PDA

View Full Version : Shastra quotes!

Harinama
04 May 2011, 08:35 AM
I think it is important to read shastra every day as part of one's healthy sadhana.

So post a quote (maybe one a day) from the shastras - they can be anything from the Vedas, the Puranas, the Upanishads, the Gita, etc. even words from a guru or saint can be considered shastra! Let's promote some Vedic thought and literacy!

Harinama
04 May 2011, 08:40 AM
"Since Your Lordship is indirectly the greatest well-wisher of us demons,
You act for our best welfare by posing as if our enemy.
Because demons like us always aspire for a position of false prestige,
by chastising us You give us the eyes by which to see the right path."

-- Bali Maharaja (Srimad-Bhagavatam 8.22.5)

Ramakrishna
04 May 2011, 05:58 PM
Namaste,

The verse in my signature is probably my favorite from the Gita.

Jai Sri Ram

Harinama
04 May 2011, 10:42 PM
Beautiful!! :)

"One who is subject to death cannot measure the glories of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Trivikrama, Lord Vishnu, any more than he can count the number of atoms on the entire planet earth. No one, whether born already or destined to take birth, is able to do this. This has been sung by the great sage Vasishtha."

-- Srimad Bhagavatam 8.23.30

smaranam
05 May 2011, 06:15 AM
KrushNa Janma - Birth of Lord KrushNa, Shrimad Bhagvatam Canto 10 Chapter 2

SB 10.2.19: Devakī then kept within herself the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the cause of all causes, the foundation of the entire cosmos, but because she was under arrest in the house of Kaḿsa, she was like the flames of a fire covered by the walls of a pot, or like a person who has knowledge but cannot distribute it to the world for the benefit of human society.

SB 10.2.26: The Devas prayed: O Lord, You never deviate from Your vow, which is always perfect because whatever You decide is perfectly correct and cannot be stopped by anyone. Being present in the three phases of cosmic manifestation — creation, maintenance and annihilation — You are the Supreme Truth. Indeed, unless one is completely truthful, one cannot achieve Your favor, which therefore cannot be achieved by hypocrites. You are the active principle, the real truth, in all the ingredients of creation, and therefore you are known as antaryāmī, the inner force. You are equal to everyone, and Your instructions apply for everyone, for all time. You are the beginning of all truth. Therefore, offering our obeisances, we surrender unto You. Kindly give us protection.

Harinama
06 May 2011, 10:24 AM
"O my Lord, master of creation, maintenance and annihilation, O best of enjoyers, Lord Vishnu, You are the leader and destination of surrendered devotees like us. Therefore let me offer my respectful obeisances unto You."

-- Srimad-Bhagavatam 8.24.28

Harinama
09 May 2011, 01:57 AM
"Thereafter, Prishadhra gained relief from all responsibilities, became peaceful in mind, and established control over all his senses. Being unaffected by material conditions, being pleased with whatever was available by the grace of the Lord to maintain body and soul together, and being equal toward everyone, he gave full attention to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Vasudeva, who is the transcendental Supersoul, free from material contamination. Thus Prishadhra, fully satisfied in pure knowledge, always keeping his mind on the Supreme Personality of Godhead, achieved pure devotional service to the Lord and began traveling all over the world, without affection for material activities, as if he were deaf, dumb and blind."

-- Srimad-Bhagavatam

Harinama
10 May 2011, 03:05 AM
"Maharaja Ambarisha always engaged his mind in meditating upon the lotus feet of Krishna, his words in describing the glories of the Lord, his hands in cleansing the Lord's temple, and his ears in hearing the words spoken by Krishna or about Krishna. He engaged his eyes in seeing the Deity of Krishna, Krishna's temples and Krishna's places like Mathura and Vrindavana, he engaged his sense of touch in touching the bodies of the Lord's devotees, he engaged his sense of smell in smelling the fragrance of tulasi offered to the Lord, and he engaged his tongue in tasting the Lord's prasada. He engaged his legs in walking to the holy places and temples of the Lord, his head in bowing down before the Lord, and all his desires in serving the Lord, twenty-four hours a day. Indeed, Maharaja Ambarisha never desired anything for his own sense gratification. He engaged all his senses in devotional service, in various engagements related to the Lord. This is the way to increase attachment for the Lord and be completely free from all material desires."

-- Srimad-Bhagavatam 9.4.20