PDA

View Full Version : Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

adevotee108
03 May 2011, 04:46 PM
Namaste All,

I am writing to ask whether there are followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi on this forum?
I am interested in the advaita view and I hae just begin to study the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.
I would like this thread to be a place where His teachings can be discussed so that we can learn more about it.

Eastern Mind
03 May 2011, 06:13 PM
Vannakkam adevotee: I don't think there are many if any here who follow his teachingd directly. Some of us have been to Tiruvanamalai and arunaleshwara temple though. http://richardarunachala.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/visiting-arunachaleswara-temple-in-tiruvannamalai/

His vibration sort of permeates the place.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
04 May 2011, 01:27 AM
Namaste All,

I am writing to ask whether there are followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi on this forum?
I am interested in the advaita view and I hae just begin to study the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.
I would like this thread to be a place where His teachings can be discussed so that we can learn more about it.

Sri Ramana Maharishi was an Advaita teacher and therefore all Advaitins revere him & that includes me. I have read books on his teachings & I am influenced by his teachings. Atanu, who is not visting these forums off late, was very much influenced by his teachings.

However, as EM pointed out, I doubt if there is anyone who is a follower in "disciple" sense here on this forum.

OM

Sādhaka
04 May 2011, 03:17 AM
Namaste,
What devotee said. One of the greatest scholars of modern times he is.

OM

Eastern Mind
04 May 2011, 06:37 AM
Sri Ramana Maharishi was an Advaita teacher and therefore all Advaitins revere him & that includes me. I have read books on his teachings & I am influenced by his teachings. Atanu, who is not visting these forums off late, was very much influenced by his teachings.

However, as EM pointed out, I doubt if there is anyone who is a follower in "disciple" sense here on this forum.

OM

Vannakkam: As always, Devotee has astute words. I would venture even further. There is a wide variance of what constitutes a 'follower' . Its been some time now since Ramana's mahasamadhi, and as far as I know, he didn't name a successor.

I don't think He even held formal classes or formed much of an institution or anything like that. My understanding is that he spoke truths from direct advaitic cognition, and others gathered around and recorded some of it. I'm really not all that sure. I do believe there is an ashram dedicated to His teachings. Spending time there would constitute some seriousness.

When an individual declares, "I'm a follower of ______." , we should take it with a grain of salt unless we hear more details. In a strict sense, the teacher must also agree to this relationship.

Even given that, within the followers who have been accepted by Guru, there are variances. Some are renunciate monks who may spend daily time with Guru, whilst others may go visit once a year. So these ideas of close follower, sishya, devotee, beginning student, all come up.

The other extreme is a universalist or some such who claims to be a follower of every religion, Guru etc. This is fine too. Not my cup of tea, but hey if it works for someone, fine.

Regardless of all these vague definitions, the real key is whether of not anyone is putting the teachings into practice in daily lives.

Aum Namasivaya

adevotee108
04 May 2011, 03:56 PM
Namaste!

Thank you all for your replies so far.

By the word "follower" now I am referring to someone who reads his books and practices the methods taught by him, which is self-inquery - 'Who Am I?' (Nan Yar?).

I know there aren't so called organizations connected to his name, nor did he appoint anyone as his "successor" etc.

TheOne
04 May 2011, 04:20 PM
I consider myself to be a sharer in his philosophy I wouldn't call myself a "follower" of him because that implies dedication a person.

Eastern Mind
04 May 2011, 06:14 PM
Namaste!

Thank you all for your replies so far.

By the word "follower" now I am referring to someone who reads his books and practices the methods taught by him, which is self-inquery - 'Who Am I?' (Nan Yar?).

I know there aren't so called organizations connected to his name, nor did he appoint anyone as his "successor" etc.

Vannakkam: Certainly a very wise choice of study. Best wishes on it.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
04 May 2011, 07:38 PM
Namaste Adevotee108,

As others have said, I follow Sri Ramana's teaching's but I am not a "disciple" of him. He was a great saint.

Jai Sri Ram

adevotee108
06 May 2011, 01:07 AM
Namaste,

You are right! But somehow I had to express a kind of connection to him and his teaching...but I did not mean the word "follower" in this case as someone who exclusively follow him. I agree with your statement. Thanks.

