.

yajvan
29 April 2011, 05:01 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

This vipassana is also written vipaśyana meaning right knowledge , correct knowledge. One who follows right
knowledge can be called a vipaśyin.
Now for me and my orientation (non-buddhist) right knowledge is that which never changes, unwaivering.
This then is considered vimarśa - or knowledge , intelligence.
Yet on inspection of this word vimarśa, it is rooted in mṛś defined as to touch, to touch mentally. And what is
one touching? Being - one's own Self. It is intuitive perception of Being itself, some call this sākṣātkāra or
intuitive perception, realization.

Now if someone really wished to study this then I would recommend reading the pratyavbhijñāhṛdayaṁ āgama¹.
This word pratyabhijñāhṛdayaṁ means the re-recognition of ones Self - in this word hṛdya is used as ~heart~ or
the inner most , most dear, and hence the Self.

praṇām

1. pratyavbhijñāhṛdayaṁ is authored by kṣemarāja-ji śiṣya (student) of abhinavagupta

vipaśyin

Ekoham
09 August 2011, 11:45 AM
I like to know the meaning of vipassana. From which sanskrit root word this word has its derivation. Also please enlighten me as to the main features of this meditation.

Namaste Naras229,

Vipassana has a very special place in my heart as my first real experience in spirituality started with Vipassana.

Pls read the following..

What is Vipassana?

By Ven. Phramaha Bhatsakorn Piyobhaso

According to Buddhism, there are two burdens namely Gandha dhura; burden of study, task of learning and Vipassana dhura: the burden of insight development, task of meditation practice. In Buddhism there are two kinds of meditation; the first is Samatha or calmness meditation. Calmness meditation is the way to calm down the mind, it aims at developing concentration. By concentration we mean the unwavering state of mind in which attention is fixed on a single object. In the state of concentration, the mind is feed from five hindrances namely, sensuous desire, ill will, sloth and torpor, restlessness and anxiety and doubt. The elimination of the nindrances set the mind in concentration and this in turn enables one to develop wisdom. As the Buddha said;
When wisdom is supported by concentration,
Its fruit and advantage become great.

The second is Vipassana. Its pratice is concerned with Strengthening and sharpening mindfulness so much that it helps one to develop wisdom, which sees things as they really are. Having realized the truth, one achieves liberation and attains Nirvana.
Unlike calmness meditation, which is practiced in solitude, Vipassana meditation can be practiced in daily life, while one is talking, teaching, walking or working. The Buddha explained the method in detail as follows;
A monk, when walking, knows that he is Walking,
when standing, knows that he is Standing,
when sitting, knows that he is Sitting,
when lying down, knows that he is Lying.
In whatever way his body is disposed, he knows that is how it is.

The meaning of Vipassana
Vipassna is a Pali word which means seeing clearly, seeing specially or seeing through (Vi : clearly, specially, into, through + passana : seeing). Vipassana means introspection, intuitive wisdom, intuitive knowledge. Vipassana is often translated as Insight. It is the method of practice discovered by the Lord Buddha, which led to his enlightenment over 2,500 years ago. (Perhaps explain the Pali language)

More pls read here...http://www.mcu.ac.th/IBMC/html/vipassana.html

Pranam

Ekoham