PDA

View Full Version : "You are a mleccha!" X(

Harinama
22 May 2011, 06:21 AM
:mad:

On Facebook, some Indian dude started telling me that I can't be Hindu because I wasn't born in India, beside the Sindhu river, and I look Asian.

Then we began arguing some... I asked him where does it say that you had to be born in Sanatana Dharma to practice it. He also called me a mleccha because I was born in another country...

The thing that denigrates me the most is that this guy does bad actions in private and thinks of Krishna while doing them, and he also eats meat and drinks alcohol, while I do none of those things.

Gah... makes me superficially want to become Christian. It would make my family happy, lol... but when I think of the Filipinos, and the Balinese, the Greeks and Nepalis and other small groups and countries that have become Hindu via some conversion, it makes me upset that this guy had the nerve to even tell me that I am not Hindu and that I am a mlechha!

I blocked him, lol.

Eastern Mind
22 May 2011, 06:53 AM
Vannakkam Harinama: You did the right thing. Its a mindset I also have encountered a few times. Despite the Hindu diaspora being vast with significant population:

Malaysia, Mauritius, Guyana, Fiji, Surinam, South Africa, Reunion, East Africa, all had significant early migrations from traders, and later indentured labour from British and Dutch imperialism. Sri Lanka has had Hinduism for at least 2000 years.

But returning to Xianity wouldn't help because there the 'other' are all heathens or pagans. :)

It can be quite disheartening, to say the least when someone says disparaging things. Trust me, its even worse in person. But I do think it does represent one particular point of view, and in the broad scope of things, its good for us all to know about it. The good trend is that that kind or radicalism is more common in the elderly. One time when it happened to me, the son of the perpetrator, who was an old traditionalist, apologised. So at least he didn't pass it on to his son. There is no gene for racism.

Aum Namasivaya

sanjaya
22 May 2011, 12:42 PM

On Facebook, some Indian dude started telling me that I can't be Hindu because I wasn't born in India, beside the Sindhu river, and I look Asian.

Then we began arguing some... I asked him where does it say that you had to be born in Sanatana Dharma to practice it. He also called me a mleccha because I was born in another country...

The thing that denigrates me the most is that this guy does bad actions in private and thinks of Krishna while doing them, and he also eats meat and drinks alcohol, while I do none of those things.

Gah... makes me superficially want to become Christian. It would make my family happy, lol... but when I think of the Filipinos, and the Balinese, the Greeks and Nepalis and other small groups and countries that have become Hindu via some conversion, it makes me upset that this guy had the nerve to even tell me that I am not Hindu and that I am a mlechha!

I blocked him, lol.

That's odd. I was born in the U.S., but no one's ever said I can't be Hindu. Can I take the "it would make my family happy" comment to mean you aren't Indian? This would explain it, though it certainly doesn't justify it.

Anyway, if you ever decide to unblock this guy, feel free to tell him about the large number of Indians, such as myself, born well away from the Sindhu River, whom he would have to discount as Hindus if he wants to stick to his logic. :)

Harinama
22 May 2011, 05:31 PM
That's odd. I was born in the U.S., but no one's ever said I can't be Hindu. Can I take the "it would make my family happy" comment to mean you aren't Indian? This would explain it, though it certainly doesn't justify it.

Anyway, if you ever decide to unblock this guy, feel free to tell him about the large number of Indians, such as myself, born well away from the Sindhu River, whom he would have to discount as Hindus if he wants to stick to his logic. :)

This young man is my age, and we're both Canadian by birth. He is in an Indian body, and I am in a Filipino body.

I will not unblock him. The last thing I need is negative comments when I'm trying to immerse myself fully in Vaishnava Dharma. I fully support that everyone was a follower of Sanatana Dharma prior to Kali-yuga, and I will continue to uphold that idea.

Nowhere in shastra does it say that non-Indians are not followers of Sanatana Dharma, especially when we have historical evidences of Southeast Asians, and Greeks adopting Sanatana Dharma. If there is some shloka, I would love to see it!

Water
22 May 2011, 10:47 PM
I was told I wasn't Hindu and I agree. :)
If I was told I wasn't a Hindu, I might disagree...

There's a couple of ways he could mean that....

Hindu people, like Filipino people, are a specific ethnicity. It's a bit like me saying you aren't a Chicano - you aren't and you can't become one. :)

In that way... you certainly can never become Hindu.

If he means that you can't be a Hindu.... that means something quite a bit different, I think. This is closer to what you interpreted it as. Unfortunately, that's probably the context he meant it in... and in that case, who cares? He's on block, ya? :)

devotee
22 May 2011, 10:56 PM

I blocked him, lol.

Why should you take this guy so seriously ? Someone blabbers something and the other starts having nightmares ! huh !!

You have nothing else worthwhile to do than chatting with this good-for-nothing-hot-air-filled-in-the-head guy ??