I consider myself to be a sharer in his philosophy I wouldn't call myself a "follower" of him because that implies dedication a person.

quadrant6
11 May 2011, 09:59 PM
I was happy to find this thread today :)

I understand self enquiry was a key practice taught by Ramana Maharshi.

If I find it difficult to practice self enquiry throughout the day, is it advisable for me to begin with a simple, seated form of meditation (focusing on breath) daily so that I can build up what I believe he called a single-pointedness of mind?

I remember seeing in a book his description of 3 levels for a beginner - firstly awareness on breath, then on mind (mindfulness), then self enquiry ?

adevotee108
14 May 2011, 03:58 PM
I was happy to find this thread today :)

I understand self enquiry was a key practice taught by Ramana Maharshi.

If I find it difficult to practice self enquiry throughout the day, is it advisable for me to begin with a simple, seated form of meditation (focusing on breath) daily so that I can build up what I believe he called a single-pointedness of mind?

I remember seeing in a book his description of 3 levels for a beginner - firstly awareness on breath, then on mind (mindfulness), then self enquiry ?

Namaste,
Yes, he taught self enquiry in the first place. But at the same time he said the mind must be calmed down... and it can be done with other tools such as breath control, japa etc that make the mind calm enough for practicing self enquiry.
As for me, I do japa, which results in one pointedness of the mind and then I can practice self inquery. At least, this is what works for me. :)

kallol
15 June 2011, 05:34 AM
My grandfather was a follower of Sri Ramana Maharshi. I went there once. I far as I know his experience through the experince of death led to the enlightenment and the knowledge ocean.

Love and best wishes

Spiritualseeker
12 September 2011, 03:19 PM
Namaste,

I have been really interested in the practice of self inquiry lately. I listen to Papaji and Mooji a lot. I also read questions and answers with Ramana. I have been mainly devoted to self inquiry lately with a little bit of mantras.

I am glad you are interested in this. Check out Mooji

Adhvagat
12 September 2011, 03:57 PM
Spiritualseeker, can you tell me in a simple manner how exactly the process of self inquiry works?

Spiritualseeker
12 September 2011, 05:10 PM
Namaste,

Really it is best to read what Ramana said and what Papaji and Mooji say. They are more direct and speak from Reality whereas I can only speak from concepts and even this is illusory. Self inquiry is really a non practice. It is just being yourself. Asking "Who am I". Not as an intellectual practice, but sort of as a Zen Koan to transcend concepts and even this concept is transcended. One can say "Where is the I?" "What is the Self?" The question is more important than the answer. It can be done with anything. Who recites Om Namah Shivaya? Where is the Buddha? Who is the Seeker? You do not repeat it like a mantra. Its just a samurai sword cutting through concepts and reveals direct experience. Sorry this is the best I can say, but best to hear from the realized masters and the Upanishads.

Om Namah Shivaya

devotee
12 September 2011, 10:57 PM
Spiritualseeker, can you tell me in a simple manner how exactly the process of self inquiry works?

SS, has already given you correct advice. Advancing it a little further :

Sit down in a meditational posture so that you have no bodily discomfort. Feel presence of your body and ask yourself if the body is "you" ? You will find that you are not the body ... there is something which is aware of this body and therefore, you can't be the body itself. Meditate on each organ and question if that is "you" ... you would find a negative answer. Now slowly you go into your head or heart ... keep asking who are "you" ? Who is sitting there inside & asking this question, "Who am I ?" ? The thought of "Who am I" must arise from "you" ... as it is the questioner we are seeking. So, look out where from this question arises ?

You have to merge yourself into this completely ... all thoughts ... everything which is not "I" should be abandoned so that you hold on to only one aim of seeking the source of the question, "Who Am I ?" and no other thought. This will lead you to the point where you no longer identify with anything of this body and mind. ... and finally it would take you to the realisation of Self ... from where this question, "Who Am I" arises. The question is like the scent of the flower ... if you follow the scent single pointedly you would reach the flower.

This is what Ramana Maharishi says.

OM

Eastern Mind
13 September 2011, 07:18 AM
Vannakkam: My personal view is that self-inquiry is where we all end up anyway. A kid doesn't believe his mother's word 'Hot' until he figures it out from a painful experience. Direct cognition.

We do learn to think the Teacher is correct if HeShe continues to say things that continue to be in line with our own experience. The mind begins to think, "That man speaks the truth." Then we really start to listen, but the advice then is one of self inquiry.

