PDA

View Full Version : Ardha-Hindu and changing one's name?

Harinama
29 April 2011, 11:41 PM
I am reading Subramuniyaswami's book again, "How to Become a (Better) Hindu" and I am enjoying the few pages insofar to help me make my mental conversion.

I am fascinated by Satguru Shivaya Subramuniyaswami's dedication towards Shaivism and Shaiva culture... however, the one thing about my uncertainly is his constant idea that one who does not make a severance of one's former religions, as well as change both last names and first names, and then have a Namakarana Samskara ceremony, one is only an Ardha-Hindu, a Half-Hindu.

As a student of Vaishnava Dharma, and a believer in it, I find this interesting... because although Vaishnavism traditionally still follows samskaras, they are largely downplayed, especially among the simpler, rural peoples.

When I think of the many Vaishnava saints and the amounts of Vaishnavas who have entered the religion through diksha (initiation) formally, and the general trend that last names carry a gotra and maybe even a caste (both of which are also downplayed in practical Vaishnavism), I can not see the necessity of changing my last name.

In this modern age where self-declaration and self-spirituality seems high, I find it difficult to accomodate comfortably with the concept of being an ardha-Vaishnava, because I do not have a guru, although I want to follow a particular lineage (Neo-Vaishnavism).

By Dipavali, I will have made a commitment and hope to change my first name legally (contrary to Gaudiya standards where one can only change one's name if bestowed diksha). However, I do not see a need to change my last name as a) many Indian Christians just adopt a Christian first name upon conversion, and not surname, b) I am afraid of caste or gotra consciousness, c) as a gay, I probably will take the last name of my future husband anyways if I do indeed get married.

Anyways, some thoughts! :rolleyes:

Krishna Bap!

Eastern Mind
30 April 2011, 07:09 AM
a Half-Hindu.

Certainly that is what the Christian missionaries do in India. The children attending a Christian school get that during the day, and Hinduism with parents at night. Is it a clear path?

Aum Namasivaya

Water
30 April 2011, 12:25 PM
I've read much of that book several times to compare and contrast. The impression that I get (and this is my opinion) is that the goal in the writing is to, without doubt, create an overwhelming, irreversible commitment. In a good way, of course.

I was a little thrown off at the extremist nature of Subramuniyaswami's instructions and what constitutes "half-Hindu."

Much of the material from the Himalayan Academy has a somewhat extremist feel. Again, in a good way. For example, there are often some rather discerning words in relation to Universalists and "Liberal Hindus." Much of it I feel I agree with, but admittedly I did get a little confused when first covering it.

I feel that the material is generally targeted toward converts and created in a way to help committed converts reach their goals without distractions along the way. There also seems to be some information crafted around propagating culture in the U.S., as well.

Will changing your name make you a "better Hindu" ? For many people, I think it can.

In many instances, I'm sure the commitment of "being a Hindu" would falter for most converts without this step. Why? Having your name changed is expensive in the U.S. - there is the hard work involved in getting it completed and having your friends and family accept it. If you decide you want to change it back because you've lost your faith.... it's the whole process all over again. Why do all that work because of a small speed-bump in the way you think you're progressing, a bad weekend, negative social pressure, etc? Put your chin up, press forward and be a Hindu.

At least, that's my interpretation.

A new name can also generate new awareness, especially in remote and non-diverse areas.

The instructions in that book definitely helps concrete the commitment in anyone interested in the material.

Eastern Mind
30 April 2011, 03:02 PM
Vannakkam Water et al: Yes it is kind of like putting your money where your mouth is. Still I wouldn't recommend it (changing one's name) for many. Not without a wait period of at least 5 years.

Aum Namasivaya

Harinama
01 May 2011, 09:00 AM
OM Tat Sat...

I'm convinced. :D

Even then, Sanatana Dharma is still a continuous journey. I have been a student of Gaudiya Vaishnava Dharma, and a practitioner for only three years, but it's the second longest run after being born and raised to be a strong Christian for sixteen years.

