PDA

View Full Version : Moving to India...

cmorel02
31 May 2011, 01:50 PM
So I'm about to turn 18 years old, and thinking since i follow the Sanatana Dharma, why not move to India. Escape this horble world of the West, who's obsessed about hating everyone who's gay, not Christian, ect. India, I imagine, is a much better place for people like me. Like us. So I was wondering what the Indian economy was like. Would there be jobs available for an English-French speaking...ex-American? I'm not talking about crazy paying jobs. something that will get me shelter, close to a local Shiva (that's preferably, but wouldn't care really), and enough food for one. Maybe a dog, too. I don't know.

Ganeshprasad
31 May 2011, 02:45 PM
Pranam

if you never been to India be prepared for cultural shock, India is not immune from all those thing you mention. It has her own problems with sheer numbers.

If you have this romantic notion that India will insulate you from what you are running away from the west, you will be disappointed.

i am not trying to dissuade from going, it is a wonderful place still, in spite off it's many problems.

It would be best to have several holidays there than you can judge for your self

Jai Shree Krishna

sanjaya
31 May 2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with Ganeshprasad, you should make take a couple trips there and experience it, because it'd be a really bad idea to just buy a one-way ticket and pack your bags. My parents are always talking about how horrible life in India is, and how glad they are that they moved here. Granted they're more economic than spiritual minded, but still...

India is great in that everyone is Hindu. But there's also rampant government corruption, dirty infrastructure (in some places you have to go to the bathroom in an outhouse), and life is overall a fair bit more complicated. Granted I'm not speaking from personal experience since I've never lived there. But for all the complaining we do about the West, it has its share of problems.

As far as people here hating gays and non-Christians, there are some people in India who hate Muslims. Not that I'm a big fan of Muslims, but India is (sadly) not immune to hatred either.

Eastern Mind
31 May 2011, 03:25 PM
So I'm about to turn 18 years old, and thinking since i follow the Sanatana Dharma, why not move to India. Escape this horble world of the West, who's obsessed about hating everyone who's gay, not Christian, ect. India, I imagine, is a much better place for people like me. Like us. So I was wondering what the Indian economy was like. Would there be jobs available for an English-French speaking...ex-American? I'm not talking about crazy paying jobs. something that will get me shelter, close to a local Shiva (that's preferably, but wouldn't care really), and enough food for one. Maybe a dog, too. I don't know.

Vannakkam cmorel02: I second the previous posts. I've been there twice, am a staunch Hindu of nearly 40 years, and don't know if I could do it.

Not only that, there are immigration hurdles to contend with. Normally, you would only be granted a 6 month visa, and have to have it renewed every six months by leaving the country. There are exceptions in the areas of employment, marrying an Indian citizen, and such, but it is very hard. You can't just up and move because you want to. In fact you can;t even move to Canada nor I to the US that easily at all.

There will be temples EVERYWHERE! That's one of the beauties. Speaking French might me an advantage. Pondicherry in the south is a former french colony.

Don't be discouraged, just be realistic. Go take a look for 2 or 3 months. For about 1500 in air fare, and maybe another 300 - 1000 per month depending on how you want to live, why not go take a 2 - 3 month look?

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
31 May 2011, 06:47 PM
Namasté,

Cmorel, one idea for you might be to sign on with a volunteer program. Just last week I read about this organisation - http://www.vtseva.com/ (http://www.vtseva.com/) - specifically looking for Hindu youth to perform service, and there are many, many more groups that would be happy to have the help of an enthusiastic, energetic young person.

Also, it's summer, you're nearly 18; I'm guessing you're about to graduate, or have graduated, high school? It may be past many deadlines, but you could apply to university over there, if higher education appeals to you?

A third possibility would be to look into training that you could take anywhere in the world. One example is nursing; licensed nurses are required everywhere, and in exchange for 2-3 years of schooling, you could have a stable, much-needed career that would earn you a decent living and enable you to immigrate anywhere you wanted, as well as volunteer with medical organisations where your service would be invaluable.

Airfare to India is no small expense; I'm just now able to afford it and only because there's a sale currently. So if the funds to get over there are a difficulty for you, save all you can with a job locally, and meanwhile, use your spare time to learn everything possible. Teach yourself Hindi or Tamil or Telugu or all of them; read about temple customs, clothing, foodways, everything you can so that you'll be more comfortable when you go.

I know it's intensely frustrating to have a dream you're passionate about, and run into hurdles and delays when you just want to take off running! These are just a few suggestions to hopefully make the race a little easier.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.