I can think of two quotes off-hand from my own Guru that fit this:
- "Lean on your own spine." and "Why ask me?"

The books will point you in that direction, but after so many books, its time to be alone.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
13 September 2011, 12:43 PM
The books will point you in that direction, but after so many books, its time to be alone.

How true!

kannada
21 September 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi Folks,

I have been reading Ramana's works for the past 25 years. I remember one of his statements being that...

"Silence is the highest teaching. The teachings are for those who do not understand this silence".

Anyone who loses themselves in this silence is a follower of Bhagavan...

All the best
k

arunadasi
29 October 2011, 10:58 AM
Namaste!
I consider myself a devotee of Ramana Maharshi, and have followed his teachings for the last 37 years. I have stayed at the Ashram in Tiruvannamalai several times in that time; it seems like home to me. I practice Self Enquiry and I'll be happy to come here to share some of what I;ve learned as time goes by. The most imprtant thing is that it is not an intellectual exersize and it's not good to talk too much about it; the main thing is practice, and that is always in silence.

Ramana Mahashi changed my life. Even though I never saw him in the flesh there is no doubt that he is as real a Guru as any "living" one, his guidance just as strong.

brahman
01 November 2011, 07:11 AM
Sri. Narayana Guru Visits Sri. Ramanasharam(1916)

In September 1916, Madras High Court Chief Justice Sadasivayyar, and Justice Krishnan invited the Guru to Madras. Responding to the invitation he visited Madras and the Ashramam at Kancheepuram. The Sree Narayana Satsanga Samithi at Chintadripet was started on this occasion.

Visit to Ramanashram

On his return trip to Kerala, the Guru visited Sri. Ramana Maharshi at Thiruvannamalai. In 1916, while the Guru was relaxing after the inauguration of Sree Narayana Sevashram at Kancheepuram, he was invited to Ramanashram at Thiruvannamalai by the disciples of Sree Ramana Maharshi. The Guru’s disciples also had wished to visit Ramanashram. Responding to the invitation, the Guru visited Ramanashram, along with disciples like Achyuthananada Swamy and Vidyananda Swamy. The famous poem Nirvruthi Panchakam was written by the Guru on this occasion (The author has seen the five stanzas of this poem, in the record note book kept at Ramanashram)

The well known philosophical poem Darsanamaala (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4782)was composed during this period, on request by the disciples like Vidyananda Swamy etc. The Guru used to dictate the stanzas and Vidyananda Swamy travelling beside the Guru, had written them down on the spot. The second part of Darsanamaala “Apavaadadarsanam”, was composed while they were at Ramanashram. It is known that this was done while the Guru was taking rest under a Jamba tree in Ramanashram, with Vidyananda Swamy beside him to write them down. Mahakavi Kumaran Asan had written an interpretation to Apavaada Darsanam, under the title “Manana Maala Thatparyam”. This has been published.

Mangalananda Swamy, from Sivagiri, had once asked Ramana Mahrshi directly about this visit.

The Maharshi had said “All that time he had nothing to tell me. He knows everything. He knows everything”. Mangalananda Swamy remembers that, Ramana Maharshi had repeated this phrase, “he knows every thing” a number of times during their conversation.

Source (http://www.snms.in/index.php?id=122)

rkpande
02 November 2011, 01:25 AM
@ devotee
"and finally it would take you to the realisation of Self ... "

I have seen advaitain use this based on Mandukya Up.

I fail to understand 'you and self'. Trying to find self through self.

Its like seeing your body without the mirror.
I dont mean to derail the thread.
namaste

devotee
02 November 2011, 09:07 AM
@ devotee
"and finally it would take you to the realisation of Self ... "

I have seen advaitain use this based on Mandukya Up.

I fail to understand 'you and self'. Trying to find self through self.

Its like seeing your body without the mirror.
I dont mean to derail the thread.
namaste

Namaste Pande ji,

In the quoted post "you" is the individual self & Self is the Cosmic One without a second. This "self"/"you" is a wave in the ocean of Consciousness which has no real existence ... however, it behaves as if it has its unique separate identity. This delusion creates this body, mind and the SamsAra. Once this delusion is removed, Self realisation occurs, the realisation of its omnipresence, omnipotent and freedom from all imagined bondages. The exact words are not available to describe it ... as it is beyond all mental concepts. So, no use of words can fully satisfy you.

OM