I guess even if I don't choose a sampradaya right away, I know for one that Vaishnavism has worked for me... besides reading a little bit from the Himalayan Academy, Shaivism as a religion, did not give me that same vibe, that same satisfaction as my being a Vaishnavite. I believe in Vaishnava Dharma, and I want to make that next step into that seriousness.

Even though most people nowadays are not so name-conscious, if Indian Christians are to change their names (and in Goa, their last names as well), then I desire to get rid of my first name of which I was christened with, to replace it with a name of the Lord found in the Shastras as Vishnu or Krishna.

My last name will be kept for my family's purposes, but I am eager to be proud and call myself a Hindu. >: )

Eastern Mind
01 May 2011, 09:27 AM
Vannakkam Harinama: At least here in Canada its a pretty easy process. Check with the department of vital Statistics (federal)

Aum Namasivaya

Harinama
01 May 2011, 09:34 AM
Now to think of a name... >__>

I have about twenty names, and one that I really like, but others don't seem to like.

It's hard to find a good Sanskrit name that is not so common, and does not sound exotic to the Western ear. :D

While in Shaivism, or at least the instructions given in my book, the emphasis would be to choose a name according to one's nakshatra-pada, in Vaishnavism, there's not really much of any guidance given besides it having to be a Vishnu-tattva name of some sort.

Arjuni
01 May 2011, 10:04 AM
Namasté, all.

Harinama, I share some of your concerns in the name-changing process, and I had to chuckle when I read hard to find a good Sanskrit name that...does not sound exotic to the Western ear. Bless my family, I love them to pieces, but I knew that if I were to pick a difficult, multisyllabic first name, I'd be answering, "HUH?!" and "Wait, HOW do you say that, again?" for years. (Fortunately, the first name I wish is easily nicknamed if they can't pronounce it.)
Prayer upon the matter might bring the perfect name your way - though if there's already one you prefer, perhaps it's the right one regardless of others' opinions?
I can understand you wanting to keep your last name in respect to your family, as well as for the other reasons you listed above.

I'm glad to see this topic, because I've wondered for quite a while: in the absence of a guru, husband, or other surname-bestowing factor, how on earth does one choose a Hindu last name? Is it even something that can be done in isolation (given the relation of surnames to caste/social factors as pointed out above)?

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
01 May 2011, 10:13 AM
Bless my family, I love them to pieces, but I knew that if I were to pick a difficult, multisyllabic first name, I'd be answering, "HUH?!" and "Wait, HOW do you say that, again?" for years. (Fortunately, the first name I wish is easily nicknamed if they can't pronounce it.)

Vannakkam: My father, may he rest in peace for a bit before returning, claimed he couldn't pronounce my monosyllable Hindu name. (Jai, rhymes with high) Such are the misconceptions. My previous name was harder to pronounce. My kid brother, who has a language genetic disability, still has trouble with it. Of my 4 siblings two use my Hindu name, and 2 just can't.

There are a ton of wonderful Hindu names out there, many that fit quite well in the west.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
01 May 2011, 10:54 AM
In hindu culture people can have many names, but a name is always something given to you. I don't think it's possible to pick your own name according Hindu tradtions.

Harinama
01 May 2011, 10:58 AM
Namasté, all.

Harinama, I share some of your concerns in the name-changing process, and I had to chuckle when I read hard to find a good Sanskrit name that...does not sound exotic to the Western ear. Bless my family, I love them to pieces, but I knew that if I were to pick a difficult, multisyllabic first name, I'd be answering, "HUH?!" and "Wait, HOW do you say that, again?" for years. (Fortunately, the first name I wish is easily nicknamed if they can't pronounce it.)
Prayer upon the matter might bring the perfect name your way - though if there's already one you prefer, perhaps it's the right one regardless of others' opinions?
I can understand you wanting to keep your last name in respect to your family, as well as for the other reasons you listed above.

Vanamali. :) Sanskrit names tend to either be quite masculine, or quite feminine. Mahavira and Baladeva were there, as well as Murali (which ends up blending into an ugly "Murlee"). Names like Shyamasundara could be shortened as Shyama... but I know two or three Shyams that I don't think I need to be another one.

Sundara is nice.

Madhusudana was a good choice... and one can nickname me as 'Madhu'. But it didn't ring with me as much.

