PDA

View Full Version : yogacūḍāmaṇi

yajvan
21 May 2011, 06:52 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Many here ( at HDF) practice or aspire to practice some form of yoga. To which, one of the most recognized śāstra on the matter is patañjali’s yogadarśana (the yoga sūtra-s of patañjali). Yet there is a upaniṣad that is connected to sāma-ved called yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad. You may see it written yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad. It is not an introductory-like doctrine.

yogacūḍāmaṇi = yoga + cūḍāmaṇi
yoga योग = the act of yoking , joining , attaching ; yoga also means a way , manner , method
cūḍāmaṇi चूडामणि = gem or jewel
Hence this upaniṣad talks of the gem or jewel ( most valuable) method of yoga. It is made up of 120 śloka-s and IMHO worth considering in one's library.
Perhaps a few choice ideas can be offered here.
praṇām

iksvakave
22 May 2011, 04:45 AM
I like the idea of yogacudamani ---- where can I find the slokas?

Thank you
Iksvakave

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Many here ( at HDF) practice or aspire to practice some form of yoga. To which, one of the most recognized śāstra on the matter is patañjali’s yogadarśana (the yoga sūtra-s of patañjali). Yet there is a upaniṣad that is connected to sāma-ved called yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad. You may see it written yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad. It is not an introductory-like doctrine.

yogacūḍāmaṇi = yoga + cūḍāmaṇi
yoga योग = the act of yoking , joining , attaching ; yoga also means a way , manner , method
cūḍāmaṇi चूडामणि = gem or jewel
Hence this upaniṣad talks of the gem or jewel ( most valuable) method of yoga. It is made up of 120 śloka-s and IMHO worth considering in one's library.
Perhaps a few choice ideas can be offered here.
praṇām

yajvan
22 May 2011, 10:20 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

where can I find the slokas?
Thank you Iksvakave
I myself have a book on various upaniṣads. It is not the best offer I can recommend.
Here is one site: http://www.printsasia.com/book/Yoga-Chudamani-Upanishad-Crown-Jewel-of-Yoga-Treatise-on-Kundalini-Yoga-Original-Sanskrit-Text-with-8186336273-9788186336274 the you may wish to consider.

Also doing a google search on ' Yoga Chudamani Upanishad ' will also assist you.

praṇām

yajvan
22 May 2011, 09:44 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

It is interesting to note that the yoga sūtra-s of patañjali call out 8 limbs¹ to yoga. If we look to the śānḍilya upaniṣad (named after the ṛṣi asking questions to atharvan¹) as he says, please tell me about the eight aṅga-s (parts) of yoga which is the means of attaining to ātman.

So, aṣṭāṅga is established. Yet as we read the 2nd śloka of the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad, it calls out the yoga being stated with 6 (ṣaḍ-aṅga) parts. First one must ask what limbs are missing?

What two are not suggested in the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad ? They are yama and niyama.

Now my question to the esteemed HDF reader? What could be the rationale for these 2 most noble limbs not being on the list?

praṇām
words

8 limbs are called aṣṭāṅga yoga; aṣṭāṅga means 'consisting of 8 parts'
arthavan-ji
he is represented as a prajāpati
as brahmā's eldest son
the first learner and earliest teacher of brahma-vidyā
as the author of the atharva-veda
we are informed he is identical with aṅgiras
More on yama & niyama here : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2970
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=769

Arjuni
22 May 2011, 10:08 PM
Namasté, Yajvan,

You wrote in your first post that the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad is not an introductory-level guide. Could it be that the two "missing" limbs are the "prerequisites" - that the reader is expected to be well along the path of yama and niyama before even addressing this text?

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

yajvan
22 May 2011, 10:19 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté Indraneela,

Namasté, Yajvan,

You wrote in your first post that the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad is not an introductory-level guide. Could it be that the two "missing" limbs are the "prerequisites" - that the reader is expected to be well along the path of yama and niyama before even addressing this text?

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Yes, what you offer is spot-on. The very 1st śloka informs us that the yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad is for the interest of the yogi. That is, not starting at square one. Yama and niyama for the aspirant (yogi) is a work-in-process. Hence the upaniṣad therefore focuses on the remaining 6 limbs.

That said , it also surpasses the 6 limbs and talks of other components for the yogi's consideration. We will review a few of these in a future post.

praṇām