PDA

View Full Version : Carrying an idol of Shiva in pocket?

Spiritualseeker
23 May 2011, 06:56 PM
Namaste,

I have been reading about a Buddhist priest in the 13th century who used to carry an idol of shakyamuni buddha the great sadhu. I was thinking about carrying a small statue in my pocket of Shiva or ganesha. Do you think this is good idea or is it insulting to Shiva and Ganesha?

Adhvagat
23 May 2011, 07:07 PM
I carry a Rama and a Shiva printed paintings in my wallet.

Not sure an idol would be the best choice.

TheOne
23 May 2011, 08:18 PM
I used to occaisonly carry a Buddha in my pocket, I found that one focuses more on the form of it rather than actually on the message. I think it needs a better home, that's why I put it in my fish tank.

Spiritualseeker
23 May 2011, 08:29 PM
Hehe for some reason i find the fish tank thing a little funny, but not in a bad way..

I was thinking of just having it as a reminder. Sort of like the mala. I have decided to devote myself to the mystic law of Shiva and Ganesha. I want to try to silently chant Om Namah Sivaya over 50,000 times. It will be difficult for me. But I want reminders so i can stay in a constant act of devotion and chant the sacred mantra that can liberate one from samsara. Om Namah Sivaya

zenvicky
24 May 2011, 01:24 AM
Many Hindu carry photos of God in their wallet/pocket. I have God Shiva's, Hanuman Chalisa and Aum pic in my Wallet. Got this thing from my father and feel good about it. My father is keeping Shiva's photo in shirt's pocket from a long time. Many other wear locket around neck with God's photo in it. You can always carry it with your self.

Water
24 May 2011, 12:23 PM
Why not get rudraksha instead? Or a maalaa?

yajvan
24 May 2011, 12:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

ॐ रुद्राय नमः
oṁ rudrāya namaḥ

More on this idea of rudrākṣa if there is interest at this HDF post:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6228

praṇām

Spiritualseeker
25 May 2011, 07:33 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

ॐ रुद्राय नमः
oṁ rudrāya namaḥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=65214#post65214)

More on this idea of rudrākṣa if there is interest at this HDF post:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6228

praṇām

Namaste,

That was some good reading. I think I might get some of these. I had also order a very small 1" Ganesha to carry in my pocket. It still doesn't seem like everyone agrees on that idea. Rudraksa would be great. I think I will look into that. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Divine Kala
26 May 2011, 04:29 AM
It seems to me that you are going down a line very similar to the Lingayats (otherwise known as Veerashaivas) who carry a personal ishtalinga on them at all times to remind them on Shiva. If the murti helps you, then keep it with you. I wear rudraksha day and night (they never come off >.>) but find that I tend to forget about them...

Arav
08 June 2011, 02:06 PM
Namaste,

That was some good reading. I think I might get some of these. I had also order a very small 1" Ganesha to carry in my pocket. It still doesn't seem like everyone agrees on that idea. Rudraksa would be great. I think I will look into that. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I like the rudraksha idea, I subscribe to the practice. Instead of walking around with a little miniature of Shiva, or an image of Him in my wallet, I just wear Rudraksha beads around my neck. They arent that expensive. You can buy some from Minimela, Krishnaculture, and other websites!

Jainarayan
08 June 2011, 02:15 PM
I was just thinking about this today.

I wear a pendant with an enamled image of Mahalakshmi, on a silver chain. I am also going to make wallet size copies of the pictures in my shrine and carry them with me. I would like to keep one in my truck also. I think pictures are more practical than even a tiny idol.

Ramakrishna
10 June 2011, 02:36 PM
Namaste SS,

I personally carry pictures of Lord Krishna and Lord Ganesha in my wallet. I also wear a necklace with an Aum pendant. Wearing rudraksha sounds like a better devotion to Lord Shiva, rather than carrying a small murti which can get easily damaged or lost.

Jai Sri Ram

sarangi dasi
12 June 2011, 03:19 AM
Hehe for some reason i find the fish tank thing a little funny, but not in a bad way..

I was thinking of just having it as a reminder. Sort of like the mala. I have decided to devote myself to the mystic law of Shiva and Ganesha. I want to try to silently chant Om Namah Sivaya over 50,000 times. It will be difficult for me. But I want reminders so i can stay in a constant act of devotion and chant the sacred mantra that can liberate one from samsara. Om Namah Sivaya

Well the sanctioned "idol" for Lord Shiva is the Shivalinga. In fact, as I recall it, other forms of Shiva are proscribed for worship. Of course these points may not be relevant for "remembrance" rather than worship but from a bhakti point of view (where I am coming from) remembrance is a a manasik form of worship anyway.

Have you considered hand mudras for either Shiva or Ganesha remembrance?

srinidhi
26 July 2011, 11:39 AM
I wear a mangalsutra (sacred marriage thread) that has Shiva Lingam (representing Lord Shiva) and Thiruman Sangu Chakram (representing Lord Vishnu is) on it. Shiva Lingam is from husband side and Sangu chakram from my family's side.This is our family tradition. It looks similar to this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2448329673_273e88e175.jpg except it is in a gold chain. I also wear gold necklaces of Sri Lakshmi, Sri Krishna and sometimes wear a bracelet that says "Om Nama Shivaya" in Sanskrit. In India, women don't hesitate to wear more than one necklace.

You can take a similar approach and wear a gold Shiva Lingam pendant in gold chain.

Arjuni
19 March 2012, 01:11 PM
Namasté,

This morning, I learned about a type of Śiva linga that may be carried with the devotee:

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2012/03/bana-linga-shivling-with-striations.html (http://www.hindu-blog.com/2012/03/bana-linga-shivling-with-striations.html)

And very beautiful besides! I hope the write-up helps the OP, and any others seeking the same answer, as well.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Amala
26 March 2012, 06:49 PM
Namaste,
I would opt for the Krishnaculture site. You can get a 108-bed mala for $7. Minimela is $25... an unnecessary expenditure, especially for a Shiva bhakta who may well be walking a path toward renunciation.

I like the rudraksha idea, I subscribe to the practice. Instead of walking around with a little miniature of Shiva, or an image of Him in my wallet, I just wear Rudraksha beads around my neck. They arent that expensive. You can buy some from Minimela, Krishnaculture, and other websites!

shian
26 March 2012, 10:26 PM
Carrying liontin (with pic ) and sanskrit mantra or name of Deitys ;)

when i go everywhere (maybe hotel) i can use it for simple puja ;)
with a simple offerings, short dhoopa, candy, one fruit, snack, mineral water, or even one flower, anythings we can offer
everywhere, anytime, before we eat, we also can offer it to God , no need long time, only need a few second then God will receive it