With Vanamali, one could call me Van... but it defeats the purpose of a theophoric name. :P

I mean, growing up in Surrey, we have an influx of Wahid, Foziyah, and Najibah, as well as Sukhpreet, Jaswinder, and Hardeep.

So my name would sound as strange to the ear as the rest of them. XD

But my family is Filipino, and Filipino culture has plenty of floral names like Florentino, Ana-Maria, Nepomucena, and whatnot.

I'm glad to see this topic, because I've wondered for quite a while: in the absence of a guru, husband, or other surname-bestowing factor, how on earth does one choose a Hindu last name? Is it even something that can be done in isolation (given the relation of surnames to caste/social factors as pointed out above)?

Is it necessary to have a Hindu last name even, especially when one will take one's husband's last name anyways, or when last names are full of gotra or caste? I know that the surname Das was done specifically against this, but with my Vaishnava friends, it would cause confusion and people would assume that I've taken diksha (initiation). XD

Harinama
01 May 2011, 11:11 AM
In hindu culture people can have many names, but a name is always something given to you. I don't think it's possible to pick your own name according Hindu tradtions.

In the Vaishnava tradition, a name is generally given through diksha. However, at this moment, it will be a long while for me to follow the requirements of diksha. For example, what Vaishnava guru will accept me for being gay and wanting to have a good husband?

Furthermore, diksha requires complete and utter practice in sadhana, and that is something difficult for me in the West. As much as I can chant so many rounds of the Yuga-mantra, avoid eating meat, fish, eggs, onions and garlic and cook prasadam at home, listen to only Vaishnava bhajanas and take association, my desire to be married is strong.

So even then, it is better to adopt Hinduism inasmuch as one's name shows one's seriousness. In many parts of India, converts into Islam and Christianity choose to change their names to reflect on their conversion. It can be the same with those of us who are seeking to practice this Dharma, and do not have a guru.

At least in Subramuniyaswami's style, he gives lots of suggestions in choosing a name, according to nakshatra-pada, and then having it recognised through a Nama-karana samskara.

"4. ADOPTING A HINDU NAME

The devotee then proceeds to have a legal change of name. The new name is placed on his or her passport, driver's license and all important financial and legal instruments, including credit cards, library cards and bank accounts. Even before formal entrance to Hinduism, devotees are encouraged to begin using their Hindu names at all times."

-- Chapter 7: Dharmantarasya Shatpadi, Six Steps Toward Conversion, from "How To Become a Hindu" by Satguru Shivaya Subramuniyaswami

Harinama
01 May 2011, 11:19 AM
I don't know why my post is repeating itself... >__>

Sahasranama
01 May 2011, 12:12 PM
Formal names are given by the parents, acharya or a priest/astrologer. Informal names can be given by friends, family, students etc. Giving yourself a name is like singing your own praise. Besides, you can never be ardha-Hindu because of your name. You are Hindu in your heart, not in your name. You can find a Hindu priest to give you a name based on your natal chart and he can do your namakaran sanskara, but you don't need to change your family name. You don't need to legalise this name either, since namakarana sanskara requires no validation from the legal department. You may even keep this name a secret and only use it during rituals.

Harinama
01 May 2011, 05:18 PM
From what I've known in Vaishnava Dharma, I can only take diksha from a particular sampradaya, and I can not find any acharya except one from the Hamsa sampradaya of Sri Nimbaditya, who is in India. And I do not think I am ready for diksha right now anyways. Many Hindus do not take diksha...

Perhaps I can ask my Shaiva friend to give me a name...

That being said, also I want to be proud that I am a Vaishnavite Hindu, and not hide it. After reading Subramuniyaswami's book and just finishing it now, I feel that he has some right in the matter.

When Vaishnava acharyas give diksha, at least in the Gaudiya line, they pay absolutely no attention to any astrology chart. Even the guru from Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math has said to put astrology away, since the Lord can influence our destinies.

My name is Kevin, and I was christened with this name... and I need to change it right away because I no longer wish to associate myself with Christian beliefs that may have been karmically imbedded in that name.

