PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of second offense in chanting holy name

caitanya
25 May 2011, 03:46 AM
Coul someone please make me understand the exact meaninng of following shloka from padma purana regarding the offense :

sivasya sri-visnor ya iha guna-namadi-sakalam
dhiya bhinnam pasyet sa khalu hari-namahita-karah

Some interpretations teel that it means to think that name and qualities of Shiva and Vishnu are diffrerent is an offense . Yet some other say that to think names and qualities of Shiva Vishnu are equal is an offense . Which one of the two is true meaning ?
Could you please enlighten me as My knowledge of sanskrit is questionable .

Thanks

caitanya .

jaswant
27 May 2011, 09:32 AM
Some interpretations feel that it means to think that name and qualities of Shiva and Vishnu are diffrerent is an offense .

thats what i feel ! - - but iam no expert at all.

j

smaranam
27 May 2011, 10:10 AM
sivasya sri-visnor ya iha guna-namadi-sakalam
dhiya bhinnam pasyet sa khalu hari-namahita-karah

Namaste,

Acc. to me, just my humble opinion : "shiva" here means all-auspicious as an adjective, not Lord Shiva. It is saying that Shri VishNu, His unlimited transcendental qualities (guN) and His Holy Names, are all auspicious. One who undermines the Holy Names, calls them mundane, their effect an exaggeration or different from The Lord Himself are commiting an offense to the Names - nAmaparAdh. Thus the devotee will not develop their bhakti-latA-beej (seed of creeper of devotion) into a beautiful latA (creeper of devotion) that breaks thru the material and reached the spiritual sky to the Lotus Feet of Lord VishNu.

That being said, IMHO worshippers of Shiva and VishNu each go different routes, see different sceneries, experience different things. Otherwise why would They bother to exist in two different forms ?

He nAth nArAyaNa vAsudeva

Murlimanohar he ShyAm Giridhar
namAmi KrushNam namAmi KrushNam

praNAm

caitanya
28 May 2011, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the replies ..@smaranam ...This looks to me a more genuine meaning . What is the source of this interpretation .? Also do we have endorsement of the same or other meanings from learned pandits of sanskrit or acharyas .

OM

Caitanya.

smaranam
30 May 2011, 07:34 PM
@smaranam ...This looks to me a more genuine meaning . What is the source of this interpretation .? Also do we have endorsement of the same or other meanings from learned pandits of sanskrit or acharyas .

OM

Caitanya.

Hare KrushNa

Perhaps i am not the right person to ask. That interpretation was mine. Most translations i have seen are from VaishNav acharyas and they give BOTH interpretations in one breath. 1. Holy Names of VishNu are all-auspicious and non-different from Him. 2. Do not equate Shri Hari to other devtas - that is an offense.

http://nitaaiveda.com/All_Scriptures_By_Acharyas/Shachinandana_Swami/The_Nectarean_Ocean_of_the_Holy_Name/Appendix/Sri_Harinamamrta-sloka-mala-satastaka/The_Ten_Offenses_against_the_Chanting_of_the_Holy_Name.htm

http://gosai.com/chaitanya/saranagati/html/siksa/siksa-10.html (see verses under title "Chanting")

There is another verse which says considering other devtas including Lord BrahmA and Rudra the same as nArAyaN is totally detrimental to Hari (nArAyaN) bhakti and says something more - better not bring that verse here.

My qn to you is - do you want to develop Hari bhakti ? Then it is better to be one-pointed on Shri Hari. To your surprise, Lord ShivJi may give you a surprise visit one day, pleased by your devotion to Shri Hari, not Himself.

VaishNavs and Lord Shiva are mutually happy when He is looked at as Gopeshwar Mahadev (highest devotee of VishNu) and taken shelter of in this way FOR Hari Bhakti.

Shankaracharya, Shiva incarnate also says PArabrahman is VishNu, and Shiva glorifies VishNu as THE param in Padma PurAN.

So better to just seek Lord Shiva's blessings for Hari bhakti. Bholenath ShivJi is very pleased with good VishNu devotees as it is.

Jai Gopeshwar Mahadev
Jai Shri KrushNa

caitanya
01 June 2011, 06:33 AM
Smaranam .....Thanks for the details . MY concern was if you dont follow the right meaning then you are doing offense ..so wanted to be clear about the offense ...Anyways...For me I personally would like to go with the interpretation that thinking shiva and vishnu are different is an offense .

JAi shre Krishna
Om namah Shivaya .