PDA

View Full Version : Ganesh-ji and question about Puja

WTyler
22 May 2011, 08:35 PM
In praying to Ganesh, am I also praying to all the other Gods since they are all equally brahman?

Is there anything I should know before meditating upon Ganesh? Is it substantial to meditate upon him alone? Or only as a gateway and then I should meditate upon another God.

Can I meditiate upon Ganesh and then Vishnu? I know some think the two are not compatible. Is it fine to do Ganesh Mantra with a tulsi mala? It is the only one I have!

Also, about Puja.. Does it matter how ritualistic it is? Do I have to chant all the names of the deity? Or will lighting candles, doing japa, offering water and meditating be enough?

Thank you and blessings..

Eastern Mind
23 May 2011, 06:31 AM
In praying to Ganesh, am I also praying to all the other Gods since they are all equally brahman?

Is there anything I should know before meditating upon Ganesh? Is it substantial to meditate upon him alone? Or only as a gateway and then I should meditate upon another God.

Can I meditiate upon Ganesh and then Vishnu? I know some think the two are not compatible. Is it fine to do Ganesh Mantra with a tulsi mala? It is the only one I have!

Also, about Puja.. Does it matter how ritualistic it is? Do I have to chant all the names of the deity? Or will lighting candles, doing japa, offering water and meditating be enough?

Thank you and blessings..

Vannakkam WTyler: The first question would depend on sects. In some Saivism, Ganesha is Siva's helper, given specific duties. In Smartism, He is one of many you could choose. The Ganapatya sect sees Him as Supreme God. In Vaishnivism, I believe it depends on which Vaishnivism. Certainly He is worshipped in South Indian Vishnu temples, which also answers one of your other questions. When I was at the Venkateshwar temple in Pittsburgh, there was an important shrine to him as you entered before going up further to worship Vishnu. A reasonably elaborate puja to Him was going on as we entered.

Meditation, or prayers top Ganesha will vary a lot. It is said that He is more aware of worldly stuff like travel. So many Hindus worship Him before beginning ANY task.

With Puja, it really doesn't matter how ritualistic it is. There are resources on line. Try googling 'Ganesha Puja'. Himalayan Academy has one but there are others as well. In puja, a correct respectful attitude is key, such as showering before you start.

Hope this is of some help. I know there is more info here on HDF also.

Aum Namasivaya