So if you know any Vaishnava acharyas who are okay with me desiring to be in a same-sex marriage and desiring diksha, that would be great! :)

It's one thing for me to tell myself that I am a Hindu at heart... but if it also is not reflected in my sadhana, in my practice in being virtuous, etc. then that internal feeling can not be validated. If I say that I am a Hindu at heart, and I eat beef, would that not conflict with how people look at me and how dedicated I am?

Eastern Mind
01 May 2011, 05:30 PM
Vannakkam: We have a young man at our temple who simply goes by Natarajan, but his legal name is Greg _____. I don't know his last name. I just call him Natarajan like everyone else. This works fine for him.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
01 May 2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know whether namakarana can be called deeksha. Deeksha is when you get mantra upadesha. You can do namakarana with a pandit first and get deeksha later. The only time when your name changes with deeksha is when you take sannyasa, because you leave all your old stuff behind including your name. Most bhakti schools indeed don't put much importance on basing life around jyotish, but basic astrology is used in all Hindu schools for obtaining correct muhurta etc. If you really want to get rid of your "christian" name, I won't stop you. It may be helpful in your path. I think it's a good thing that you want to disassociate from your Christian background, so that you don't bring any bagage into Hinduism.

Arjuni
31 August 2011, 07:51 PM
Namasté, all,

I'm reviving this thread to share a very nice resource that I found some months ago and forgot to mention to the forum.

This book, Thought-Provoking Hindu Names (http://books.google.ca/books?id=0vNtDHqp5T4C&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=thought+provoking+hindu+names&source=bl&ots=TztHizfHh1&sig=fC5QftjeusCiHuN0081u7K20op4&hl=en&ei=iNVeTvnDNcfH0AGguJzQAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false), is really extensive, with more names and ideas than any website or other book I've yet found. A lot of it is available via that GoogleBooks link, and it might be a worthwhile purchase or library loan for anyone wishing to find a meaningful first name. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Daniellasaur
12 September 2011, 02:22 AM
Hello, I have that same book. I wish to change my name, but as a woman I am not sure about last name changing? Should I just leave it until I get a husband? Or since it is going to change someday anyways, should I make it something meaningful to me?
A first name I really connect with is Shanti. Especially since I have panic disorder, and so many times in my life I have wished for just one thing: peace, peace, peace. It just feels "me".
I would love to hear your thoughts, and I would like to change my name before college so it doesn't get confusing for people who learn me by one name and then must relearn me as another. As for the possibility, although in my mind very unlikely, of me losing my faith, I would still keep my name as Shanti as it is universal in nature, fitting me no matter what my faith.
As for last names, please give your opinion. Personally I would love to have a fully Hindu name and would be honored and proud. My only reservations are what my family would think. I know many would be accepting of it, especially my uncle. Plus, as a woman, it is not a duty of mine to carry on the name, and I believe that if it is acceptable to change your name on marriage to a person, it should also be understood when I change my name upon "marriage" of a faith.
Namaste!

Eastern Mind
13 September 2011, 09:44 AM
Hello, I have that same book. I wish to change my name, but as a woman I am not sure about last name changing? Should I just leave it until I get a husband? Or since it is going to change someday anyways, should I make it something meaningful to me?
A first name I really connect with is Shanti. Especially since I have panic disorder, and so many times in my life I have wished for just one thing: peace, peace, peace. It just feels "me".
I would love to hear your thoughts, and I would like to change my name before college so it doesn't get confusing for people who learn me by one name and then must relearn me as another. As for the possibility, although in my mind very unlikely, of me losing my faith, I would still keep my name as Shanti as it is universal in nature, fitting me no matter what my faith.
As for last names, please give your opinion. Personally I would love to have a fully Hindu name and would be honored and proud. My only reservations are what my family would think. I know many would be accepting of it, especially my uncle. Plus, as a woman, it is not a duty of mine to carry on the name, and I believe that if it is acceptable to change your name on marriage to a person, it should also be understood when I change my name upon "marriage" of a faith.
Namaste!