OM

Harinama
23 May 2011, 02:08 AM
Hah, I guess I'm just naive. XD I had him for a little bit because I assumed that he was from ISKCON... he seemed to have some connections, and he also added me from GALVA (Gay And Lesbian Vaishnava Association), so I just added him.

sunyata07
23 May 2011, 12:43 PM
Namaste Harinama,

I've experienced the same thing when I first regarded myself as Hindu online somewhere (not Facebook). I remember being very upset by it at the time. I guess like yourself I was a little naive about the whole thing. I had this fool's hope that all Hindus would be welcoming me with open arms. I even at one time actually believed all Hindus were vegetarian and followed a strictly sattvic lifestyle! I guess that maybe it's just hard for neophytes not to be wide-eyed and idealistic. For those who say, "shrug such things off", yes, it helps to grow a thicker skin. But it can be easier said than done, especially if you are new to all this. You really have no idea how much it hurts the first time you come face to face with it.

IMHO, this persistent and very stubborn belief among some Indian Hindus that you need to be born into a Hindu family in order to practice Sanatana Dharma is something that will have to change in the future if it is to continue to survive. I'm surprised that with the rates of people converting either to Christianity or Islam, some of these more traditionally-minded Hindus aren't thrilled to see growing numbers of non-Indians willingly and very passionately wanting to embrace the teachings of their beautiful faith. Even though I admit that being born Indian or Hindu would have been a great convenience, I cannot say that I'm sorry for the body I was born with! Sanatana Dharma is universal, timeless; therefore, it has no inherent racial basis. It has always been, and been everywhere, waiting to be realised by the great souls of our world. It so happened that all this wisdom took root in India and flourished from there. People have confused the cultural wellspring that is India from which Hinduism has grown with the ethnic distinction itself of being Indian as a requirement for being Hindu. And yet, what good is it to be born into a Brahmin family, if the individual grows up a nastika? Can karma be excluded so blatantly from all these considerations?

There is no gene for racism.

Yes, and thank God for it! :)

Om namah Shivaya

Friend from the West
23 May 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi and namaste, Harinama

I ask you most respectfully, why argue a point that doesn't need argued?
You have worshipped and our well read. You know what the truth is. Don't let someone identify what and who you are. It seems you are discovering this for yourself. I wish you only the best. Stay strong.
I have recently taken a few weeks off the forum to focus on sadhana (I hope I am using in proper context). A friend who I have known since I was five (over 42 years) and who is a christian preacher went to lunch with me during this time. The issues I had afterwards were great. I have no guru, only this site (a blessing) and a good helper on it (equally a blessing) , my worship, and the truth of the great power and peace of Brahman to see me through. The truth of the Sanatana Dharma. I wish this for you.
Take care,
Rich

anirvan
24 May 2011, 08:45 AM
Dear Harinama,its just internet bullying,that guy can never be a spiritual person with little saddistic attitude of bullying for fun.

Cheers!

yajvan
24 May 2011, 12:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

We encounter people in our lives for various reasons. If one feels ~bruised~ by an encounter what is the lesson that is being offered?

We are offered lessons¹ ... I have had many . For some, I learned for others, I had the lesson repeated several times.
You see, no one can 'make' you feel one way or the other. The 'making' is in you.

praṇām

lessons : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3912&highlight=sth%26%23363%3Bla+%26%23347%3Bar%26%23299%3Bra (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3912&highlight=sth%26%23363%3Bla+%26%23347%3Bar%26%23299%3Bra)

Obelisk
25 May 2011, 10:31 AM
Namaste Harinama,

I wonder if this dude would say that the gentlemen over at Shiv Sena etc., who are doing a wonderful job at defaming SD in India, are "more Hindu" than a Sanathana Dharmi born in the West or any other non-Sindhu side place? IMHO, attitude like that shows nothing but ignorance about the dharma he claims to be following. The contribution of non-Indian Hindus to SD has been immense, and to be honest, I have often noticed that their knowledge and understanding of SD has been much greater than Indian Hindus. May I be damned to an eternity in hell (a punishment which doesn't exist in our dharma :D) if I ever use the "m-word" regarding them! And I happen to come from an orthodox Brahmin family.

There's no reason why you should let people like this upset you or put you off your spiritual pursuit. Dharma is eternal and not the "copyright" of anyone in a small portion of this vast universe. :) May God bestow wisdom on that guy and let him realize how seriously he's gone off the trail on this topic. All the best!

TatTvamAsi
24 June 2011, 11:32 PM
LOL.. whatever you guys may think, that guy was NOT me! :D

twista88
04 July 2011, 04:36 AM
My dear brother,

Do not give attention to this facebook incident, that individual is one of the many bad flocks of earth and religion. All they want to generate is hatred and animosity. The Vedic Faith does not discriminate against any living being and our faith prescribes love and compassion for animals. From here one can see the truth about our religion.

I welcome you with an open-heart to the Vedic faith and may you find eternal peace from Vedic wisdom.

Jai Shri Ram!

I blocked him, lol.

kallol
04 July 2011, 12:30 PM

I blocked him, lol.

Rule :

Anything which is beyond your control and diminishes your state of spiritual mind - try to avoid.

This can be wrt ritualistic religion, politics, societal problems, marital problems, children, etc.

You can only suggest upto a certain point that too with proper logic and knowledge - taking or not taking is theirs. Do not try to impose.

Spiritually we are suppose to grow ourselves - it is more individual oriented. We are not here to change others (if they do not want).

Blocking - right way to avoid

Love and best wishes