PDA

View Full Version : Japa of Gods Names

Spiritualseeker
24 May 2011, 08:18 AM
So I have found that I love doing japa more than any other practice. I was wondering has anyone attained moksha by reciting mantras? I use Om Namah Sivaya, Lord Ganesha mantras, and other Shiva mantras. If I devoted myself to constantly throughout the day when I am mindful to do japa silently and sometimes outloud. In cases where I am at work obviously it would be silently in my mind. I also love doing japa walking. I recite the mantra as I do a walking meditation. Are there any good example of people becoming enlightened by japa?

devotee
24 May 2011, 10:54 AM
Namaste SS,

Japa is considered to be the best way to God in Kailyuga. It is said, "Ram se bada Ram ka naam" ===> Name of God is greater than God Himself !

In the Bhakti Path, Japa has a very high place for the devotee.

"Hari Om Tat Sat" japaa kar, japaa kar ! ===> (O' devotee), Repeatedly do the japa of "Hari Om Tat Sat".

That is only an example. You may do any japa that you like. "Om Namah Shivaya" is one of those.

OM

Spiritualseeker
24 May 2011, 11:21 AM
Good to talk to you Devotee. I find this such a wonderful to practice as additional spiritual work throughout the day. I find the said mantras (from any tradition but in this example I'll use Lord Shiva) contain the whole life of Lord Shiva. Om Namah Shivaya contains the life or the essence of Shiva. Reciting it is our intoning of this Mystic Truth into our lives. I think that if I devote myself to reciting repetively in mindfulness it will reveal itself to me as Atman.

Om Namah Shivaya!

Ganeshprasad
24 May 2011, 03:30 PM
Pranam Spiritualseeker

Chanting the names off the lord is youg dharma.

if you like you can read up on Valmiki ji

story off Ajamil, who on his death bed called to his son Narayan and he was saved.Such is the potency of the names off the Lord, as Devotee ji said Ram se bada ram ka naam.

Goswami Tulsidas writes in his Ramchritra Manas

The age of Kali is a store house of impurities and vices but it has many virtues too. Final emancipation is possible in the Kali age without any exertion. Moreover, the same goal which is reached through worship of God, performance of sacrifices or the practice of Yoga in the Satyayuga and in the Treta and Dwapara yuga, men are able to attain through the name of Sri Hari in the Kali age. No other age can compare with the Kali age provided a man has faith (in its virtue); for in this age one can easily cross the ocean of transmigration simply by singing Sri Ram's holy praises.

Glories of Nama –smarana is extolled by nardmuni.
Narshimehta became Ghelo (mad)
Mira became bavri

It is all the more auspicious that you are chanting Lord Shivas name.

Jai Shree Krishna

rkpande
25 May 2011, 12:17 AM
where have you been SS, seen you after quite a while. How is your wife, she wasnt well, when you posted last.
missed you.

Spiritualseeker
25 May 2011, 07:16 AM
Pranam Spiritualseeker

Chanting the names off the lord is youg dharma.

if you like you can read up on Valmiki ji

story off Ajamil, who on his death bed called to his son Narayan and he was saved.Such is the potency of the names off the Lord, as Devotee ji said Ram se bada ram ka naam.

Goswami Tulsidas writes in his Ramchritra Manas

The age of Kali is a store house of impurities and vices but it has many virtues too. Final emancipation is possible in the Kali age without any exertion. Moreover, the same goal which is reached through worship of God, performance of sacrifices or the practice of Yoga in the Satyayuga and in the Treta and Dwapara yuga, men are able to attain through the name of Sri Hari in the Kali age. No other age can compare with the Kali age provided a man has faith (in its virtue); for in this age one can easily cross the ocean of transmigration simply by singing Sri Ram's holy praises.

Glories of Nama –smarana is extolled by nardmuni.
Narshimehta became Ghelo (mad)
Mira became bavri

It is all the more auspicious that you are chanting Lord Shivas name.

Jai Shree Krishna

Very nice explanation thank you. I realized after reading your post that Hindus and Buddhists share the view of certain ages and that some ages as you mentioned are filled with impurities. I noticed that in Buddhism the Pure Land sect states that since we are in the last age of dharma we must rely upon the mantra Namo Amida Butsu or Namu amitabha Buddhaya. The Nichiren says in this evil age the only thing that can save us is Namu Myoho Renge Kyo. I am finding a trend when it comes to the sacred mantras, that it is a very merit producing practice. Especially the great ancient Mantras of the Gods. I am thinking about making a thread on the merits of mantra recitation. Once again very encouraging post thank you.

where have you been SS, seen you after quite a while. How is your wife, she wasnt well, when you posted last.
missed you.

Thank you for your very kind words. I have missed you all also. My wife is still having problems, but she is doing much better than before thank you for asking. I hope you have been doing well. I look forward to learning some more on here.