Vannakkam Danielle:

Personally, I think if you've decided to do it, it should be both names. Since you're 18, and the age of marriage is generally going up, it could be a few years. You're generally lucky to have such a supportive family. Even if they have minor objections now, it sounds like they'll get used to it quickly. (3 or 4 years)

It can be confusing in mid year if you change your name. I changed mine as a teacher in the middle of a term. The children were far more accepting than the staff, which really wasn't surprising as they knew and respected me better as a person.

It certainly appears you have Ganesha on side guiding you along. He's not called 'Lord of Obstacles' for nothing. Best wishes with it.

Aum Namasivaya

R Gitananda
17 September 2011, 02:23 PM
Namaste

Thank you for sharing your interesting post. What I find most interesting is what
you seem mention almost in passing - the idea of gay marriage within Hinduism.
Are there priests doing this now or do you simply plan on having a secular wedding?

Thanks.

Aum Shanti

I am reading Subramuniyaswami's book again, "How to Become a (Better) Hindu" and I am enjoying the few pages insofar to help me make my mental conversion.

I am fascinated by Satguru Shivaya Subramuniyaswami's dedication towards Shaivism and Shaiva culture... however, the one thing about my uncertainly is his constant idea that one who does not make a severance of one's former religions, as well as change both last names and first names, and then have a Namakarana Samskara ceremony, one is only an Ardha-Hindu, a Half-Hindu.

As a student of Vaishnava Dharma, and a believer in it, I find this interesting... because although Vaishnavism traditionally still follows samskaras, they are largely downplayed, especially among the simpler, rural peoples.

When I think of the many Vaishnava saints and the amounts of Vaishnavas who have entered the religion through diksha (initiation) formally, and the general trend that last names carry a gotra and maybe even a caste (both of which are also downplayed in practical Vaishnavism), I can not see the necessity of changing my last name.

In this modern age where self-declaration and self-spirituality seems high, I find it difficult to accomodate comfortably with the concept of being an ardha-Vaishnava, because I do not have a guru, although I want to follow a particular lineage (Neo-Vaishnavism).

By Dipavali, I will have made a commitment and hope to change my first name legally (contrary to Gaudiya standards where one can only change one's name if bestowed diksha). However, I do not see a need to change my last name as a) many Indian Christians just adopt a Christian first name upon conversion, and not surname, b) I am afraid of caste or gotra consciousness, c) as a gay, I probably will take the last name of my future husband anyways if I do indeed get married.

Anyways, some thoughts! :rolleyes:

Krishna Bap!

OM GUY
30 September 2011, 11:35 PM
Not to offend anyone, as you surely can change your name if you want to, but will it mean that you are a diffent person inside?

I see many people are interested in fashion. I saw on TV today, some young criminals in court before a judge. They were all dressed and combed up, real pretty, ....probably much different than they looked when they were face-planted on the pavement, under arrest for car-jacking someone's property. I guess they wanted the judge and the jury to see how sweet and innocent they are.

You aren't on the earth to impress me with your clothes nor your name, you are here to love God and to serve the devotees of God, in my humble opinion. So, between you and God, you are naked anyway.

Anyone smart enough to know you, will see you by your actions and will see clear to the center of your being anyway, name or no name. :)

Eastern Mind
01 October 2011, 05:47 PM
Not to offend anyone, as you surely can change your name if you want to, but will it mean that you are a diffent person inside?

Vannakkam OM GUY: There is no need to change one's name, but for those of us (like me) who have done it, it has proved beneficial. So it is very much an individual choice. I changed my name to reflect my bugeoning belief system called Hinduism. it seemed a logical step (to me). But again, there is no need. I wouldn't argue either way.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
01 October 2011, 06:17 PM
Namasté,

The use of a different name, as a Hindu convert, may be of great benefit and serve a higher purpose than social or egotistical satisfaction.

A name based upon one's nakṣatra, or at least based upon beneficial factors in one's astrological chart, is auspicious because its repetition reinforces positive energies. In other words, a spiritual aspirant may be subtly helped in his/her goal by being widely known, and addressed, with sounds that resonate favourably for him/her.

It is Yajvan who has taught this lesson on this forum, and while I was not able to find his original posts, I did locate this thread (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6254), briefly highlighting how the aid of a skillful jyotiṣa may assist this choice.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.