PDA

View Full Version : The Mahabharata and the Abrahamic Bible

Eric11235
06 May 2011, 12:52 PM
Vannakam,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to put this, it might be better in the abrahamic religions section, but I would like to say that it is my belief the mahabharata and the bible are similar documents, albeit in both obvious and subtle manners.

More obviously, they are both itihasas and practical books. The various philosophical and ritualistic discourses in the mahabharata serve as the practical, and books such as the book of numbers and leviticus or various other non-pentateuchal books have similar rituals and practices.

They both tell a larger story, with philosophy interspersed, the pentateuch is the history of the israelites, the synoptic gospels the history of Jesus christ.
the mahabharata the history of the race of Kuru

it could be said that in fact that the entire canon of Judaism/Christianity bear similarity to the Hindu collection albeit if only at the face value that they are both a collection of a variety of works, just the bible has been collected into one volume.

both involve creation stories, various stories of the beginning times and progress through the various ages, although I don't recall a flood in the Mahabharata.

The only big difference I find between the two is the narrative of the Mahabharata being one and the Bible being many.

I just find this interesting, if anyone has any insights, feel free to share.

Namaste

Sahasranama
06 May 2011, 01:24 PM
A young child may see two books laying on a table and think that these are just two books, without being able to understand what is written in it. But the father, who is able to read, knows that one book has the bedtime stories for the child and the other book is his manual on medicine. Only someone who has limited information about either will think that both are similar.

Eric11235
06 May 2011, 03:13 PM
that is a tad harsh, but point taken,

Out of curiosity, have you read the abrahamic bible?

Friend from the West
06 May 2011, 07:51 PM
Namaste Eric,

First off Eric, thanks to you for giving me a quick opportunity of allowing me consider some things that others could consider elementary but allowed my questioning mind a chance to articulate these things, even if at the elemenatary level. I think at a extremely high level the the mahabharata and the bible could be considered as similar documents, but not in a subtle manner. I do not see methods offered in the "bible", as a friend on this forum recently explained, the difference between saguna and nirguna worship/recognition are absent, and through the mahabharata, I do not fear God. I only love God. In short, with a few exceptions such as the Sermon on the Mount, I do not see the similarities.
Peace,
Rich

Vannakam,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to put this, it might be better in the abrahamic religions section, but I would like to say that it is my belief the mahabharata and the bible are similar documents, albeit in both obvious and subtle manners.

More obviously, they are both itihasas and practical books. The various philosophical and ritualistic discourses in the mahabharata serve as the practical, and books such as the book of numbers and leviticus or various other non-pentateuchal books have similar rituals and practices.

They both tell a larger story, with philosophy interspersed, the pentateuch is the history of the israelites, the synoptic gospels the history of Jesus christ.

it could be said that in fact that the entire canon of Judaism/Christianity bear similarity to the Hindu collection albeit if only at the face value that they are both a collection of a variety of works, just the bible has been collected into one volume.

both involve creation stories, various stories of the beginning times and progress through the various ages, although I don't recall a flood in the Mahabharata.

The only big difference I find between the two is the narrative of the Mahabharata being one and the Bible being many.

Namaste

yajvan
06 May 2011, 08:04 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

A young child may see two books laying on a table and think that these are just two books, without being able to understand what is written in it. But the father, who is able to read, knows that one book has the bedtime stories for the child and the other book is his manual on medicine.

I think your assessment is reasonable. what is so attractive ( to me) about the mahābhārata is its depth and breath.

"whatever is here ( in the mahābhārata) is found elsewhere. But whatever is not here (in the mahābhārata) is nowhere else."

I found no end to its knowledge.

praṇām

Sahasranama
06 May 2011, 09:24 PM
I was thinking about that too.

There's is a quote in the skanda purana which says, the whole of the vedas have 3 meanings (yAska names them as adhiyAjnika, adhidaivaka, adhyAtmika), the mahAbhArata has 10 meanings and the vishnu sahasranAma (http://youtu.be/XIrij5Bag0Y) (which is included in the mahAbhArata) has a hundred meanings (per name).

Kumar_Das
07 May 2011, 02:21 AM
Vannakam,

Namaste

Just when I thought it couldnt get any more worse. Seems like its sunk to the lowest point...

:Roll:

This is the Maha Arabia story, ah ha, Maha Arabia story, God took shape in the human form in the middle of the Arabian desert, Dharma always prevails in this land of noble natured Semitic bandits, descendants of Prophets who can trace their lineage long back, not thieves and crooks who raid caravans but of high birth they certainly are, not obsessed with material things and not possessive of their treasures and womenfolk out of their own insecurities but manly and virile they are known to be, Maha Arabia story

God decided to teach all of humanity and creatures of earth by selecting his tale to unfold in the lands which are the epitome of human character and civilization, the Arabian Gulf.

Maha Arabia, oh ho, Maha Arabia, Maha Arabia! home of men with high morality and experts in the sciences of self-realization, control and great minds that have uncovered metaphysical secrets through countless generations. They are far removed from being uncivilized quarrelsome tribes of raiders and looters.

Kumar_Das
07 May 2011, 02:38 AM
I think at a extremely high level the the mahabharata and the bible could be considered as similar documents, but not in a subtle manner. I do not see methods offered in the "bible", as a friend on this forum recently explained, the difference between saguna and nirguna worship/recognition are absent, and through the mahabharata, I do not fear God. I only love God. In short, with a few exceptions such as the Sermon on the Mount, I do not see the similarities.
Peace,
Rich

"Through the Mahabharata, I do not fear God"

Fear of your Abrahamic deity

is the fear of something

- wild
- reckless
- torturous
- cruel
- evil
- psychotic

I think Richard Dawkins very beautifully put it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9PBbmNwBdY

Fearing the Abrahamic deity is for the cowardly and weak and doing so is infidelity to God.

Friend from the West
07 May 2011, 07:10 AM
Namaste to all,
Thanks but I do not have a Abrahamic deity. As far as Richard Dawkins, there are greater minds on this very forum than his, from folks who aren't making millions of dollars taking advantage of people's weaknesses. What is his relevance within the Sanatana Dharma anyhow?

I have gained much from people on this forum with both great knowledge and with the wisdom and compassion to make new folks like myself want to stick around and learn from them, despite the degree of hubris that is found here time to time.

Peace.
Rich

Kumar_Das
07 May 2011, 09:09 AM
Well if you are genuinely interested in being a Hindu, then I am happy for you. And best regards in your spiritual endeavour.:)

Eric11235
07 May 2011, 01:29 PM
Vannakam,

I apologize for my hubris, I did not realize that I would elicit such responses from the vast majority.

And while I have no one to blame but myself, I must point out that I did not say the bible or the mahabharata are better than one another (I see the mahabharata as superior), I simply noted that comparatively there are superficial similarities.

again, apologies on my part, I hate opening cans of worms yet I seem to do it far too regularly

Friend from the West
07 May 2011, 03:15 PM
Namaste all,
Kumar Das, I am sincere in my pursuit and I genuinely appreciate your regards at the end by way of your expressed sentiment. Thank you.
Eric, again, thanks for your thread. With your thread, made me think, and you elicited a comment apiece from Sahasranama and Yajvan that would not have seen and been able to reflect upon, and learn from, without your thread.
Peace.
Rich

yajvan
07 May 2011, 06:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

again, apologies on my part, I hate opening cans of worms yet I seem to do it far too regularly

No apologies needed. I hope you feel you are in friendly company.
All worms remain in the can.

http://cclonline.org/bloglcsw/uploaded_images/iStock_can-of-worms-749944.jpg

praṇām